Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Jul 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1971989)   #101
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-b
hi there

heard of a track in America called Langhorne(i think)
my book said it was round
was that true?
if so i bet it was an animal to drive on

db
yep and it was huge...fairly high corner speeds
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1972532)   #102
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got that autodrome book, and i has to say it is magnificent. i hope we get a follow up book if it goes down well. i'd love to go visit avus etc some day

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 25 Jul 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1972759)   #103
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/langhorn.html

Picture and brief history of Langhorne on above link.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1977192)   #104
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
hope we get a follow up book if it goes down well.
I for one won't be suprised when one appears - but the big question is when! And seeing as I don't know the answer to that - the only answer can be - not this christmas!.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1978808)   #105
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Leigh Trevail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[/IMG]

This might not be the most exciting of photos but it shows the start line at Fersfield in South Norfolk. The chap with the pick-up truck witnessed Archie Scott Brown in his first race here on 17th June 1951.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1985644)   #106
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi S.S. and Gavin,
i have been reading your english 1st edition of Autodrome - ... 2 years ago and loved it. It finally was an illustrated book with pictures of today. I was damn happy back in 05 when i got it and wished for a paret 2.
Recently I found out that there is an edition in my mother language, German, and i ordered it.
I am really dissapointed with the german translation of the Heel-Verlag. The title alone assumes that the book is about Traditional
Circuits In Europe
. Aside from a bad grammar there are a lot of errors in it. either grammar not known.
the german edition of autodrome is unworthy to read. one time it is "The Byfleet Banking" and then again the "Byfleet Kurve". Capitals starting in bolds (London,Berlin,Paris,...) and so do special names. Then in places some text is missing. Compared to its english original the german translation lost its appeal
Old 10 Aug 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1985680)   #107
SPBRacing
Rookie

United Kingdom
North West
SPBRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an old airfield too the right off the M6 - M56 junction as you travel north. If you look on Google Earth it seems to have a Start Finish line marked out.

Anybody know anything about it ?

Who to contact to test at it etc etc.

PM me please
Old 10 Aug 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1985694)   #108
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to be Stretton Airfield, I can find reference to use for karts and mini-motos, and some jet engine testing, but not much else.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1985717)   #109
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks for that Andy - niether me or gav are german speakers so I had no idea of the quality of the translation. I'm going to pass your comments on to the English publisher because thats a real concern. It did annoy me that Heel changed the title but frankly they know the german market and I know about crumbly old tarmac... so I left it up to then
Old 13 Apr 2008, 01:07 (Ref:2176160)   #110
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
So its been a long time since Autodrome was completed and hit the shelves. Its done very well indeed and I'd like to thank all thouse who bought copies. But the time has come to end that chapter. There is something new in the pipeline, and compared to Autodrome this is something really really special. Gav's camera skills have improved (if thats possible) and the new images are simply breathtaking.

To say a sequel would only be half the story.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2176334)   #111
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A book about all the circuits ever in the world??!!!
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2176361)   #112
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Thats almost impossible!
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2176362)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
So its been a long time since Autodrome was completed and hit the shelves. Its done very well indeed and I'd like to thank all thouse who bought copies. But the time has come to end that chapter. There is something new in the pipeline, and compared to Autodrome this is something really really special. Gav's camera skills have improved (if thats possible) and the new images are simply breathtaking.

To say a sequel would only be half the story.

And you're only telling a tiny fraction in this post Sam - when is the new tome likely to hit the shelves?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2177605)   #114
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
The honest answer is that I don't know and I think it will depend on what side of the atlantic you live. One should also never think in the singular.

The first preview images will appear here in the coming weeks
Old 14 Mar 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2415555)   #115
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
a few weeks a few months who was counting - anyway I saw something interesting online

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/product...up=Motorsport&

But do bear in mind I sad that this was only half the story

and yes thats a blatant plug
Old 13 Apr 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2440081)   #116
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
bechers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Seems to be Stretton Airfield, I can find reference to use for karts and mini-motos, and some jet engine testing, but not much else.
This became Shell's Test Track where they tested fuels and lubricants developed at their Thornton Research Centre situated next to their Stanlow Oil Refinery on the banks of the River Mersey between Liverpool and Chester.
This is where all of the Ferrari F1 Fuel and lubricants are both developed and manufactured. It's been in existence since before WWII and was the place where the high octane fuels were developed for the Rolls-Royce Merlin and Griffon Engines.
I'm not quite sure of the exact dates when Shell stoped using Stretton but I think it was when the M56 was extended, which bisected the airfield.
The northern half is now a huge road transport distribution hub whilst the southern half is abandoned.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2440083)   #117
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
bechers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked- Shell finally pulled out in 2004
Old 16 Aug 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3843939)   #118
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wrong thread - this one's far too old

meant for it to go here soooo...
https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=138

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 16 Aug 2018 at 03:58. Reason: wrong place...
Old 16 Aug 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3843983)   #119
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As of January 1st 2019, you can add Rockingham(Northants) to the list.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3844043)   #120
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The wonderful and erudite Motorsport Explorer by Julian Hunt will tell you all you ever need to know about every hillclimb , sprint course ,dragstrip and race circuit in the GB , NI and Eire from the dawn of competition in early 20C to its publication in 2012- ish.

I learned that racing has taken place at no fewer than 8 venues just in my home county of Yorkshire . Some were only used once but it is still fascinating stuff for an anorak like me .
Old 16 Aug 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3844055)   #121
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Solitude is a must I think.

Targa Florio - would like to do it - buts its a long old way!
I was out at Nurburgring at the weekend. There were a lot of flyers being dished out about event at Solitude.I will look in the truck and find one will let you know the date.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3844105)   #122
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
20th/21st July . Solitude .