Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:05 (Ref:842787)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lancia ECV Group S

http://freespace.virgin.net/shalco.com/lancia_gp_s.htm

Does anyone know anything about the Lancia ECV Group S car.

Info on the mid-engined Audi Quattro and all carbon Toyota MR2 Group S cars would also be much appreciated.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:14 (Ref:842797)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
says it all there really.

Gp S was banned before it hit the roads.

http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/s.html
Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:27 (Ref:842811)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where is the car now?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:29 (Ref:843148)   #4
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
probably in a FIAT group museum somewhere
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:19 (Ref:843235)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me want...drive....car....its like a rally version of the last generation of Le Mans cars, the Mercedes and Toyota and Porsche beautifal, its to bad they became dangerous AMerican rallying is a lot more open and with less spectators maybe they could be brought back here
Old 20 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:844683)   #6
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the car now?

In the old lancia sheds in italy (seriously) where all the old war dogs are...

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:46 (Ref:846959)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine any of these cars exist any more. More likely to be in rustic old sheds at the factories somwhere.
Lancia was only ever a mock up anyway. Quattro aswell though I think it actually ran. MR2 was by far the most secret, only ever seen a couple of pictures.
People forget that Opel ran a Group S car in the Dakar and on teh British championship.
Also raced in very different form by John Welch in rallycross!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:57 (Ref:847102)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by chunder
People forget that Opel ran a Group S car in the Dakar and on teh British championship.
I know someone that's been in contact with John Welch recently about that car (Hi Allen) - it's still tucked away safe in a shed somewhere. No doubt Allen will post some details here if he reads this....
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:07 (Ref:847121)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quattro aswell though I think it actually ran. MR2 was by far the most secret, only ever seen a couple of pictures.
At the time I think Autosport or someone published a very blurred and grainy photo of something that appeared to be a mid-engined Sport Quattro testing in Germany. Photos of the MR2 have been published in at least one book.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:34 (Ref:847253)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
There are some books available, that collate old articles on the cars such as the Quattro and RS200.

In one of the 4 quattro books there is a feature on the mid engined quattro.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:28 (Ref:847384)   #11
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did someone mention Mk2 Astra's???? Hi Bertmk2

I know a fair bit about the Opel Kadett Rallye 4x4. Originally Opel made 4 cars, but didn't have a butdget for an engine or gearbox. Eventually a manta 400 engine was used and turbocharged getting around 500bhp. Vauxhall supercharged it getting around 300 - 350bhp. That was built by SRE with no intercooler. John Welch bought the 2 Paris - Dakar cars, 1 of which he wrote off unfortunately. The 4x4 gear box was designed between him and Martin schancher from X-trac. Cosworth got involved with and engine build an IRRC from the horses mouth (being John Welch), the effort with cosworth on the zackspeed engine was around 500bhp. The final incarnation engine wise used a carlton 2.3ltr diesel block stroked back to 2.1, used BMW F1 inlet manifold and turbo. resultant power was 750bhp and 540lb/ft. Not too shabby for 17 years ago. More info can be found on www.astra-mk2.com

Last edited by Allen Mead; 22 Jan 2004 at 20:31.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 06:36 (Ref:849041)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a good article in Motorsport a few years ago about the demise of Group S.

The Lancia ECV wasn't a propper Group S car, more an experimental design, though it probably would have formed the basis of the Group S car.

The Audi did abit of running (i have the pic somewhere), as did a Skoda.

There is a pic of the Toyota in the article as well.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 14:29 (Ref:849320)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John sold the complete car to I think it was Tommy Kritoffersen was it for the transmission.
One of the big Swedes like Tommy or Jernberg bought the whole car for the transmission.
Don't think it is in a shed anywehere unless that one is the one John wrote off at Lydden where he hurt his back.
He actually built two, the newer one was sold to Sweden somewhere.
Used Manta 400 bits basically with BMW F1 tech on the turbo.
Paris Dakar cars were the ones with turbo's weren't they and the car Andrew Wood drove was supercharged and allegedly mid engined, ie the engine was behind the axle in the front, right up to the bulkhead
Old 24 Jan 2004, 16:05 (Ref:849377)   #14
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Welch had the Opel Kadett first didn't he, I'm sure he did keep that as spares for the newer Vauxhall Astra which he indeed sold to Kristoffersen for the xtrac system, because he couldn't wait for the one he had ordered. Someone also did that with Arild Martinsens BMW Xtrac, can you remmember who that was Chunder?
Old 24 Jan 2004, 16:24 (Ref:849388)   #15
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can someone post a pic of the group s audi? I'm a big fan of the quattros (sport quattro is very yummi)
Old 24 Jan 2004, 20:58 (Ref:849577)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Not sure who bought Arild's car. Was one of those cars that just seemed to disappear from view, despite it being a marvel of engineering!!
Old 24 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:849672)   #17
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure Olle Arnesson was up for buying it when his Quattro S1 was outlawed, he had a big car accident so that put payed to that. That BMW was some car though, it was just as competitive as the Group B cars, incredible power and handling, for the big car.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 07:24 (Ref:849847)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More on the Opel's, they were used as example's in a presentation to FISA in a final attempt to get them to change their decision on banning Group S......They shouldn't have bothered, once Balestre had his mind made up about something........
Old 25 Jan 2004, 15:25 (Ref:850049)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Piccy of the Astra 4S:
Attached Thumbnails
astra_4s_01_sml.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2004, 15:27 (Ref:850050)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Don't think it is in a shed anywehere unless that one is the one John wrote off at Lydden where he hurt his back.
He actually built two, the newer one was sold to Sweden somewhere.
John Welch has still got one of the cars (complete - not the written off one). See the website Allen posted above somewhere - it's got more about the Astra 4S and more about the John Welch car.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 18:24 (Ref:850157)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Have often wondered what happened to all those cars. Would make a good book what do you reckon?
Great piccies of once great cars under sheets in garages
Old 2 Feb 2004, 00:33 (Ref:859601)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
http://www.audisportcollection.com/A...n2003/326.html

Here are some pictures of the mid engined Quattro and what appears to be a very weird Audi Group S concept car.

Can anyone translate what is said about the cars?

Last edited by JAG; 2 Feb 2004 at 00:35.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 08:50 (Ref:859824)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The group S bit translates (badly) as:

"The group B will remain in the memories like most enthralling and envoûtante but also terrible and fatal page of the history of the rally. In 1984, TRUSTED it evoked already the probable disappearance of this diabolic category in which the race with the power did not have any more limit. A hypothetical group S was to then be born, and Audi had already prepared with this possibility. The result was this astonishing car, now exposed to Audi Museum. Of course, she never knew the asphalt of the tests since Audi engaged turbo Audi 200 groups A of it"

(translation by alta vistas babelfish service)
Old 17 Feb 2004, 02:41 (Ref:876481)   #24
NSMG
Rookie

NSMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can't imagine any of these cars exist any more. More likely to be in rustic old sheds at the factories somwhere.
Lancia was only ever a mock up anyway. Quattro aswell though I think it actually ran. MR2 was by far the most secret, only ever seen a couple of pictures.
Well...
The Lancia ECV was a fully working prototype.Abarth made intensive testing with this car before dismantling it to build the ECV2, as this car uses the same chassis.
The remains of the ECV were bought by an ex-Abarth mechanic who is reportedly trying to rebuid it using an S4 chassis...that is all I know.
The misterious Audi Gr.S prototype can be seen at the Audi Museum at Ingolstadt.I tried to obtain information about this car , but I had always the door shut in my face..
What is irritating is that the car was fully restored and it actually works, but don't expect to see it moving on the next 20 years...
The Toyota MR-2 Gr.S was first shown to the public in the early nineties.2 cars were made.1 is in TTE in Germany and the other is in Japan.
The most misterious Gr.S car prototype is the Mazda Gr.S built by Mazda Euro Rally Team in Belgium.
This is all I know...

Best Regards.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 05:28 (Ref:877956)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
someone really really needs to do a book or website with all this info its really important to the history of the sport andd it is to bad its under wraps like this