Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 16 Sep 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2760440)   #1
martyn_mcg
Rookie

England
martyn_mcg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, need starter motor help

Hello, i am currently rebulding a van diemen rf80 which i hope to have out for next season and i dont want to use the starter motor it has because it dosent seem to fit very well (mounting lugs snapped etc..) and its an inertia type with the solenoid on the dash which i dont want so i want to go pre engaged, the question is what starter motor fits a hewland FF adaptorplate?
i was looking at a powerlite model, i think it was called the RAC500 for ford fitment, would this do?

Regards, Martyn
Old 17 Sep 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2761009)   #2
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn_mcg View Post
Hello, i am currently rebulding a van diemen rf80 which i hope to have out for next season and i dont want to use the starter motor it has because it dosent seem to fit very well (mounting lugs snapped etc..) and its an inertia type with the solenoid on the dash which i dont want so i want to go pre engaged, the question is what starter motor fits a hewland FF adaptorplate?
i was looking at a powerlite model, i think it was called the RAC500 for ford fitment, would this do?

Regards, Martyn
not sure what fits the adaptor plate but you will need a different ring gear on the flywheel for pre engaged starter motor
Old 17 Sep 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2761037)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
not sure what fits the adaptor plate but you will need a different ring gear on the flywheel for pre engaged starter motor
Not necessarily, Some of the ring gears have a bevel lead in machined on both sides so they will accept either.
Obviously you will have to take a look.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Sep 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2762109)   #4
martyn_mcg
Rookie

England
martyn_mcg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, my ring gear has a lead in from both sides, but my main concern is what are the mounting holes in a hewland ff adaptor plate designd for? if i ordered a starter motor for a standard kent engined ford car would it fit the adaptor plate?

Thanks for the replys, Martyn
Old 20 Sep 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2762132)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I don't know an awful lot about FF starters, was the old one 2 or 3 bolt fixing ?
I expect if it was a 2 bolt it was the std fitment for Fords of that era, they were always coming loose and breaking the lugs off. The 3 bolt one will fit with the extra lug sawn off.
The Lucas starters fitted to smaller cc cars years ago only had 2 different flange sizes with the Ford one smaller than the one fitted to BL stuff (Mini etc)
However I expect some FF anorak will put you (and me) right soon
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2769037)   #6
LilMatt
Rookie

LilMatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had this trouble with my FF2000 Pintos using the same starter ring as the FF1600's rather than the pre engaged one as on the road car. The pre engaged ring doesn't fit into the Hewland adapter (slightly bigger outer size) since this all derived from the FF1600 days

David Brise @ Brise Electronics supplied some great pre-engaged starters which 3 bolt to the Hewland adapter (with one washer needed to just space it right) but these didn't work first time due to the right pitch but only 9 'teeth' on it when we seemed to need 10. So they made some special 'cogs' to go on the end, swapped mine to these and I have 2 cars running these now, they start great and I am only using a small golf trolley type battery.

David runs an FF1600 Royale (I think) himself and has one of these starters but he uses the 9 tooth version... It all seems to relate to the distance between the centre of the flywheel and the centre of the starter

http://www.brise.co.uk/starter_motors.html

Hope this helps...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2769093)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Yes the Ford ring gear has 110 teeth to match up with a 10 tooth bendix. The small BL stuff used 9 teeth.