Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:40 (Ref:469828)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rod Longton still campaigns various MGB's. He'll no doubt be out to play at Silverstone for the MGCC festival.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:59 (Ref:469829)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now then. Not wishing to harp on about MG's but there's another famous MG racer. I'm going to have to look out my books again this weekend.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 10:25 (Ref:469830)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sadly, Bill Nicholson died in the early nineties. Wonder what happend to his car?

Another name is Barry Sidery-Smith. He organises events at Spa etc. and owns the works MGB DRX 255C (I think thats the reg no).

BTW. I was referring to Roger Enever in the previous post. Son of MG designer Sid Enever. Roger was famous for crashing one of the works B's (7 DBL?) on the Tour de France in '65.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 18 Jul 2002 at 10:27.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 06:24 (Ref:469831)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
I'm very saddened. I had no idea Bill Nicholson was gone.

He was a fixture in the grids of modified sports cars throughout the seventies, and I rather suspect before that too. Wasn't "286FAC" his car?
286 FAC was indeed the car.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 09:37 (Ref:469832)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Slightly on/off topic. I've just come back to the office from a short trip down the Chiswick High Road. The old Chequered Flag Garage is no more but in its place is a BMW Mini dealership.

Just getting nostalgic there.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 18:28 (Ref:469833)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm very saddened. I had no idea Bill Nicholson was gone.

He was a fixture in the grids of modified sports cars throughout the seventies, and I rather suspect before that too. Wasn't "286FAC" his car?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 16:03 (Ref:469834)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The MG Midget registered SS1800 - surely that's John Britten?
Old 24 Jul 2002, 12:11 (Ref:469835)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Andrew, any idea on whose the gold Cortina is in your pic?
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:10 (Ref:469836)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cyd Williams, eh? That I didn't expect!

Yes please, would love to see the finished project.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 14:56 (Ref:469837)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Now, doesn't 1628VC still survive though? I'm sure that was the number on Tiff Needell's Jaguar at Goodwood these last two years.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 19:42 (Ref:469838)   #11
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love all the images, brings back all sorts of memories from Brands and Crystal Palace. But is there anyway we could get these in a seperate area with thumbnail photos ?

I really like the one with the Pan Am 707 and the 3 Cortinas about to be loaded.

Simon

PS Thanks for sharing the memories !
Old 28 Jul 2002, 01:54 (Ref:469839)   #12
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen
Keep the pics coming this is a great forum.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:22 (Ref:469840)   #13
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spadge
The gentleman that owns the Costin-Nathan that you show, also owns A Serinissma sports racer from 1965. It looks 1 nice race car.
Also how many Coldwell's were made.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 13:12 (Ref:469841)   #14
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Scatley
As Yimkin has been mentioned I thought I would post a picture of my Austin Seven that was modified by Yimkin in 1961 Polished head and valves Sprite cam and Distributer no damper in SU and lighter carb spring, The firm was called Gordon and Glynn, in Codagan Plce London. There was a Yimkin club car and I think a FJ. I did a few hillclimbs and autocross with my Mini
Yes Fred, there was an FJ - they built two of the same model - a variation of the club car. In fact, we had one and my dad finished 2nd in the 1984 FJ championship in it (front engined). I am fairly certain that the Yimkin car was separate to the firm who did your mini. It was built by Don Sim, (also responsible for the Diva) who we met at Brands last month - an extremely nice guy. 'Our' Yimkin spent some time in the museum at Monza after we sold it, before being raced in the FIA championship. Its now for sale and we want to buy it back! It was a truly great car with viceless handling, and, as our results show, very competitive. I'll post some pics of it someday!
BTW the name 'Yimkin' is arabic, and roughly translates as maybe.

As an aside my uncle had for many years an FJ U2 as shown in your other pic - he was *extremely* successful in that!
Old 14 Dec 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2088739)   #15
Alastair Cox
Rookie

Alastair Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Sorry to be late to the party ... but are you talking about 'our' Yimkin?

My father owned and hill climbed one during the 70's (Castle Howard etc.) and sold it on before regret shortly settled in.

I have got a great photo and will dig it out over Chritsmas ... and would be great to pass on an 'up to date' record to pop!

Best wishes,

Alastair Cox

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Dec 2007 at 09:41.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2440560)   #16
Wumpletoad
Rookie

Wumpletoad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimkin View Post
Yes Fred, there was an FJ - they built two of the same model - a variation of the club car. In fact, we had one and my dad finished 2nd in the 1984 FJ championship in it (front engined). I am fairly certain that the Yimkin car was separate to the firm who did your mini. It was built by Don Sim, (also responsible for the Diva) who we met at Brands last month - an extremely nice guy. 'Our' Yimkin spent some time in the museum at Monza after we sold it, before being raced in the FIA championship. Its now for sale and we want to buy it back! It was a truly great car with viceless handling, and, as our results show, very competitive. I'll post some pics of it someday!
BTW the name 'Yimkin' is arabic, and roughly translates as maybe.

As an aside my uncle had for many years an FJ U2 as shown in your other pic - he was *extremely* successful in that!
Seven years later, quite by accident, I stumble across this arcane thread! Perhaps my small contribution may prove helpful.

Gordon and Glynn, located about half way up the East side of Cadogan Lane, were engaged in used car sales. Yimkin Engineering acted as the Service division for G & G and also took in jobbing service work from the public. Both companies were owned by the very engaging Mrs Herbert. The premises were not adjacent as has been suggested. Sandwiched between was Mike Braby who was in competition not only for general service business but also in racing as he owned an FJ Emeryson. He and Mrs Herbert were not the best of friends! However, Yimkin was best known for engine performance conversions. These, (usually available as Stage 1, 2 or 3 levels of "hotness"), were relatively inexpensive and popular with those seeking rather more performance than was available from the standard BMC "A" Series or Ford engines as fitted in the contemporary Mini, Minor and Anglia et al. The last Yimkin produced was retained and campaigned in under 1,100cc sports-car events for publicity purposes.

Conversion work was the bread and butter of Yimkin but it was thought, given the number of enterprises engaged in early Formula Junior that there might be a niche for another participant so it was decided to ask Don Sim to design and fabricate a relatively inexpensive car which might compete in club sports car categories but, with removal of cycle type wings, lights etc., could campaign in Formula Junior as an offset single-seater. This had a tubular frame skinnned in rolled alloy sheet. Front suspension (from Triumph Herald, I think) was double wishbone and coil spring; rear axle was also coil sprung and retained by Wattts linkage and Panhard rod. All major components were from the BMC range. I don't know how many of these cars were made. A Mark 2 frame intended as an enclosed-wheel sports design was produced but never completed.

To claim that the Yimkin's handling was "viceless" is to yield to the siren of history. Performance was mediocre (inevitable as the "A" Series engine would never be a match for the alternative 105E Ford) and the car was burdened with excessive roll and chronic understeer. The affects of this last characteristic were evident in the short-nosed appearance of the car at several Silverstone/Brands Hatch meetings of 1963 - the front section had been modified by a hay bale at a Debden sprint in late 1962. From a commercial standpoint, there was no possibility of the Yimkin competing with the Lotus 7 which outperformed it in every respect.

In 1963 Mrs Herbert suffered a stroke and was unable to continue managing the companies. I believe that Braby acquired the interests of Gordon and Glynn (which by this time effectively was defunct) and Yimkin was purchased by a Robin Johnson who primarily used it as a base for the support of his racing Mini Cooper. Shortly after this, day-to-day management of Yimkin was passed to Warren Pearce, well-known for his racing exploits in a Jaguar XK150 and induction manifold conversions for the Jaguar engine. Pearce had premises further up Cadogan lane; somewhere between Witchers, the Renault dealer and the London Goggomobil agent. All these premises were mews lock-ups.

A lack of business turnover, property prices beginning to burgeon by the mid-sixties and the passing of the car conversion market all contributed to the demise of Yimkin Engineering and the many other small entities engaged in similar fields. Thus ended perhaps the last interesting and affordable period of post-War car construction/modificaton. It was, in effect, a continuation of the DIY and Kit Car genre born of a desire to avoid the swingeing Sales Tax - Speedex bodies on Austin 7 (1923-1939) chassis and Ballamy independent suspension conversions for the 100E Ford come to mind. I should be pleased to learn of any Yimkin history subsequent to 1964 and the fate of the last car.

There may be one or two old enough to remember a good-natured sprint between the Yimkin and Nobby Spero's 250F in Astwood Mews long ago. A time of fun and so unrecognisably different from now. The Maserati won! But not by much. Continental Motors were always clogging the place up with their VW Beetles (this was before there was an official UK importer) and Offord's had the Lord Mayor's carriage out for a wheel repair. Not a lot of room . . . . but back-street London before the introductoin of the MOT was just about the most fascinating place in the world.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3381271)   #17
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumpletoad View Post
Seven years later, quite by accident, I stumble across this arcane thread! Perhaps my small contribution may prove helpful.

Gordon and Glynn, located about half way up the East side of Cadogan Lane, were engaged in used car sales. Yimkin Engineering acted as the Service division for G & G and also took in jobbing service work from the public. Both companies were owned by the very engaging Mrs Herbert. The premises were not adjacent as has been suggested. Sandwiched between was Mike Braby who was in competition not only for general service business but also in racing as he owned an FJ Emeryson. He and Mrs Herbert were not the best of friends! However, Yimkin was best known for engine performance conversions. These, (usually available as Stage 1, 2 or 3 levels of "hotness"), were relatively inexpensive and popular with those seeking rather more performance than was available from the standard BMC "A" Series or Ford engines as fitted in the contemporary Mini, Minor and Anglia et al. The last Yimkin produced was retained and campaigned in under 1,100cc sports-car events for publicity purposes.

Conversion work was the bread and butter of Yimkin but it was thought, given the number of enterprises engaged in early Formula Junior that there might be a niche for another participant so it was decided to ask Don Sim to design and fabricate a relatively inexpensive car which might compete in club sports car categories but, with removal of cycle type wings, lights etc., could campaign in Formula Junior as an offset single-seater. This had a tubular frame skinnned in rolled alloy sheet. Front suspension (from Triumph Herald, I think) was double wishbone and coil spring; rear axle was also coil sprung and retained by Wattts linkage and Panhard rod. All major components were from the BMC range. I don't know how many of these cars were made. A Mark 2 frame intended as an enclosed-wheel sports design was produced but never completed.
I think I may have just bought this unfinished MK2 chassis! Am awaiting a reply from Don Sim having sent him photos.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3382434)   #18
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if 'Wumpletoad' will have recieved my message, as he seems only to have made one post here all those years ago, but on the off chance he has and looks at the thread, here's a photo of the chassis I have bought, and the 'conventional' Yimkin frame. (The picture of the conventional frame and the description both come from an old book on Ford specials, henct the frame being refered to as an 1172)

I've sent pics to Don Sim, and am waiting to hear back from him, but it's a bit unusual - the chassis has no front suspension mounts, implying it is unfinished as described by Wumpletoad, but has at least part of the pedal box, engine mounts and even part of the battery tray....? Was it perhaps adapted from one of the 6 'conventional' chassis?

Al
Old 29 Jul 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3562171)   #19
Alastair_James_Cox
Rookie

Alastair_James_Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incredible ... but great!

Scroll back up through this thread and you'll find my first note looking for information on Yimkin back 2007:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=32039&page=8

Now fast forward >>>>

I purchased this chassis earlier in the year from (the other) Al and I'm still doing a bit of homework before starting any real work. I've been in touch with Don, Duncan from FJHRA and Ed Glaister and so far as I'm able to piece together the chassis is a Yimkin and was either modified or built after Don Sim sold the company. Also that it used to hang from their ceiling in the Cadogan Lane garage for a while. So hopefully things will be cleared up when a photo turns up or that jogs someones memory. There's also a small feature in this months Classic Cars Magazine with a call for information which hopefully will speed things up.

In the meantime I've been pulling things together into a blog so please do feedback if you have any information or forward on to interested parties. Not that there can be very many out there but who knows. I've done quite a bit of work investigating the chassis and it's clearly a Yimkin that's been hacked about so I've highlighted the work so there's a clear view of 'Before' and 'After' with most of the original tubes still being clearly visible and even where bits have been hacked off and relocated.

My father used to own the Ed Glaister Yimkin too (only a guess back in 2007) so he's had a good look and given it the 'thumbs up' as he rebuilt his / Ed's from a bare chassis in the 70's. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.yimkin.co.uk/

Best, Alastair
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:469842)   #20
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by racing fxgt
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
Doesn't look very standard to me!
Old 25 Jul 2002, 15:55 (Ref:469843)   #21
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Andrew - look forward to it! As we are into 60s stuff here I thought I would attach a photo of a Tecno racing at Magny-cours in '69 with Patrick Champin driving. Mine is also a 69 model and now in stunning yellow and white! Apparently they were *****es to drive in period - they haven't changed much!!

HELP! Can't reduce file - any suggestions welcomed!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:32 (Ref:469844)   #22
Jenny
Racer

Fab stuff!!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 11:52 (Ref:469845)   #23
Jenny
Racer

Any pics of Robert Grant in the Works TVR Grantura at Le Mans in 63 - apparently it did one lap and retired with a serious water leak!
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:53 (Ref:469846)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
all I know about this is its a Wilment Cortina GT, chasing a jag . . . . .probably '63
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jag-gt.jpg (25.6 KB, 257 views)
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2234221)   #25
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
cut7jag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

1628 VC Jag MKII will be either Roy Salvadori or John Sparrow

Gary