Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2295154)   #1
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 NZ Formula Pacific Series

Having finally got all the detailed race results of this series, I am trying to narrow down car identities. This is not too bad for the Australian and American based cars, but I am having a few problems with the NZ ones.

Can anyone offer any help on the following

Heather Spurle Chevron B34 [was this the ex Redman B29 with slimmed down bodywork?]
Peter Haskett Chevron B34 [his B49 with old bodywork or a real B34?]
Dave McMillan Ralt RT4 [his old ex Theodore car used in previous NZ series?]
Brett Riley Ralt RT4. Presumably rented; photo show it to be rocker arm suspension and 82 bodywork, any advice on owner
Geoff Champion March 77B [one of the ex Grob cars or what?]
John Crawford Dart 84M [the ex Riley car? As the McMillan one was sold in US]
Bryan Hartley Ralt RT4
Ken Smith Ralt RT4 [this is before KS became a serial owner of pre-owned RT4s so should be traceable. I think it's the remains of a Rick Shea team car from 84 or 85 NZ series, wrecked by Grant Campbell]

Chris
Old 23 Sep 2008, 04:04 (Ref:2295780)   #2
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris.

The Champion March 77B will not be ex. Grob as they were / are still in Australia from early 1978 ??.

It may be my brothers 772-5 as it was always called a 77B in NZ , I will see if Kevin has this name on his ownership list.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2295788)   #3
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris

Will have a look through my archives, I know I have many pics of the Ralts but think it was from later. Have also sent you a PM

Cheers

NAC
Old 23 Sep 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2295997)   #4
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can’t help much, as I had left NZ by that time, and what information I have has been trawled by remote control.
Heather Spurle’s Chevron B34 was the ex-Oxton car
I would have thought Haskett’s mount was his B49
My memory is that Jeff Champion bought one of Ken Smith’s Marches, but annoyingly I seem never to have made a note of it. Either the 74B or - more likely - the 76B
Don’t know about Crawford’s Dart - but didn’t Radisich have one a little earlier? Or was that the McMillan one?
Can’t help with any of the RT4s, except that Hartley’s was the one raced by Steve Cameron in 1985
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2296046)   #5
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Ross Cheever win the 86 NZGP in a Ralt RT4
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2296166)   #6
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKinney
I can’t help much, as I had left NZ by that time, and what information I have has been trawled by remote control.
Heather Spurle’s Chevron B34 was the ex-Oxton car
I would have thought Haskett’s mount was his B49
My memory is that Jeff Champion bought one of Ken Smith’s Marches, but annoyingly I seem never to have made a note of it. Either the 74B or - more likely - the 76B
Don’t know about Crawford’s Dart - but didn’t Radisich have one a little earlier? Or was that the McMillan one?
Can’t help with any of the RT4s, except that Hartley’s was the one raced by Steve Cameron in 1985
David, Many thanks especially for the Hartley RT4. That means it was one of Rick Shea's cars [of three] One wrecked by Ross Cameron at 1985 NZ GP was said to go to Kenny Smith for parts. Do you mean Hartley's was this one, or one of the two intact cars that Shea finished the 1985 series with?

Darts: Riley and McMillan both had 83 models, chassis 1 and 3 - no sign of 2... Crawford's 84 model is the first of that type. I wonder if it is a rebuild of the Riley car. I know that McMillan sold his 83 model in California to Mike Downs.

Chris
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2296170)   #7
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Didn't Ross Cheever win the 86 NZGP in a Ralt RT4
Yes indeed, 86 model run by Graham Watson. This car owned in recent years by Richard Carter in Australia, though not sure if he's still got it

Chris
Old 23 Sep 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2296413)   #8
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Chris
Although still in NZ in 1985 I didn't attend any races
My notes simply say Steve Cameron then Hartley, though now you mention it, Ross Cameron might be likelier
I'll see what else I can find...
Old 24 Sep 2008, 05:20 (Ref:2296639)   #9
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,
For the records Richard Carter sold his car last year to Rob. Sviderskas , who has since onsold to Gary Holt both Sydney based.

Bryan.

P.S. Did you get the Tasman photo's??
Old 29 Nov 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3172908)   #10
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Having finally got all the detailed race results of this series, I am trying to narrow down car identities. This is not too bad for the Australian and American based cars, but I am having a few problems with the NZ ones.

Can anyone offer any help on the following

Heather Spurle Chevron B34 [was this the ex Redman B29 with slimmed down bodywork?]
Peter Haskett Chevron B34 [his B49 with old bodywork or a real B34?]
Dave McMillan Ralt RT4 [his old ex Theodore car used in previous NZ series?]
Brett Riley Ralt RT4. Presumably rented; photo show it to be rocker arm suspension and 82 bodywork, any advice on owner
Geoff Champion March 77B [one of the ex Grob cars or what?]
John Crawford Dart 84M [the ex Riley car? As the McMillan one was sold in US]
Bryan Hartley Ralt RT4
Ken Smith Ralt RT4 [this is before KS became a serial owner of pre-owned RT4s so should be traceable. I think it's the remains of a Rick Shea team car from 84 or 85 NZ series, wrecked by Grant Campbell]

Chris
Just found this. Hope my info helps

John Crawford- The Dart he used would have been the McMillian Chassis, he also may have raced it at Pukekohe in March 1985 as well. Paul Radisich used this car at 1984 Australian Grand Prix.
To my Knowledge Brett Rileys car was only used in New Zealabd in early 1984 for the International Races and a couple of Gold Star rounds and Manfeild and Pukekohe plus Australian Grand Prix in 1983 and the NZ Gold Star Round in December 1983. It never raced in New Zealand again.

Grant Campbell never wrecked his Ralt RT4. This was then sold to Paul Radisich and used 1987/88 seasons.

Peter Haskett car was the ex Graeme Lawrence B49, rolled by him in Malaysia in 1979

McMillian was in his old by then Ralt RT4

Iam sure Kenny Smith would have still been using the same Ralt RT4 he had used for several seasons.

He had a brand new car by the end of 1986 along with Graeme Lawrence for Davy Jones to drive (Along with Brett Riley at Baypark right at thr end of 1986)

The Ralt RT4 that Riley used in January 1986 would have been the Eric Morgan car, also used by Riley the year before.