Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1262708)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber's Broken Rib

On today's RPM program here on Chammel #10, in an interview with Peter Windsor, Mark Webber explained that he had broken a rib in testing in Barcelona....

... before the race in Australia...

It seems Mr Webber is still nursing this injury, and had enlisted help from the Australian Institute of Sport to make the injury more bearable in the car...

Mr Webber claimed the injury was healing, but that the muscular distress was yet to fully heal....

Might put some of the events in Australia and Malaysia into perspective....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Mar 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1262722)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My life, the guy must've been in agony!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1262739)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a champ !
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1262742)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
My life, the guy must've been in agony!
He still would be I should have thought... and it would interrupt his training regimes as well... in the cockpit in the race the adrenalin would mask the difficulties... but out of the car.... OUCH!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1262770)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What a guy...
Old 27 Mar 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1262812)   #6
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch. He really is a tough guy.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1262814)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst i'm sure it must have hurt like hell, it shouldn't be forgotten that these guys heal alot quicker than the likes of us "normal people"

DC also scored a podium at Spain back in 2001 (??) with broken ribs a week after being involved in a plane crash.

Just hope that Mark makes a full recovery quickly, which i'm sure he will, after all, i believe that he's taken Michaels title as fittest driver on the grid now
Old 27 Mar 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1262847)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, though, they're not aliens. Pulling 5g with any sort of injury is going to be tough.

I imagine the adrenaline must cover for a lot of stuff, together with whatever drugs they can get away with.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1262850)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is nothing compared to DC's performance in Spain 2000, as mentioned by Mr V. Not so much racing with the injuries, but the mental anguish of the plane crash as well. That was one of the most admirable drives I've seen.

I doubt Webbers injury would affect him so badly really......he's a tough cookie and ultra fit. I'd be surprised if it affected him at all!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 27 Mar 2005 at 12:24.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1262873)   #10
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They really do chisel them out of steel over in Oz don't they?
Old 27 Mar 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1262876)   #11
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did it explain how he broke this rib in testing?

I remember, too, that drive from Justin Wilson a couple of years ago in Sepang. Had to be lifted out of the car after driving with a trapped nerve in his shoulder, I think it was... These drivers are so fit, it really is amazing. Mark, Michael and Jarno are supposedly the fittest guys, so I'm sure Mark will be over it soon enough.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1262878)   #12
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently he broke it during normal testing duties. From what i could gather it was a combination of the g's and his seat which broke it! He said he shouldnt have the problem anymore, so if it was the seat, it is fixed.

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 27 Mar 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1262889)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that Frentzen won a race for Jordan with a leg he'd fractured hitting the wall in the previous race at Canada!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1262948)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Reynolds is surely the real champion of bravery though, he's racing this weekend jsut 5 weeks after a multiple leg fracture. Bike racers in general seem to heal very quickly and be good at riding through it. Mark deserves real credit for his efforts, although it's less than what DC managed.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1262983)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Though they didnt have any physical pain..I thought that Michael's and Ralf's performance at Imola 03 was also quite commendable under the circumstances...especially Michael's..
Old 27 Mar 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1263066)   #16
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bike racers are a hardy bunch though! Ive seen many injured riders be back at the following meeting despite some terrible injuries! Foggys first race for Honda reminds me of this!! He had injuries that would have put me off work for a month but foggy finished both races.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1263146)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The article is Here
Old 27 Mar 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1263197)   #18
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill drove with a broken leg during 1995.

I think it has before Hungary.

Thus im not impressed.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1263222)   #19
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol
Old 28 Mar 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1263503)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon I think injured himself in that Nürburgring'95 crash (remember he was limping when he went out and congratulated MS).

It must feel weird breaking something without ever hitting a wall, innit?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1263581)   #21
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Damon I think injured himself in that Nürburgring'95 crash (remember he was limping when he went out and congratulated MS).

It must feel weird breaking something without ever hitting a wall, innit?
That crash scares me whenever I see it, Damon's Williams smacks into the wall, yet the car remains completely undamaged it seems, no wings, tyres or any bodywork flies off as you would expect in such a crash.....
No wonder Damo picked up an injury!

Now I understand why Mark seemed so angry after the Fishy incident, probably anger mixed with a fair amount of pain....
Old 28 Mar 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1263618)   #22
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch, that will be painful. I'd have pulled out by now if I were him. Just one question, you all talk of drivers racing with obvious injuries, so who passes them fit to race?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1263621)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dr Sid Watkins most likely...
Old 28 Mar 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1263629)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gary Hartstein is the new medical chief.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1263652)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Dr Sid Watkins most likely...
The doc has stepped down, as K-B pointed out.