Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3088909)   #1
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newb Headed to Spa 24. Wondering what to Expect

Hey, I'm a long time lurker finally posting. I've decided to bite the bullet and head to Spa this year for the 24 hours event in late July as I'm returning to university in September and time will be a little more filled for the next few years. I'm a big GT/Endurance fan so, unable to afford Le Mans and Spa being a favourite circuit, I felt this would be a good event to attend as my first racing trip on the continent.

My tickets are already booked, I'll be camping at the circuit from the 25th through to the 30th and I have general and paddock admission tickets. I'm now just updating my camping gear as it's been a while.

I've never been to the circuit, or Belgium for that matter and there's a few things I am wondering from those that have been.

Firstly, what admission and access do you get with the paddock tickets? I was lucky enough to attend the Toronto Indy event whilst I lived in Canada and you were allowed to get near some, but not all the cars/teams.

Also, what's internet access like at the circuit? I don't have a 4G phone or a 3G for that matter and I have no intention of taking my laptop as I'm attending a music festival after the Spa24 event and I'm not uber keen leaving it lying around in an unattended tent! Subsequently, is there any internet consoles/cafes in or near the circuit?

Finally, will I be able to get English commentary during the race? I can't remember if Le Mans Radio covered the event last year, but I know the Blancpain Endurance Series, which the Spa 24 is a constituent part of their season, does get British coverage on MotorsTV and via YouTube. It's not a major loss if I don't, but I'm considering taking a radio if I can!

Cheers
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3088917)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
First up, you can get pretty much anywhere you want with those tickets.
There MAY be a supplement for Pit Walk but I just wander in the first day before practice, and no one seems over worried.
Never found any internet hotspots on the circuit, but there's the usual free wifi in towns nearby. Cafes/burger places, etc.
I'm not sure if RLM will be covering Spa24, but from past experience Hindy is limited on where he can bolt the transmitter aerial, so coverage on circuit can be VERY spotty. The circuit coverage is French/Flemish, with updates in English/German. I find that usually suffices. I think you may have to work the old fashioned way, and guess!

Relax, it's fun. Even in the rain.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3088947)   #3
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
First up, you can get pretty much anywhere you want with those tickets.
There MAY be a supplement for Pit Walk but I just wander in the first day before practice, and no one seems over worried.
Never found any internet hotspots on the circuit, but there's the usual free wifi in towns nearby. Cafes/burger places, etc.
I'm not sure if RLM will be covering Spa24, but from past experience Hindy is limited on where he can bolt the transmitter aerial, so coverage on circuit can be VERY spotty. The circuit coverage is French/Flemish, with updates in English/German. I find that usually suffices. I think you may have to work the old fashioned way, and guess!

Well it has been raining for about two months now here in Belgium, so hopes are high that summer will be hot and dry (some showers at Spa 24 are never to be excluded).

What Tim The Grey said is true, just sneak into the pits on tuesday or wednesday, a lot of people do it. You can walk through the pitlane and talk to drivers or take a close look at the cars. Also do not forget to visit Spa on Wednesday (around 4 o'clock) because there's a presentation of all the cars and drivers. Around 7.30 the cars go back at the track, with practice and qualifying on thursday.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3089249)   #4
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Rain's not a problem, at least hopefully not, I'll be using a new tent! Although there was a reason I didn't mention the weather in my OP, lol. It was raining and foggy last year if my memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDG View Post
What Tim The Grey said is true, just sneak into the pits on tuesday or wednesday, a lot of people do it. You can walk through the pitlane and talk to drivers or take a close look at the cars. Also do not forget to visit Spa on Wednesday (around 4 o'clock) because there's a presentation of all the cars and drivers. Around 7.30 the cars go back at the track, with practice and qualifying on thursday.
Hmmm, Wednesday, my tickets are only valid camping wise for the Wednesday through to Monday, I was planning on travelling in on the Wednesday as I'm going by coach and live in Cornwall so it takes me as long to get to London as from London to Brussels. Not sure I'll be able to make it for the afternoon, which would be a shame. Will have to look at alternate options.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3089278)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do the top ten qualifiers (IIRC) still drive their cars on the public roads?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 22:02 (Ref:3089290)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
AFAIK ALL the cars on parade are driven there and back. Mechanics usually...