Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Dec 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4091365)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I can see RD being one of those retired blokes who still calls in to the office 4 days a week "in case anyone needs my help".
Doesn’t Mr Johnson do that at Stapylton, albeit with less effect?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Dec 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4091398)   #27
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Mrs Klimenko?
Old 28 Dec 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4091581)   #28
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Doesn’t Mr Johnson do that at Stapylton, albeit with less effect?
Difference is that Dick remains a shareholder and never announced he was stepping away. Obviously Ryan Storey is the chief decision maker at DJR, but Dick hasn't held that role for many years.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 21:29 (Ref:4091597)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder how hard Mr Dane laughs at all the people who think he is the anti-Christ...

He built a business, a very successful one.
And according to Mr Quinn a commercially successful one as well.

And spent 18 years and some building it. And sold slices of it off to invest in making it bigger (like the 2nd facility up the road, and all the shiny new machine tools apparently going into it)

Tall poppy syndrome abounds.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 22:42 (Ref:4091604)   #30
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will always be haters of those who are successful. Those who dislike Dane because of the success he has had, probably didn't like Tom Walkinshaw, Fred Gibson, Dick Johnson and Frank Gardner when they had periods of success.

While teams haven't opened their books for perusal, there is a consensus that few if any teams have been turning a profit in recent years. Dane claimed as recently as 2019 that Triple Eight was only breaking even.
Old 29 Dec 2021, 01:49 (Ref:4091618)   #31
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder how hard Mr Dane laughs at all the people who think he is the anti-Christ...

And spent 18 years and some building it. And sold slices of it off to invest in making it bigger (like the 2nd facility up the road, and all the shiny new machine tools apparently going into it)

The Sport is ALOT Better for having Dane and 888 Camp involved.
Aussies love to knock success.

This guy is a legend.
Old 31 Dec 2021, 04:18 (Ref:4091864)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
An interesting view of the ‘other’ 888

Make of it what you will…
Old 31 Dec 2021, 06:06 (Ref:4091877)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
An interesting view of the ‘other’ 888

Interesting article, thanks for the share.
I guess RD was always "My way or the highway".
Old 31 Dec 2021, 22:43 (Ref:4091995)   #34
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing like unconditional love, and toughening up the young bloke for his future career.
Old 1 Jan 2022, 03:46 (Ref:4092029)   #35
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
When it comes to these things there will be two stories told, and between them somewhere lies the truth.
Old 1 Jan 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4092051)   #36
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Plato is no saint, either.
Old 1 Jan 2022, 09:58 (Ref:4092054)   #37
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Mr Plato is no saint, either.
.... and Mr Muller is? Im no fan of Plato and agree he is no saint, but Muller has always struck me as being tarred with a similar brush.
Old 1 Jan 2022, 10:15 (Ref:4092055)   #38
Umai Naa
Veteran

You're right.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 07:04 (Ref:4092534)   #39
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
This is one for chavez, who asked me in the TCR thread about what factors I considered when I came to the "conclusion" that motor racing was a smaller culture.

Instead of cherry picking specific tv ratings and attendances, 888's presence in Australia and Sandgroper's posts is reflective of how lightweight the motor racing culture is in Australia.

While the UK operation may've stopped a long time ago, 888 is a UK team that's migrated down here. It's a team that benefitted from UK/European racing. It's been the leading team in Australia for 15 years, momentarily usurped by DJR having the benefit of being supported by Penske, a bigger operation, a small F1 team.

888/Dane was a lame team during Super touring 3rd of 3 teams in the 2000 season), and success came when super touring stopped and the btcc started going through a trough.

Dane himself was the third wheel, least credible, hanger on of the 3 initial owners of 888. He brings nothing to the table in a motor racing sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
The Sport is ALOT Better for having Dane and 888 Camp involved.
Aussies love to knock success.

This guy is a legend.
The worst thing about Sandgroper's post is that there's a lot of people that think like him. It's an attitude that's lame and a bad reflection on Australian motorsport.

Australian motorsport/ATCC benefits nothing from 888/Dane being here as they are. Had they not been here, it's probable that competing in the ATCC/Bathurst would be less expensive and had greater value to participate.

There would've still been a leading team, but not dominant and lame like 888, and more successful Australian teams.

Many more variables and fluctuations of performances between teams. The expertise from Europe/USA would've been more evenly balanced, as no one would've had the early running like 888 did.

You compare 888/Dane to TWR/Walkinshaw. Tom Walkinshaw was already an accomplished figure in motor racing before coming for Bathurst. What he saw in Australia, he loved so much eventually he got a team going.

It was a two way thing though. TWR was a contribution of Australian motorsport, and Australian motorsport was a contribution to TWR. On top of that, it was just one part of TWR, and Walkinshaw himself had bigger fish to fry.

Dane on the other hand is an opportunist. Despite being a BTCC winning team owner, he was still a lightweight in UK/European motorsport. As opposed to Australia being one part of a bigger operation, it became a livelihood, and Australia is not the place for International competitors to do that.

He's not an accomplished driver, engineer or mechanic. He's the equivalent of a Vietnamese household finding their sweet spot in their shopping centre/strip and becoming a popular local bakery.

For him to be thought of as a legend is actually a sad reflection of Australian motorsport.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 07:07 (Ref:4092535)   #40
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

This is another horrid post. No mentioning of motor racing anywhere, But mentions of "business", "commercially" & "invest".

Am I reading the opinions of someone who considers themself a motor racing fan, or is this Alan Kohler or Elysse Morgan's account on a business forum?
Old 5 Jan 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4092550)   #41
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The footage from Silverstone alone goes a long way to backing up the Plato version, on that part of the story at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Nothing like unconditional love, and toughening up the young bloke for his future career.
Plato was hardly a young bloke by 2001, he’s older than Muller!
Old 5 Jan 2022, 12:51 (Ref:4092564)   #42
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
This is one for chavez, who asked me in the TCR thread about what factors I considered when I came to the "conclusion" that motor racing was a smaller culture.

Instead of cherry picking specific tv ratings and attendances, 888's presence in Australia and Sandgroper's posts is reflective of how lightweight the motor racing culture is in Australia.

While the UK operation may've stopped a long time ago, 888 is a UK team that's migrated down here. It's a team that benefitted from UK/European racing. It's been the leading team in Australia for 15 years, momentarily usurped by DJR having the benefit of being supported by Penske, a bigger operation, a small F1 team.

888/Dane was a lame team during Super touring 3rd of 3 teams in the 2000 season), and success came when super touring stopped and the btcc started going through a trough.

Dane himself was the third wheel, least credible, hanger on of the 3 initial owners of 888. He brings nothing to the table in a motor racing sense.

The worst thing about Sandgroper's post is that there's a lot of people that think like him. It's an attitude that's lame and a bad reflection on Australian motorsport.

Australian motorsport/ATCC benefits nothing from 888/Dane being here as they are. Had they not been here, it's probable that competing in the ATCC/Bathurst would be less expensive and had greater value to participate.

There would've still been a leading team, but not dominant and lame like 888, and more successful Australian teams.

Many more variables and fluctuations of performances between teams. The expertise from Europe/USA would've been more evenly balanced, as no one would've had the early running like 888 did.

You compare 888/Dane to TWR/Walkinshaw. Tom Walkinshaw was already an accomplished figure in motor racing before coming for Bathurst. What he saw in Australia, he loved so much eventually he got a team going.

It was a two way thing though. TWR was a contribution of Australian motorsport, and Australian motorsport was a contribution to TWR. On top of that, it was just one part of TWR, and Walkinshaw himself had bigger fish to fry.

Dane on the other hand is an opportunist. Despite being a BTCC winning team owner, he was still a lightweight in UK/European motorsport. As opposed to Australia being one part of a bigger operation, it became a livelihood, and Australia is not the place for International competitors to do that.

He's not an accomplished driver, engineer or mechanic. He's the equivalent of a Vietnamese household finding their sweet spot in their shopping centre/strip and becoming a popular local bakery.

For him to be thought of as a legend is actually a sad reflection of Australian motorsport.
Old 5 Jan 2022, 13:18 (Ref:4092569)   #43
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
*gets popcorn and beer, then settles into the recliner with the laptop*
Old 6 Jan 2022, 01:03 (Ref:4092630)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
This is another horrid post. No mentioning of motor racing anywhere, But mentions of "business", "commercially" & "invest".

Am I reading the opinions of someone who considers themself a motor racing fan, or is this Alan Kohler or Elysse Morgan's account on a business forum?
If the BUSINESS of 888 did not exist, the cars run by Team18, Tekno, MSR would not exist. Nor would the components in the control supply, and indeed the engine supply thru KRE... simply would not exist.

Somebody has to pay for the motor racing. Its not run by patrons.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 01:24 (Ref:4092634)   #45
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From this:

To this:

In short order. Surely even those who dislike 888 Race Engineering have to admit that is a job well-done?

IIRC, far from spouting pro-888 bias GTRMagic was rightly critical of Triple Eight's explodey Sodemo-built French Ford Windsor engines at the time as well as a 888 V8 Supercar's tendency for suspension failure and other kinds of component failure. Prodrive's British-built Windsors had a similar tendency for catastrophic engine failure too. Both outfits eventually worked out a more suitable approach.

Quote:
Sodemo should be better than the prodrive mob... but then again the 1st yr apprentice down at the local Ford dealer could probably nail together a better engine than the Poms at FPR
Quote:
With engines built by somebody else, and a chassis on its 2nd 888 evolution... how much did it cost in terms of poor results, and shedloads of Euros/Pounds/Dollars to get where they are now???
Quote:
This is the 2nd full year of 888 ownership though. the 2004 year was a total waste of resources..... a "building year" as FPR/Lowndes would say
Quote:
If a team thinks its clever to fit brand new (untested on track) components to each of their race cars at the biggest race of the year... and to watch them fail in public... seems quite an odd way to go motor racing to me...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 6 Jan 2022 at 01:30.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 01:28 (Ref:4092635)   #46
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
IIRC, GTRMagic was rightly critical of Triple Eight's explodey Sodemo-built French Ford Windsor engines at the time. Prodrive's British-built Windsors had a similar tendency for catastrophic engine failure too. Both outfits eventually worked out a more suitable approach.
Yeah - have the engines built in Oz by people who know how to build a pushrod engine. That fixed it.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 01:38 (Ref:4092637)   #47
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yeah - have the engines built in Oz by people who know how to build a pushrod engine. That fixed it.
Perhaps, sadly, Stone Brothers Racing were outplayed politically -- supplying their excellent engines to a rival who would then beat them. They are perhaps better engineers than they are ruthless politicians.

Heck, they even sold a complete and competitive used chassis to Gibson Motorsport too -- an outfit which arguably absorbed Ford Racing funds away from themselves (and away from Glenn Seton Racing). A chassis which Oscar "man of a thousand springs" Fiornotto was not necessarily able to improve upon in a new build.

Conversely, you see Toto Wolff refusing time and time again to supply Red Bull Racing (F1 team) with Mercedes High Performance Powertrain engines (even despite an Aston Martin - Mercedes link and Aston Martin sponsorship of Red Bull Racing): a ruthless and cynical politician playing every angle to advantage.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 6 Jan 2022 at 01:43.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 02:09 (Ref:4092641)   #48
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
From what I remember, the build was ok, and the numbers on the dyno was where they wanted them to be. But once the engine was installed in the car that's when everything turned to crap....
Old 6 Jan 2022, 02:16 (Ref:4092642)   #49
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Somebody has to pay for the motor racing. Its not run by patrons.
Well in TCR it seems to be, just like GT racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Perhaps, sadly, Stone Brothers Racing were outplayed politically -- supplying their excellent engines to a rival who would then beat them. They are perhaps better engineers than they are ruthless politicians.
This is the same as Larry Perkins and others who were excellent at the engineering side of the business but as the businesses themselves got bigger they needed to bring in more competent management to run the whole business and keep all the stakeholders happy.

It is interesting to me that the Stone Brothers seem to be the type that has an expiry date, if you look at everything they did, they never really kept at anything for any length of time. Some personalities are just like that.
Old 6 Jan 2022, 02:28 (Ref:4092643)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
From what I remember, the build was ok, and the numbers on the dyno was where they wanted them to be. But once the engine was installed in the car that's when everything turned to crap....
Can't recall on the Sodemo engines but the Tickford engine(s) (from memory) were OK but not great on power but lacked torque - arguably the most important performance measure of these engines.