Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1286354)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Posting in the F1 Forum - Please Read.

Posting in the F1 forum

We have noticed a worrying trend creeping into the F1 forum, where no argument will be brooked and opposing viewpoints are either ridiculed or taken to extremes. We believe this is stifling good discussion.

First and foremost 10 tenths is a discussion forum – be aware that not everyone will agree with your viewpoint – that doesn’t make it wrong or right – just different.

No team or driver in F1 is above criticism – there is a line between not agreeing a viewpoint and bashing for the sake of it – please remember where the line is.

We encourage criticism of any parties involved in F1, as long as it is reasoned and isn't posted with malice or an agenda.

Accept other member’s viewpoints gracefully and in the spirit they are offered.

Please take time to read other members posts and appreciate the overall meaning of the post. Rather than seize a minor point and use that to discredit the rest of the post. On top of this many are attacked over a small point, when the gist of the whole means something else!"

For new members, enter the forum as you would enter a room full of people you’ve never met – would you kick the door down and throw out inflammatory remarks within the first few seconds of meeting people, or would you poke your head around the door, get to know people and then chat to people with the some of the same opinions?

As mod’s it’s our job to keep the conversation flowing, (hopefully) post things of interest ourselves and keep the forum humming along nicely, letting discussion thrive and develop. This is harder to do if two parties form such entrenched positions there is no room for debate, please bear this in mind.

In summary.

Don’t be over sensitive to criticism of your favoured team or driver

Do treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself.

Do remember this is a discussion site for F1 as a whole, not a fan appreciation society for any particular teams or drivers.

If the topic becomes to ‘hot’ for you – don’t inflame it further – walk away and let the mod’s decide on appropriate action.

Most of all enjoy posting and reading other people’s thoughts.

AdamAshmore
Super Tourer
Inigo Montoya
garcon
Wrex

The F1 Mod Team.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1286355)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not surprised to be reading your request here. The internet and these boards are way too democratic to be able to rely on people being generally respectful and tolerant.
I view the growing rudeness on these boards the same way I view the awful driving standards from the 'white van man' and the growth of road rage in the UK. The problem is something to do with not actually 'seeing'/'facing' the recipient of your tirade or bad behaviour. You can be that bully . . .
And the similarity doesn't stop there for me. Yes, the internet is the giant super highway, but just like those highways we use every day to get to work, it gets completely cluttered by slow-moving belligerent miseries (and their off spring) quite ill-prepared for anything to do with wit or sport. Or simply ‘getting on’.
I would however also decry you moderators too, for not seeing the wood for the trees occasionally. I thought we had arousing discussion going as to whether Fisicella or Webber were at fault for their coming together in Malaysia which you appeared to nip in the bud before the good stuff was rung out. I thought you backed out a bit early there.
Nevertheless, onward with your crusade!
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1286356)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is all about making an effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
I would however also decry you moderators too, for not seeing the wood for the trees occasionally. I thought we had arousing discussion going as to whether Fisicella or Webber were at fault for their coming together in Malaysia which you appeared to nip in the bud before the good stuff was rung out. I thought you backed out a bit early there.
To answer this specific point briefly. I do agree with your point. There was some interesting discussion going on, but it is that very thread which, at least partly, prompted the above post (don't over-react, don't bash, do read other's posts, etc...). In the end it got closed because real discussion was being swamped and it was becoming too high maintenance - which I apologise for. There was some lovely racing moves discussion going on - I am sure we'll reach those peaks again.

Old 10 Apr 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1286357)   #4
Wingman
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Wingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam- You closed a thread I started after I called one of the drivers a cheat. I took no offence, and figured that you guys wanted to keep the forum on a more technical note. I'm not looking for an argument, but I do enjoy a good discussion with people who know what they are on about. Getting anyone in the main stream media to give an honest opinion when it comes to F1 in general, and M.S. in particular is very rare here in Aus. So that is why I wanted to talk to you guys.
10 Tenths is great, and I've got involved in some of the other forums, so I'm not bailing out. But I would hate to think that the big names in F1 are untouchable.

Cheers

Wingman.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1286358)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calling a driver a cheat is libellous unless you can prove it - so I applaud the decision not to allow such claims here.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1286359)   #6
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same here, it only takes one comment and Ten-Tenths could be in a LOT of trouble. I like the atmsophere in this forum, it makes a change from the groans I get from my friends if I dare mention the latest GP while they ramble on about Eastenders or Desperate Housewives, and I applaude any move to make people's posting experience more enjoyable.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1286360)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On this specific point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
We encourage criticism of any parties involved in F1, as long as it is reasoned and isn't posted with malice or an agenda.
In addition read the FAQ: http://tentenths.com/forum/faq.php?f..._rules_content
Old 10 Apr 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1286361)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Calling a driver a cheat is libellous unless you can prove it - so I applaud the decision not to allow such claims here.
I didn't read Wingmans original post about cheating that got his thread closed, but I am curious about what constitutes libel in this case.

For example, I would find a post that simply states "Mr.A is a cheat!" unacceptable. On the other hand, if someone posted "Clause 123 of the rules clearly states X..... but we all saw Mr.A break that rule on lap Y in the tv footage. IMO, therefore, Mr.X cheated and should be disqualified!", I would consider that simply a "point of view" open to argument and a reasonable post for this website.

Would I be mistaken?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1286362)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's based on facts, yes, that's not a legal problem.

But if it's saying "Driver X is a cheat because Team Speedycar were using a 4 litre engine", that is a specific allegation, which the poster has no way of proving, and would be libellous.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1286363)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I worry here that the original point of ST's post is being lost. Although the libel aspect is important it was more about the etiquette of posting.

While we don't discuss specific cases of member's post being removed I will say that this specific case was not removed due to libellous issues.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1286364)   #11
Wingman
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Wingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My inexperience was probably shown in the thread that was closed. I realise that we have to be very careful with the language used, with the "law suit happy" times we live in. So your point is well taken Kicking-back.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1286365)   #12
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with the points in this thread, or at least the original concept of the thread. I myself have made a comment I shouldn't have for which I do apologise for, was a quick reaction without thinking after a bad day at work.

First time I been on here since my warnings expired and I can go on "as if normal". Only thing I would suggest is making the actual border lines a little clearer initially, although having not fully explored the site 100% this might have already been explained...?
Old 11 Apr 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1286366)   #13
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with these guidelines and always have. I only lashed out at a poster once because I had seen him following a trend of trying to ruin good conversations with little snide remarks and it wound me up a bit.

I do normally try to be respectful to other posters.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1286367)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The FAQ ( click the link at the top of the page or here ) covers everything you need to know about Ten Tenths.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1286368)   #15
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I once quite some time ago made the mistake of saying (not meaning to be boastful) that I was going to be watching a GP with an F1 driver. I got such a lot of abuse and the thread was closed before I got a chance to explain or even pass on some of his comments! I've never bothered to quote him since, seems many people here know more about F1 and racing than we do! The lack of interest in what he or I might have shared shocked me more than the realisation that I had been taken as being arrogant! What a pompus lot we Brits are! I often read items which I have some knowledge about but fear to comment, Pity really. I enjoy exchanging emails with enthusiasts around the world with whom I enjoy great conversation and views on the races, which I do much more often now than posting here, indeed one poster invited me to join another F1 chat forum which I have done, this time however I have learned to remain anonomous! Whatever I learn stuff here too as some people do know their F1 and I do enjoy reading some of the more informed comments.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1286369)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Rennen - it's always good to read your insights on here - they come from a perspective most of us could only dream of.

I for one always appreciate that we are honoured to have a genuine insider on the forum.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1286370)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Hear! hear! Indeed an honour and one which I would certainly respect. Shame there are idiots and fools who don't.

I always like to watch F1 with an ex-F1 driver. Unfortunately I have to share Martin with millions of others every time
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1286371)   #18
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree whole heartedly with the guidelines, however I am going to PM Super Tourer one issue I do have with the forum. Basically because its got to do with moderators and I dont want to make a big deal out of a simple comment . Good work again mods.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1286372)   #19
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
I once quite some time ago made the mistake of saying (not meaning to be boastful) that I was going to be watching a GP with an F1 driver. I got such a lot of abuse and the thread was closed before I got a chance to explain or even pass on some of his comments! I've never bothered to quote him since, seems many people here know more about F1 and racing than we do! The lack of interest in what he or I might have shared shocked me more than the realisation that I had been taken as being arrogant! What a pompus lot we Brits are! I often read items which I have some knowledge about but fear to comment, Pity really. I enjoy exchanging emails with enthusiasts around the world with whom I enjoy great conversation and views on the races, which I do much more often now than posting here, indeed one poster invited me to join another F1 chat forum which I have done, this time however I have learned to remain anonomous! Whatever I learn stuff here too as some people do know their F1 and I do enjoy reading some of the more informed comments.
I wish to be counted among those who appreciate and value your insight, and I hope you will not be put off by those who do not. I find the insights you provide very interesting indeed.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1286373)   #20
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Rennen, even I'm interested in your opinion (sometimes)!
(Thanks for the dvd by the way)
Old 18 Apr 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1286374)   #21
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rennen, you shoud keep the insight coming. I consider 10/10ths as a family of motorsport addicts which suits me just fine. Obviously in such a large family, you will always find one or two strange characters, but it should not keep you from expressing your views...Because we want to read them!!! About inside information, I happen to come across a few, and I often make it public, provided it does not damage anybody. My thoughts on that are pretty clear : this is a motorsports forum and it is our common passion. So it is fun to share information in this "exoteric" community, although I will occasionally get bashed for pulling out things which I now are true, but look like they're made up. That happened for Vic Lee, Ferrari's loss of staff and again for new staff at RBR. But it's ok. I still find it fun to spark a discussion. So please keep up the exchange!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1286375)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good post Rennen. I don't agree with you about everything you say, but I hope you enjoy the exchange of views and the lively discussion which inevitably occurs regarding the F1 driver in question.

The Vic Lee situation is a shame, I really wish we could enter more discussion about this, but I udnerstand that Royalridge Computing would be the ones in toruble, adn that wouldn't be fair.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1286376)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Rennen, any time there is something that you wish to say, but want to hold back on - just pm me! I enjoy reading your comments and came to "trust" them long ago. It is always good to read something here that has more "substance" than "conjecture" to it.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.