Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2002, 21:27 (Ref:344776)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was the old section of the old Hockenheim dug up?

That doesn't make sense to me. Chopping the track in half was bad enough, but to dig up the old circuit and replace it with trees makes no sense to me at all! Why couldn't they just leave the old circuit in place so other racing formulas could use it like World Superbikes?:confused:
Old 28 Jul 2002, 21:47 (Ref:344789)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
proberbly hade to promise to replace the trees that they cut down for the new track, and the only place they could go was on the old track!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 03:36 (Ref:344951)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, wonder how the Superbike riders will enjoy the changes to Hockenheim? Wonder if they'll even race there anymore?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 06:06 (Ref:344996)   #4
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
proberbly hade to promise to replace the trees that they cut down for the new track, and the only place they could go was on the old track!
As the new track is a lot shorter than the old one, I would expect (sp?) we would end up (eventually) with more trees than we had before.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 06:15 (Ref:345002)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it's totally because of the trees. But really - why couldn't they just go and plant trees somewhere else instead of over one of the finest circuits in existence (overtaking wise - i know it wasn't much of a driving challenge).

Manoz, yeah I doubt the bikes will like the track - and it seems in motorcycling championships, they like to have at least half decent tracks.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 06:18 (Ref:345004)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
As the new track is a lot shorter than the old one, I would expect (sp?) we would end up (eventually) with more trees than we had before.
I don't think so. The areas that were cleared to build the grandstands, new track and provide other open space looked as if they dropped a nuclear bomb on the site. There were many old trees that were knocked down in this process. I would lay money that the new replanting would not compensate for the damage done. Anyway, for a very passionate detailed viewpoint, you might like to send Miss Hardt a PM to ask her opinion.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 29 Jul 2002 at 06:20.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 07:51 (Ref:345051)   #7
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will end up with more trees...they cut out 47 Ha and they will plant 68 Ha....

I loved the old trees and the old track.
I don't give a about the new track and new trees...they are artificial!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 08:28 (Ref:345082)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why? to quote a famous phrase...for the fans. or more likely to build that mercedes stand and get more ad boards on the telly.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:53 (Ref:345227)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
In answer to the question, so that there can be no return to the old circuit, however unpopular the new one is. Can't have Max n'Bernie looking silly can we, so best dig up miles of history and ensure good racing is lost forever from another track.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:45 (Ref:345859)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah... they seemed to be in an awful rush to dig up the old track...

It should of course have been kept for posterity like the Nurburgring's "Nordschleife". I can't believe how ignorant they are, they are not giving a damn about Hockenheim's history.

Last edited by R; 29 Jul 2002 at 23:55.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 00:19 (Ref:345875)   #11
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shows an enormous disrespect to the drivers who lost their lives on that stretch of track.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 06:37 (Ref:345999)   #12
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Hmm, wonder how the Superbike riders will enjoy the changes to Hockenheim? Wonder if they'll even race there anymore?
The new Hockenheim reminds me of Brands Hatch - coming into the valley lined with grandstands. The bikers love Brands!

Quote:
Originally posted by DMC
It shows an enormous disrespect to the drivers who lost their lives on that stretch of track.
Agreed - I trust they'll move the memorials (or create new ones) to Giles and the others inside the track somewhere where they can be seen and appreciated? I hope so for the fans sake, though its sacrilege they have to be moved at all!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:21 (Ref:346298)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An absolute disgrace.

Great moments, the talk about Hockenheim 1982 made me get it out and have a look at the race again, wonderful stuff, as has already been mentioned, Piquet and Salazar, Tambay scoring his first win for Maranello a day after Pironi suffered his terrible injuries.

2000, Barrichello's stunning drive, and i guess it is fitting that the last race on the real track produced a home winner.

Makes me appreciate more the track 'Catalina Park' which hasn't been used since the mid 70s, is in the middle of a town in the blue mountains, which hasn't been touched, even down to all the barriers and old tyre stacks are still in place, tarmac only slightly damaged through some weeds growing through the track, maintanence sheds still up, even down to the old 60s style start/finish signs still there, and is less than an hour from my place, i shall visit it even more now.