Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2006, 04:07 (Ref:1535876)   #1
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winner this year? Anyone here pulling for Fisi?

I know this is probably an old thread, but I haven't been around in a while. The Renaults seem quite quick as do the Hondas. While the McLarens may show a lot later, me thinks they're the same ol'Mclaren.....kaboom. Maybe i'm wrong.

Alonso and Button being the #1's in their respective teams, anyone think Fisi or Rubens has a shot this year?

Either way it's shaping up to be a great year.

Thoughts?

BMW baby....all the way. Quick Nick 2006......
Old 4 Mar 2006, 04:13 (Ref:1535877)   #2
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im For Fisi He Can Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4 Mar 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1536400)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hehehe... If you've been around the forum for a few years, you know what I think on this subject...

but just in case you don't know...

FORZA FISI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5 Mar 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1536423)   #4
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Fisi and Rubens are in with a very good chance. Probably lean just a bit towards Rubens. They both have very good cars under them.

Fisi has the advantage of Alonso leaving next year so any perceived (in his mind) bias wil be gone. Seems they have the best car by a margin at this stage so if Fisi has another good start to season I expect him to hang in much better. If the Renault is dominant it is all about not making errors - only 2 points between first and second so if need be 2nd behind Alonso early on is okay, wait for an error or the inevitable team focus to shift. If he is within 10 points with three races to go then I can see him winning the title...

Rubens has plenty of experience of being number two .... he will cope with the BAR legacy fine and leverage the Honda / Gil link to his advantage. I think he is one of the favorities for the title if the Honda is the car we have seen in testing. Plus Honada have the Friday tester again - the value of which can't be under estimated in these days of reduced running to keep miles of the race cars. Don't be surprised to see Button get the first win but over a season I'll be backing Rubens.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 03:07 (Ref:1536444)   #5
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does that means that rubens has his best title chance since he enter f1??
Old 5 Mar 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1536499)   #6
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi might win the odd race (just like he did at Melbourne last year);Rubens will also be the same. I am sure Jenson would be better than him. I just fail to understand that Rubens with Ferrari was never able to win enough. Now, there would be lots of peopel who would say that Rubens was never allowed to win at Ferrari ahead of Schumacher;if that is the case, then Rubens ahould have been second in all the races that Schumacher won, which he has not. So I think he is just a good driver and not a great one.
This year, in my opinion, belongs to MS,KR and FA, and I am counting the hours to Bahrain
Old 5 Mar 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1536512)   #7
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugruah
No contest in my mind.... that is not to say he will win it but it is his best chance.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1536540)   #8
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fisi pulls enough for everyone here!
Old 5 Mar 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1536561)   #9
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button seems to have been faster in testing than Rubens, but of course that counts for little now. Fisi meanwhile has a better chance than last season to win the title, or at least challenge for it more, but I still think that Alonso will have too much for him. Alonso had a lot in reserve last season, as the last 2 races showed, and for me Fernando is the better driver.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1536651)   #10
ryan7727
Rookie

ryan7727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button's gonna have a tough job gettin the better of Rubens this year, over at Renault this is a make or break season for Fisi: if he can step it up and drive every race at his best (canada 98, belgium 01, brazil 03 etc) then he can do very well, on the other hand if things don't go well this year he will officially become the new David Coulthard: driving for a top team with a car capable of winning the championship but getting thrashed by his teammate
Old 5 Mar 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1536737)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me it’s a question of history really.

Farina won twice for Ferrari (52 and 53).

Looking at previous WDC’s we can see that whilst Fangio won it 5 times, it was in different teams/marques. (51, 54, 55, 56, 57).

Jack Brabham won two years running in the Cooper (59 and 60).

The first time we see the 2nd driver winning the following year is 1966 Brabham (in a Brabham) followed in 67 by Hulme in the same car.

Prost in 1985/86 was the first since Black Jack to do the double for Macaroon. He followed on from Lauda to make it a triple Macaroon WDC.

Senna did the same for Macaroon in 1990 and 1991.

Then we inevitably come to Mickey-the-Shoe.

He did it for his teams in 1994, 1995 (Benetton) and 2000 to 2004 (Ferrari).

1999 and 1998 were Mika years.

In all the above only “The Bear” (Denny Hulme) qualifies as the “second” driver to win the WDC following the lead driver.

Source http://www.motorsportsetc.com/champs/formula1.htm

So do I think Fisi has a chance? For me its between none and ………. None.

Rubens is a good driver but he’s been taken on to disclose the Ferrari secrets. He’s going to struggle against an established driver like Jensen even with De Ferran’s backing. So I will reserve my position until after Bahrain but it is iffy.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1536831)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not sure Fisi can stick it together all year, so I don't think he'll be champion. can see him winning a couple of races but no more.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1536858)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like Fizzi, but he wilted against Alonso last year, I don't see him as putting together a championshp, if the car is right he may sneak a win or maybe two.

Ruben's I'm not sure on, part of me feels that someone who was prepared to follow team orders as he has done at Ferrari, is lacking ambition. The other part of me says that unshackled from that agreement we may see something good from him. The key is will BAR/Honda now produce a car that delivers in that crucial mid sector of the race, an area that has hurt them up to now?
Old 6 Mar 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1537053)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
In all the above only “The Bear” (Denny Hulme) qualifies as the “second” driver to win the WDC following the lead driver.
Apologies. I omitted Hill/Villeneuve 1996/1997. However by then Hill had left the team.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1537243)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Along with Inigo Montoya, i am a the eternal optimist. On paper (and given the pre-season machinations within the Renault Team), Fisichella may have his best chance yet. Deep down, he knows that he didn't perform as expected. I believe that he is capable of a better showing against Alonso than he gave last season, and have lived through last season, will know that he has to dig deeper. I'm sure he is replaying those final laps at Suzuka in his mind and I'llbet he never makes that mistake again.

I think his chances are good. And I suspect that both Fisichella and Barrichello will be in the hunt for much of the season.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1537308)   #16
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of my Fisi's posts of late have had a sarcastic tone.
It's been an effective defense mechanism.
Now that the new season is upon us......well Fisi for the title in 2006!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1537561)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Not a chance , I dont think he has "IT" whatever "IT" is ?

but anyway I eagerly await for him to prove me wrong (but I doubt he will)
Old 6 Mar 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1537564)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
For me it’s a question of history really.

Farina won twice for Ferrari (52 and 53).
I presume you mean Ascari?

Anyway, as to the question, I think Fisi is ultimately capable of it, but I don't think he will realise that ultimate potential.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1537599)   #19
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I feel that Rubens is more likely to win the title, and for a whole variety of reasons. Firstly, I think that he is more talented than many give him credit for. He got closer to Schuey than any other F1 team-mate Michael has had and he scored some brilliant victories for Ferrari (2000 German GP, 2003 British GP). I don't think he was as hard-done-by at Ferrari as many believe - MS is that bit better - but I think the move to Honda will do him a world of good. If Button beats him regularly, my regard for JB will go up even more.

As for Fisi, I just can't seee him getting the better of Alonso over a full season. Whereas I feel it is possible Rubens could come out on top at Honda in '06, I can olny see Alonso doing so at Renault. Even if things are less comfortable for him this year, Alonso is just too good, and too canny, to get ousted by Fisichella on a consistant basis, especially as he now has the confidence of being world champion.

Finally, I just don't think Fisi is the complete package, and I doubt he ever will be. I've always quite like him, and Giancarlo did get the majority of Renault's bad luck last year, but overall he wasn't a match for Alonso in the races most of the time. And then there was Suzuka, which I think demonstrated that Fisi can be an excellent driver, but is not a brilliant racer.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...
Old 7 Mar 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1539405)   #20
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rubens has more chance of beating Jenson than Fizzi-cola does of beating Alonso. Alonso showed Fisi the door last year and it will be more of the same this year.

(In other words, I agree with the post above!)
Old 7 Mar 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1539767)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had always thought Fissi was one of the best racers in F1 till last year. Alsonso did have his way with him. If it was purely talent then no, I dont think Fissi stands a chance.

As for RB and JB, well I expect JB to be comfortably ahead of him. This team is pretty much built to get JB the title. Honda does not have a number one driver but I dont think RB will be too close this year. Next year if he is still there may be a different story.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1539772)   #22
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I have a lovely safe £1 bet on the bookies for Fisi... He's 12/1. CMON FISI

Selby
Old 7 Mar 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1539872)   #23
coldtyre
Rookie

France
Paris
coldtyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugruah
His chance(s) was when he drove the BEST car of the pack. He couldn't beat the only driver who was potentially in front of him. (don't want to start the discussion about wether he was given the same opportunities than the other or not...)

Now he has more than only one driver potentially in front of him... So it's not his best chance.

It is possible indeed, I would be very happy if he does it because he deseves to win, but this is definitely not his best chance ever.

Fisi?
Sorry, I like him a lot, but I just don't feel he has the "thing" you feel in every possible champion... Only my opinion anyway
Old 7 Mar 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1539900)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just in support of my good old friends EERO and Inigo Montoya... ahen...

GO FISI !!!!! Fisico WDC 2006 !!!!!

Ok, that's my 10 secs of optimism.