Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jun 2003, 06:52 (Ref:637277)   #1
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fed up with campsites ???

Due to the misreservation this year with the decreasing audiance of the race, some private owners offers me to rent their house or apartment to rent for the week of the race in June.

Are any of you interested in ? :confused:

I may have also properties to sale in the surrounding of the circuit (In fact I've already got one 6kms from Arnage corner for only 95 000 pounds)

Don't hesitate to ask me.

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 20 Jun 2003, 07:26 (Ref:637293)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: fed up with campsites ???

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
Due to the misreservation this year with the decreasing audiance of the race
have you any news about the public statistics ? How much less than last year ? I thought it was a success this year, but it seems it's not the case... are we going toward problems again ?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 13:02 (Ref:637583)   #3
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First statistics are about around 15 to 20% decrease. Which is nothing compared to Formula 1 (more than 50% at Monaco).

There's also the poverty of the village, only 2 factories shops, a poor fun fair,...

The ACO seems to live on its heritage of these last 80 years and appears not to make any effort to change, evoluate and answer to the needs and the demand of the audience.

i'ld make no commentary on the 2003 plateau, with only one factory team and almost no chance for the others to win regularly!

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 20 Jun 2003, 13:28 (Ref:637605)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm astonished to hear that the crowd might have decreased by that much. I'd thought the crowd was actually bigger than for the last 2-3 years.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 18:15 (Ref:637854)   #5
Namlot
Rookie

Namlot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the crowds were up but the fair was a lot worse than last year
What is the chance and the going rate to hire a house for the week ? It might be an idea for next year
Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:46 (Ref:638908)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would a small apartment rent for during the week? Not that I spent much time in the campsite anyway, I was busy working, but it does have its attractions -- like walking to a good restaurant!
Old 22 Jun 2003, 06:38 (Ref:638966)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
First statistics are about around 15 to 20% decrease. Which is nothing compared to Formula 1 (more than 50% at Monaco).
So much ? I'm surprised that the audience decreased so fast between two years ; the grid was not worst as last three years, and at least private Audis could have win this years, as factory hadn"t any opponent in 2000/01/02...

What happend ? Something's missing ? The Village ; you don't know if you don't pay your ticket before...

This is the event and the french media covering that cause problems : not enough battle for the overall, too weak french teams on the track, not any interrest of the media...

But -15% in one year ! ACO board should feel concerned for sure...

I suspected something, as I didn't feel any problems to go from a point to another, no pedestrian trafic jams as we had in 1999... was it a clue ?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:21 (Ref:643601)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting Nord was jammed to the rafters though; we had lots more people than last year and hardly enough room to get in and out of the campground. But they do need to get their act together about that fee for coming early -- we were told 7 euros per camping permit and they tried to come round after we set up and charge us per tent!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:01 (Ref:643650)   #9
redfrontdoor
Rookie

redfrontdoor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on Houx Annexe on the Monday evening and they told us it was €7 per person. They asked us to go to the entrance to Houx to pay. Obviuosly we did'nt and they did'nt come round. I would have paid but due to the fact that the toilets did'nt open till Wednesday I felt justified not to. The ACO need to look at the way it treats its punters. The toilets/showers shut at 6o'clock on the Sunday evening. The locks I believe were then broken to gain entry. Why can't they run until Monday evening. Thats just a start.

Stu
Old 26 Jun 2003, 20:19 (Ref:644080)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
All this is part of LeMans. Do not expect american convenience or British politeness. The French do it in a unique way and this year it was as good as any I have been to since 1983. Dont complain please you wouldnt want it to be like a Grand Prix now would you now!
Old 27 Jun 2003, 02:07 (Ref:644274)   #11
Liz
Veteran

We made a deal with them -- the Germans refused to pay them at all and demanded to see their boss! But we had the same argument about the showers/toilets being locked when they were asking us to pay the same price as if they were open. I realise this is like charging $6.00 for a bottle of water and $10.00 for a hot dog at the airport, but we must some day disabuse the ACO of their fantasy that all Americans and most Brits make seven figure incomes and are too dumb to know when they are being overcharged.

Anyway, what does that apartment cost and how soon would you have to know?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:03 (Ref:644385)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
All this is part of LeMans. Do not expect american convenience or British politeness. The French do it in a unique way and this year it was as good as any I have been to since 1983. Dont complain please you wouldnt want it to be like a Grand Prix now would you now!

I'm with you Mal. I can't comment on the camping situation as I don't camp, but for me, Le Mans 2003 was one of the very best, from all angles, possibly the best of the 18 I've been to. I'm not just talking about the race, but the weather, the atmosphere, the fun we had as a group etc etc. I can't think of much that would have improved it.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:32 (Ref:644422)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I actually think than the camping is an essential part of LeMans, and it would not be the same without it (sorry Ayse!) One of the aspects that is so unique at LeMans is when you drift away from the racing and relax for a while at the campsite over some wine or a barbie and the race is still going on 100yard behind.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 08:04 (Ref:644452)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Mal, camping is part of the whole thing, thats not to say that I would not like to try a 5 star hotel one year given the money.
As for the loos, the Houx annexe ones this year where as good as I can recall and I've camped at Le Mans every year since 81 (80 was a page & moy overnighter).
You guys don't know how lucky you are, when I was a boy and I had to walk around the track in bare feet with no RLM for info, gathering round tannoys every hour to catch the strage voiced english rundown, there where no Loos, or showers, just a hole in the ground, and a sink to wash in, in fact the sinks in Houx campsite where the only ones for miles around. I could go on, but on the up side we did witness some great race's.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 10:29 (Ref:644571)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Camping is the only way -- although I'm still waiting for details on the apartment that started this whole discussion. If a person had a lot to do in the media centre, the weather could have been a lot cooler in there at least. Next year I'm bringing a fan. So it'll probably be cold next year ... that's really my only complaint about the whole week though.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 10:42 (Ref:644579)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
You guys don't know how lucky you are, when I was a boy and I had to walk around the track in bare feet with no RLM for info, gathering round tannoys every hour to catch the strage voiced english rundown, there where no Loos, or showers, just a hole in the ground, and a sink to wash in, in fact the sinks in Houx campsite where the only ones for miles around. I could go on, but on the up side we did witness some great race's.
I ve been camping from 1983 and I recall most of the above. In those days the only shower was to attach a short lentgth of hose to a tap and spray yourself with cold water. I was in the Houx campsite then and it was extremely basic. By Saturday afternoon you needed waders to get within 20 yards of the toilets. It was then that we started heading off on Sunday evenings to a nice hotel to get cleaned up before going home.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 13:31 (Ref:645424)   #17
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I last went in 1969, apart from the weather little had changed, from a camping point of view that is! The campsite was a disgusting field with inadequate food and toilet facilities. The only good bit (apart from the great cars and the racing) was that I lost 1/4 stone in body weight over the weekend! And that my son survived his crash!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:28 (Ref:646993)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the ultimate check out www.marquepark.com a fine alternatives to the Houx annexe.

High contrast, glad your son survived, I'm assuming you mean during the race, was he racing? would you care to tell us the story? (not about the weight loss!)

Last edited by Nordic; 30 Jun 2003 at 10:28.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:19 (Ref:647554)   #19
MarquePark
Rookie

MarquePark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping is, for sure, a major part of the Le Mans atmosphere. As is staying in chateaux around and about. As are traffic jams and bohemian facilities... BUT, what if you fancy driving down in something really special?

What if you could live, park and view all in one place? And get about to all the other places without having to walk for miles at a time? This was what we did at Marque Park Le Mans. DB4 Zagato, GT40, C-types, 275GTB, Spyker, Bentley Mulliner... plus TVRs, Arden Jags, Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis... all found a safe place to park and enjoy Le Mans in style.

Marque Park Le Mans allows you to drive into the circuit, park in a guarded enclosure and simply walk upstairs for a beer. We have an accommodation complex, showers and WCs. Plus, there are shuttles to and from the Race Village and other areas (no need to walk for miles). Last but not least, the viewing gallery and bar overlooks the Mulsanne Straight and has a satellite feed to keep up with the race action. We also have an outdoor grandstand with an unimpeded view of the Mulsanne from the exit of Tertre Rouge to about half-way to the first chicance. Guests took fantastic photos of the cars from here!

The whole point of Marque Park is to provide a sanctuary for fabulous cars, and their owners of course. Wherever you go, you have to stop! Nowhere to park too often means ' don't go' or 'go but panic'.

British Grand Prix is our next event and we have a few surprises in store. Beats Silverstone's park-and-ride...
Old 30 Jun 2003, 23:34 (Ref:647876)   #20
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hhmmmmm, nice advert there Mr Marques......

I think the campsites add to the weekend, seeing all sorts of cars, vans etc, some of the camps are just amazing with pools/TV/fridges/cookers/hifi etc. I would doubt that you get the same anywhere else. I have seen Spa 24 and Daytona 24 and neither come close.

Provided you get a pitch not next to some idiots playing very loud music until 0600AM then it is now not that bad. The showers and loo's are usable and crowding has been reduced.

I would like to see security improved on the Sunday night and the usual "litter clearer's" delayed until Tuesday. It might encouage more to stay. Driving home after watching a 24 hour race must be a safety concern.

Simon