Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Feb 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3203804)   #796
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Great article, thanks. I am going to post it in the ALMS/GA merger thread. Some sage words...
Excellent idea and I'll e-mail Belskus. It will be interesting to see if he replies; Ropin' Randy replied a couple of times.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3203900)   #797
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Natural gas is supposed to be cleaner on the fuel injection system and combustion chamber and prevents knock, right? I wonder if Chevy and Honda (both of which have CNG options available for some of their vehicles) would be down with going the natural gas route in Indy. They could even do the whole "American CNG-powered" promotion (more popular than ethanol, though that's not saying much).
Old 13 Feb 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3204192)   #798
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What does Pat Patrick make his money in, again?
Old 13 Feb 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3204195)   #799
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
What does Pat Patrick make his money in, again?
He's been in the oil business far longer than motorsport.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3204260)   #800
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (February 13, 2013) The following statement is issued today from IZOD IndyCar Series driver Katherine Legge:

"I am extremely disappointed that Dragon Racing and sponsor TrueCar have announced a replacement IndyCar driver for the No. 6 car.

I received a letter from Dragon Racing, terminating my services on January the 18th. My legal team had asked for details regarding the reasoning for this termination but none have been provided.

I signed a two year deal for 2012/2013 with TrueCar as a sponsor, and then I took that sponsorship to Dragon Racing shortly thereafter. Jay Penske told Scott Painter (TrueCar CEO) that he would bring the Penske Dealerships onboard with TrueCar if I signed with Dragon Racing, so it seemed like it would be a good fit for all. I firmly believe that Dragon Racing and TrueCar cannot proceed without me and I will be taking legal action to protect my rights.

It was a very difficult season last year, we did very little testing and I was made to sit out of some of the races. Jay Penske's actions in Nantucket really hurt my ability to find additional and personal sponsors, and it was highly embarrassing, especially with the message that we were trying to portray regarding the empowerment of women in motorsport.

I was very much looking forward to 2013, using the experience I gained last year as a spring board for greater success.

I am in a very fortunate position to have the FIA (of which I am a Female Driver Ambassador) and Girl Scouts (STEM Ambassador) onboard with my career and I am working feverishly to put something together. However, having this happen so late in the game has made it virtually impossible.

I am not sure where TrueCar and Virgin stand on the 'Women Empowered Initiative' moving forward. I can tell you that I feel like I have been treated very unfairly in all of this and the last thing I feel at the moment is 'Empowered!' Scott Painter told the press on numerous occasions that it was a two-year deal with me and how he believed women could race on an equal footing with the guys.

I have spent most of this off-season trying to help TrueCar mitigate their costs and bring sponsors onboard with their Initiative, having invested a great deal of my own time, effort and money, so this has come as a huge shock.

I am also not sure whether IndyCar will take a stand on my behalf. I believe that the contracts are between the Teams and IndyCar so I am unsure of whether there is anything they can do apart from lend me their support.

I have fought very hard, every step of my career, to get the opportunities that I have created for myself and I will continue to do so. I want to thank everybody for their support during all of this, it has been very tough for me to watch it unfold."

And the response....

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...YCAR/130219918

Last edited by HJJ; 13 Feb 2013 at 22:35.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3204282)   #801
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I don't see all these impoverished Indycar guys breaking contracts will-nilly to accommodate gas from Pat Patrick mind you. Not in any immediate sense.

However Pat Patrick should've been treated with respect as a man with an innovative idea rather than given the cold shoulder treatment. These guys can't afford to be wrecking potentially prosperous, long term relationships like that.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3204400)   #802
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I think Katherine has every right to feel aggrieved.

However, Saavedra undoubtedly meets TRUEcar's needs as he looks like a butch lesbian.

Old 14 Feb 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3204573)   #803
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a fan of Jay Penske. Not a fan of Saavedra. That's why they they are a good fit.
I also was not a fan of Flavio Briatore and not one of Nelson Piquet Jr and considered them a good fit for the same reason.

It's like I would put it past Dragon to ask Saavedra to cause a yellow so their other driver Bourdais can get away with a race win.

Here's hoping Katherine Legge gets a nice payout from Dragon and/or the sponsor out of this.

And Peat: I feel that comparison you made of Saavedra is being derogatory to butch lesbians. People who like the guy's on- and off-track behaviour might think different but let's not get "political" here.

Last edited by Yannick; 14 Feb 2013 at 11:42.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:39 (Ref:3205072)   #804
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As many of you know, I have always admired Kat Legge's determination in the face of a lack of finance and talent.

But she's had her chances and if she can't compete in these dog eared cars with and other unspectacular drivers, there isn't much else to say.

I had great expectations for her getting signed up with Audi, but she spent a few years in a manufacturer gig in the DTM and basically did nothing with it.

As I said 6-7 years ago, she desperately needed a driving coach at a minimum.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:43 (Ref:3205073)   #805
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Here's hoping Katherine Legge gets a nice payout from Dragon and/or the sponsor out of this.
Depends what the contract says, but most likely it is full of holes they can sneak out of. I doubt she was getting paid that much, if anything anyways. I think most people would be shocked how little these drivers make now, especially after they pay things like their insurance.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:46 (Ref:3205074)   #806
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I think Katherine has every right to feel aggrieved.

However, Saavedra undoubtedly meets TRUEcar's needs as he looks like a butch lesbian.

I'm sure it came down to Saavedra bringing money. Truecar probably provides enough to paint the car and make the wheels go around and that's about it.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 14:08 (Ref:3205865)   #807
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
And the Dragon / Legge story continues:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105582
Old 16 Feb 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3205872)   #808
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I doubt she'll get anywhere. Unless you are a top-gun these contracts are always weighed heavily in favour of the team. She might get a bit of compo but even that's dubious.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3206503)   #809
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Marshall Pruett writes that IndyCar won’t use inverted grids for doubleheaders. He also adds that:

Quote:
Like many items created by Bernard, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the series’ new management pull the plug on doubleheaders after 2013. The disinterest from the teams has also been received by IndyCar’s top brass, which could make the topic of inverted grids a moot discussion point.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3206508)   #810
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
I'm glad to hear there won't be reversed grids, it's just a gimmick.

As for double-headers, I felt this was a mixture of a last gasp attempt plus the easy option, to bulk up a dwindling series with existing tracks, rather than doing some hard graft and going out to historical tracks and trying to win them over.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 18 Feb 2013 at 02:57.