Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Aug 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3840597)   #76
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
Jonathan Webb

I binge watched the full 2012 Supercars season on youtube in 2 weeks and the bloke is mental. Literally every pass is a massive dive and he does some very borderline stuff in general.

It's fun to watch but you'd be spewing if you were in the mid-pack trying to race against him.
At last, someone mentions a non-BTCC driver.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3840682)   #77
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Who was that driver who raced that Indy BMW in the 2011 WTCC and did nothing in it for the first half of the season, then got replaced by d'Aste for one race, it moved a bit further up, then Turkington had a few goes and got the car into the top 10 every time. Trying to think who it was
Old 1 Aug 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3840759)   #78
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Who was that driver who raced that Indy BMW in the 2011 WTCC and did nothing in it for the first half of the season, then got replaced by d'Aste for one race, it moved a bit further up, then Turkington had a few goes and got the car into the top 10 every time. Trying to think who it was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urs_Sonderegger - Here's your answer!
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3840764)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s it, thanks. For some reason I thought he was Russian, but wasn’t sure
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3840765)   #80
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
That’s it, thanks. For some reason I thought he was Russian, but wasn’t sure
Marcel Costa wasn't better in the BMW Italy-Spain team in 2006.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3840785)   #81
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabio Fabiani was well out of his depth as well. Usually qualified outside of 107%.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3840836)   #82
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Fabio Fabiani was well out of his depth as well. Usually qualified outside of 107%.
He only actually failed to qualify twice in his WTCC stint, reminds me of Ian Heward in the BTCC.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3840865)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

Ian Heward at least had the excuse that his car was well past it’s sell by date
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3840876)   #84
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Ian Heward at least had the excuse that his car was well past it’s sell by date
True and some drivers had the excuse of having not even raced for ages like Russell Spence.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3840880)   #85
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Crudgington was never the quickest
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3840881)   #86
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
True and some drivers had the excuse of having not even raced for ages like Russell Spence.
I guess if drivers had got a significant number of recent races in the bag, they'd struggle to be considered a one-off entrant?

I wonder how many of the drivers that are being listed here have some form of mitigation to justify there lack of success? I would imagine that if a proper analysis was made, and a bit of backstory given, others who may not be aware of certain drivers could make a judgement on whether the driver was really deserving of the title 'worst' - or just a victim of circumstance? (a la GP Rejects)

For instance - how bad is a driver who succeeds Ayrton Senna to a title?
Or that Spence was showing promise in a Touring Car, but his crash may have contributed significantly to his decision to withdraw from racing?

There's a lot more discussion to be had around these drivers I feel, and look forward to reading the story behind one of these 'worst' touring car drivers - hopefully we can get there and move on from short statements into some real discussion.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3840883)   #87
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
In a Class D Toyota, maybe not as good as Phil Dowsett
Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3840892)   #88
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
But he beat everyone else by being the first BTCC car sponsored by a non-alcoholic lager!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3840895)   #89
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Sometimes I think I should have called this thread worst touring cars as some drivers like Nick May and John Lepp had the misfortune of driving the Maserati Bi-Turbo of the late 80s
Old 2 Aug 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3840899)   #90
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sometimes I think I should have called this thread worst touring cars as some drivers like Nick May and John Lepp had the misfortune of driving the Maserati Bi-Turbo of the late 80s
Ever since this thread started I've been wondering who would be the first to mention Nick (No Gloves) May!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3840922)   #91
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Ever since this thread started I've been wondering who would be the first to mention Nick (No Gloves) May!
I know the Maserati clearly wasn't very good but a Class A entrant being passed by Crudgington's Class D Toyota must have been a real embarrassment.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3840951)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

Still it was a beautiful red Campari livery
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3840955)   #93
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I guess if drivers had got a significant number of recent races in the bag, they'd struggle to be considered a one-off entrant?

I wonder how many of the drivers that are being listed here have some form of mitigation to justify there lack of success? I would imagine that if a proper analysis was made, and a bit of backstory given, others who may not be aware of certain drivers could make a judgement on whether the driver was really deserving of the title 'worst' - or just a victim of circumstance? (a la GP Rejects)

For instance - how bad is a driver who succeeds Ayrton Senna to a title?
Or that Spence was showing promise in a Touring Car, but his crash may have contributed significantly to his decision to withdraw from racing?

There's a lot more discussion to be had around these drivers I feel, and look forward to reading the story behind one of these 'worst' touring car drivers - hopefully we can get there and move on from short statements into some real discussion.
Of course, apart from picking holes in most if not all my posts (that's what it feels like even that's not the case), crmalcolm has a point. Not all drivers are bad, most are let down by the machinery at their disposal and this point is kind of what I've been trying to make myself, I'm just not very good at explaining things.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3840957)   #94
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not all drivers are bad, most are let down by the machinery at their disposal and this point is kind of what I've been trying to make myself, I'm just not very good at explaining things.
The difficulty, at times, can be working out who has been let down by their equipment, and who is a genuinely poor touring car driver.

Most drivers will admit that touring car driving is a speciality of its own in the world of circuit racing. And then you get matters of set up. Some drivers have commented that the car is set up to a team-mate or predecessor's style. In the way Cammish's perceived lack of consistent pace - is that just down to TD setting up a style that suits Neal?

So even when someone is highlighted here in comparison to how someone else drove the same car - is that just down to the combination of style and set up?

Giovanardi looked average at first in the BTCC - so in my opinion, it is only really fair to judge a driver once they are at least mid way through their second season.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3840960)   #95
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The difficulty, at times, can be working out who has been let down by their equipment, and who is a genuinely poor touring car driver.

Most drivers will admit that touring car driving is a speciality of its own in the world of circuit racing. And then you get matters of set up. Some drivers have commented that the car is set up to a team-mate or predecessor's style. In the way Cammish's perceived lack of consistent pace - is that just down to TD setting up a style that suits Neal?

So even when someone is highlighted here in comparison to how someone else drove the same car - is that just down to the combination of style and set up?

Giovanardi looked average at first in the BTCC - so in my opinion, it is only really fair to judge a driver once they are at least mid way through their second season.
Fair point, I'm not judging any of the drivers of the past year or two, most of them have been at the very least decent.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3841214)   #96
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Steve Robertson struggled in the Mondeo. Another example of how a good many former single seater hotshoes struggled to adapt to front wheel drive tourers.

Tarquini, Alain Menu, Rickard Rydell, Laurent Aiello, Biela and to a lesser extent Kelvin Burt and Julian Bailey did very well though.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3841229)   #97
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Steve Robertson struggled in the Mondeo. Another example of how a good many former single seater hotshoes struggled to adapt to front wheel drive tourers.

Tarquini, Alain Menu, Rickard Rydell, Laurent Aiello, Biela and to a lesser extent Kelvin Burt and Julian Bailey did very well though.
The Mondeo was a dog by 1996 anyway.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3841311)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

It was only Radisich's skill that got it into the points more often than perhaps it should have. That said the 96 Mondeo seemed to be more consistent over a race distance than the 95 Mondeo, which was a heavy tyre chewer and tended to drop down the order during the races. The 96 Mondeo didn't seem to have that problem
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3841372)   #99
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radisich had an unlucky career. Spent much of it dragging middling cars into the points, helped get Triple Eight set in Australia before being binned when they got good, then got to end it by working for a controversial boss who gave him a dung banger to drive.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3841374)   #100
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to drag this away from the BTCC again, Tim Blanchard must have the worst professional touring car gig going. Poor guy almost always coming home last. I don't know whether it's him or if he's been given a car similar to that 2013 model Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport car that trundled around last year 2017.

edit - just did my research. It's a brand new ZB but he now owns the license to compete so you'd think his seat is safe.

Races -160
podiums - 0
best championship position - 21st

ouch

Tags
btcc, dtm, etcc, touring car, wtcc