Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jul 2002, 19:29 (Ref:345648)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KOOL considers future options

KOOL considers future options:

http://www.tsn.ca/racing/readstory.asp?story_id=2443913

Jul 29) tsn.ca - Cigarette maker Brown and Williamson, whose KOOL brand is a primary sponsor of Paul Tracy's CART team, says it is considering a move to the rival Indy Racing League series for 2003.

However, Burt Kremer - a consultant who heads up KOOL's racing program - also admits that the cigarette maker could pull out of racing altogether at the end of this year.

"I am leaning to the other side, yes," said Kremer prior to Sunday's Vancouver Molson Indy. "All I'm looking for is a return on our investment. That's all."

"Certainly it's a possibility we will not (be in racing next year)." he added

While Kremer praised new CART boss Chris Pook for his work since taking over the troubled series, he says that the current series schedule which runs half of its races outside of the United States does little to help KOOL get the message out to its target audience.

Kremer also admits that CART's lack of a "large national event" like the Indianapolis 500 also hurts.

A final decision on the company's future in racing is expected to be made in late August.

Michael Andretti recently purchased the assets of Team KOOL Green from Barry Green but has yet to announce which series the new Andretti Green will compete in next year. The speculation is that he will take at least one of the cars to the IRL and will definitely field an entry for himself in the Indianapolis 500.

--------------------------------------------

If Kool wants to go let them go sounds like Kool is just looking for excuses to leave.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:27 (Ref:345839)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy told us in Toronto that the date would be August 25th when they were to make their decision. Personally I'd say they will be out of racing altogether as the Tobacco Nannies will soon be making their lives even more miserable. Mr. Ashley Judd will probably go to Newman Haas if he doesn't jump to the Invisible Racing League (I'd guess with the Hollywood Connection at NH, the former will be his choice) and PT it is rumoured is already signed with Players.

So if Mikey jumps, it will be one antiquated crank out of our hair and two more spaces for some real talent to fill in.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:52 (Ref:346564)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, things don't look good.
From Autosport:

New CART team owner Michael Andretti could be on the verge of switching his outfit from Champ Cars to the rival Indy Racing League, if he follows the indications from his main sponsor, KOOL cigarettes.

According to a consultant for KOOL's parent company Brown & Williamson, the IRL is looking more favourable than continuing in CART.

Bert Kremer, a former director of sponsorship for Brown & Williamson, said: "Am I leaning toward the other side? Yes, because quite frankly [CART] is a tougher sell right now. But all I am looking at is return on investment. That involves two things: your cost and your benefit you get in return.

"We're talking with CART. We're trying to work through both sides of those things. Have we made a lot of progress to date? Not a lot."

A major consideration for KOOL is that CART has become more international while the IRL is solely US based. Some of the countries where Champ Cars race are not markets where KOOL cigarettes are sold.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:02 (Ref:346568)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's inevitable that the fag companies will try to stay in a market thats solely american based. But the only event that draws a crowd in the irl is the indy 500.
I personally can't wait to see all cigarette advertising out of all sports
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:18 (Ref:346579)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Motorsport in general needs the tobacco money. Now maybe more than ever. There doesn't seem to be a long line of corporations willing to step in and fill the void.

Winston, Marlboro, Players, KOOL, Hollywood, West, B&H... The list goes on. Losing these sponsors will mean losing tens of millions of dollars. In virtually every category of major racing, from F1 to hydroplanes. From bikes to rally.

We're gonna start seeing many teams fold, and many talented drivers left without a ride. The grids are inevitably going to shrink, and our sport is going to suffer.

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 Jul 2002 at 19:19.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:48 (Ref:346602)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Idea where Franchitti is going? I heard on here that Newman Haas were interested in him.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:52 (Ref:346607)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Nothing concrete. I'm sure any team would love to have him.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 22:33 (Ref:346719)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about Andretti's emphasis on "we'll go where the sponsors want to go."

When do the anti-tobacco laws kick off in the US? Is it the end of 2003?

Let's say KOOL say, "we want you in the IRL," come the end of 2003, Andretti/Green will be out of a major sponsor and they'll be stuck in a rubbish series.

I know without sponsorship, teams can't race, but perhaps AGR need to look at the future of the team.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:56 (Ref:346772)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL 500 is Mikey's Holy Grail (like Le Mans is to his father) so perhaps he personally will run in the Invisible Racing League just for that chance, with the KOOL sponsorship. I hear they are getting 7-11 and some other sponsor that could fund them in Champ Cars if they wanted to run manly man cars.

As for Mr. Judd, I'm guessing he'll get Christian's drive so they can exploit the Hollywood Connection.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 08:30 (Ref:346938)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
There's a rumour in cyberspace that Barry Green has purchased the assets of PacWest. It's no secret that KOOL is interested in the IRL, and Barry could see the writing on the wall, as he has absolutely no interest in that series.

Another rumour has it that Tony George and Honda have offered Andretti $10 million.

Sorry to be spreading rumours, but they can be fun...
Old 31 Jul 2002, 13:32 (Ref:347146)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Andretti is big to the IRL... They want him to waste away the remaining years of his career going in circles and into contrete walls, as opposed to around road/street courses into tyre walls.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 31 Jul 2002, 15:58 (Ref:347235)   #12
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael had better be careful. Despite his success over the years, if you mentioned the name Andretti to your average American, his answer would likely be Mario first, and maybe even John second. I think Penske has suffered going to the IRL, and IMHO, Michael would too. What a shame that would be.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 16:14 (Ref:347241)   #13
Liz
Veteran

I think if he does jump, someone should go to one of their races with a sign that says "We Still Have Mario!"