Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jun 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3832157)   #626
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
but RLM *is* Radio Hindy. It's his ball and he can pick it up and walk off with it any time he wants.
In my opinion he's still a million times better than the Eurosport clowns
Old 20 Jun 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3832158)   #627
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eurosport struggled without Martin Haven this year. And he's another who likes to take a rant a little too far at times.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3832200)   #628
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Eurosport struggled without Martin Haven this year. And he's another who likes to take a rant a little too far at times.
I think much of it was that both the WEC feed and Eurosport were fairly understaffed. Granted, I'm saying this as an American who hasn't seen much of Eurosport over the years, but they used to have the likes of Haven, Liz Halliday, Jeremy Shaw, etc all patrolling the circuit. I can even think of others like Simon Hill, etc. It seemed like Eurosport had about half their usual staff, and it showed. My favorite part was in the middle of the night with Mark Cole and Chris Parsons just waxing on about old times and getting us American twitter users involved since we were pretty much the only people up! In fact I think having a separate WEC commentary feed has greatly hurt Eurosport, as most of those voices would be likely giving Eurosport commentary. Perhaps the ACO could look at this in the future. F1TV just uses Sky commentary for example rather than having their own team.

So in that aspect, RLM is still the most comprehensive source of good analysis, etc. Even in the old Speed days, we used to get insomniac coverage from RLM in our overnight hours and it was the best stuff we got.

I guess my main critique is that RLM is like a movement that has ascended from the fringe (or at least just being a broadcast for those at the circuit and obsessed listeners) to the racing mainstream. Especially in a year when Alonso is the favorite to win, you're preaching to a different audience at times, one that may be repulsed rather than even just disappointed or slightly critical of some of the comments like most of us are here. I love RLM, love Hindy's (and the other crew members') passion for the sport, but let's just keep it professional and not conspiratorial.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3832791)   #629
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RLM taking a bit of a bashing on here this year. The problems are all in the booth, Trussers aside.

My 2p...
Trussers was, as always, his peerless self. Simply, there's nobody better than him at what he does, a Le Mans legend.

The pitlane team were outstanding, the best they've been in any year since the departure of Graham Tyler, in my opinion.

The absence of Jim Roller last year was a HUGE loss, and with Sam 'unavailable' (cough, cough) this year, the lack of strength in depth in the booth was exposed still further. You need the right mix of commentators and guests who have the ability to just bounce off each other, delivering a balanced, entertaining and informative broadcast with enough substance to engage both the casual, and more 'anorak', fans. There were too many egos at play this year, and the broadcast, at times, became irrelevant, disjointed, irritating, and turgid.

Bring back Jim and Sam (if they can be convinced to come back), and bring in some new blood to freshen up the booth.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3832844)   #630
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
RLM taking a bit of a bashing on here this year. The problems are all in the booth, Trussers aside.

My 2p...
Trussers was, as always, his peerless self. Simply, there's nobody better than him at what he does, a Le Mans legend.

The pitlane team were outstanding, the best they've been in any year since the departure of Graham Tyler, in my opinion.

The absence of Jim Roller last year was a HUGE loss, and with Sam 'unavailable' (cough, cough) this year, the lack of strength in depth in the booth was exposed still further. You need the right mix of commentators and guests who have the ability to just bounce off each other, delivering a balanced, entertaining and informative broadcast with enough substance to engage both the casual, and more 'anorak', fans. There were too many egos at play this year, and the broadcast, at times, became irrelevant, disjointed, irritating, and turgid.

Bring back Jim and Sam (if they can be convinced to come back), and bring in some new blood to freshen up the booth.
I would say the "guest" visits from Leena Gade was really good and the partly the new blood needed. However I agree fully and there was simply too much "chit-chat" in the booth, very often when there was something exiting going on, like a close battle or someone pitting. Sometimes it felt more like a talk show than race coverage.

And yes, Trussers was as always excellent and of great value when you are trackside.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3832945)   #631
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I would say the "guest" visits from Leena Gade was really good and the partly the new blood needed. However I agree fully and there was simply too much "chit-chat" in the booth, very often when there was something exiting going on, like a close battle or someone pitting. Sometimes it felt more like a talk show than race coverage.

And yes, Trussers was as always excellent and of great value when you are trackside.
I was just going to type that! I was working all weekend, every time I switched on RLM I couldn't work out what was happening in the race and I felt left out of the commentary because I don't follow the back story of MWM. I thought I had tuned in to a chat show that was running alongside the main race commentary, rather like "Bake Off Extra Slice".

It took me back to the first few years I went to LM, when the French commentary jabbered away in a language I couldn't follow and we all stood around the speakers at half past the hour to find out what was happening in English. This is exactly how RLM felt to me this year. Loads of chat I couldn't follow and waiting for the hourly update.

Or was the race so boring that there was nothing to talk about?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jun 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3832976)   #632
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
....Or was the race so boring that there was nothing to talk about?
A little from Column A and a little from Column B...

I quite like the 'chatty' content (RLM often refer to it as the 'Test Match Special' style, I don't follow cricket so I don't know how well RLM compares to TMS) but then I'm usually plugged into RLM all the time I'm trackside.

There's also plenty of information trackside from all the big screens and the Michelin 'hockey stick' scoreboard (plus smartphone apps etc.), so you're not relying on RLM to let you know what's going on (as you did perhaps 10-15yrs ago).
Old 25 Jun 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3833116)   #633
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Test Match Special is almost perfect. They combine commentary and ‘chatty’ style sublimely.

They never ever miss describing a ball of cricket. Every one is commentated on, over five days. RLM miss a lot and even break away for a weather update as a leader has a problem!

TMS commentators manage to discuss unimportant topics and important topics with appropriate emphasis. Important topics can have forthright views expressed, but none of the commentators think it is their job to be “contrary”. Even Boycott. However that gives their opinions more weight.

And sound levels are spot on. When they play The music or a trailer you aren’t deafened.

If RLM raised their game to TMS levels that would make me very happy.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3833554)   #634
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought long and hard about this one. The event, especially if you are there, would be the poorer for the lack of RLM but it is trying to cover many bases. Those at the track, those listening around the world and those replacing the commentary on various TV services. And therein may lie the apparent (at the track at least) lack of focus on occasion.
As such it will always, therefore, fall between the various stools and while we watch something live or on the big screen at the track (and as the French PA goes into overdrive), they sometimes miss the immediacy of the moment.
Missed Sam Collins this year but Leena and Gemma were both excellent. One or two less "extraordinaries" would not go amiss, but then I always preferred Edwards / Watson on F1 to Walker / whoever, so that's personal preference ...
Understand no ads policy, but we all know what the "features" are about.
Above all, it and many, many other events are free ! The wider work with IMSA alongside the free streaming re-awakened my interest in racing across the pond (along with the end of GrandAm) to the extent that we have done the last two Rolex's and are heading the Sebring next year.
So, occasionally frustrating - yes. Better without - absolutely not !
Old 3 Jul 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3834404)   #635
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I have not been on TT for a while... strange to see this post and hear these comments

Of course.... what those of you that think it could be done better should do, is invest in all that equipment, sort out all the paraphernalia that goes with it including "guests" and get down there next year and do it yourself!.. show em how its done!

People will think I'm bias, I may be, but I do have a great deal of understanding in respect of what it takes to put a piece of work together like the continuous broadcast of the Le Mans 24 hour, and to keep it fresh.... it is always going to be a challenge.... the good ole adage "You can please some of the people all of the time...and all of the people ....etc etc"

In my honest opinion Lena did not make good radio, neither did the other girl, in truth, their radio presence was lacking.... and it showed... loads of "er's and ...ohhh...er...yes...er" and I felt sometimes that (particularly with Gemma) that she was actually saying things for sayings sake, thats not good radio....and anyone who works or has worked in that industry will tell you that. However, part of the reason for the success of RLM is the very fact that at times, it sounds like a few blokes (oh hold on... friends or Im sexist and not PC) down the pub watching something they like and talking about it, sometimes the audio signal was naff and there were "dead air" spots all over the place, (this is not so much the case now btw) but that was the appeal of it?
Lena wasn't asked on for her "radio personality", Lena was asked because of her past, her knowledge, her view on the race, not for her radio presence. Gemma was the same.

I know one thing, it is not cheap to put that set up down there and sponsors (which RLM have like all others) want more "entertainment" and "slick" for their buck and in a bid to make things more interesting and better each year, RLM look to add to the showcase of their talents which actually shares their name ... a far cry from just two commentators with a mike looking at the leader board above the pits... its come a long way and I think they are not bad at it

I congratulate them on what I believe is still the best coverage of the greatest motor race in the world, for those who cant be there... it makes you feel like you are.... for those who are there... its in your language and relevant and is a must have in your ear...and although there once was a time.... could you imagine it.... with them?
Old 3 Jul 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3834461)   #636
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Well, I have not been on TT for a while... strange to see this post and hear these comments

Of course.... what those of you that think it could be done better should do, is invest in all that equipment, sort out all the paraphernalia that goes with it including "guests" and get down there next year and do it yourself!.. show em how its done!
Can't say I agree. I've never agreed with this philosophy when it comes to any product or service. If my doctor is terrible then the answer is not for me to become a doctor. If my McDonalds is cold, the answer isn't for me to hop over the counter and cook it.

These are obviously extreme examples and in no way, I am implying RLM are terrible - they're the best. However, even the best (in any line of work) is not perfect and I do think constructive criticism is a good thing. I don't think anyone here has said anything harsh about RLM, or non-constructive. I absolutely love them, but that doesn't make them perfect.

I take the same philosophy at my work. When I roll out a new product, I am generally pretty happy with it and so are my clients (usually...), but I always want constructive feedback. I hate hearing "It's all awesome" because there has to be something that can be better. I even hand out questionnaires asking for improvements.

I think it's a good thing that people here are willing to give this feedback to RLM, because it shows they do like it but care. When it comes to poor quality setups (like the WEC stream was last year), nobody even bothers - it's so bad that there's no point. There is obviously the counter argument that this is a free service to fans - which it is. But it isn't a free service to series organisers, so I do think feedback (as long as it is constructive and not complaints) is vital to then improving that service to series. The exception there is MWM - it's a completely free podcast that isn't paid for by anyone, so frankly it doesn't matter.

I thought Leena and Gemma were brilliant. Sure they had to be asked a question so they could give a good answer, rather than them commentate, but that's what they're there for. I love when we get proper engineers who are not tied to a brand telling us something properly technical.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3834468)   #637
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What he said. Twenty years ago or whatever the "if you can do it better do it, if not shut up" argument was OK but not now.

I love RLM, many times I've got up on the Sunday morning and looked out of the window expecting to see prototypes past the door, only to realise I'm in Wiltshire not La Sarthe. This year it didn't happen.

Constructive criticism of a well loved institution is there to make it better, not slag it off.

Old 3 Jul 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3834477)   #638
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What he said. Twenty years ago or whatever the "if you can do it better do it, if not shut up" argument was OK but not now.

I love RLM, many times I've got up on the Sunday morning and looked out of the window expecting to see prototypes past the door, only to realise I'm in Wiltshire not La Sarthe. This year it didn't happen.

Constructive criticism of a well loved institution is there to make it better, not slag it off.

Well there are almost 11 months for you to plan for next year, RLM are essential when you are at the circuit OK they are not perfect but they are essential
Old 3 Jul 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3834478)   #639
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Can't say I agree. I've never agreed with this philosophy when it comes to any product or service. If my doctor is terrible then the answer is not for me to become a doctor. If my McDonalds is cold, the answer isn't for me to hop over the counter and cook it.
Agreed but the solutions to McDonald's is NOT McDonald's.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3834479)   #640
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Then make it constructive... don't slag it off (not say you slagged it off as such but some did )

If you and indeed the person before you read all of my post you will see that I also gave "constructive" criticism. I did not like some aspects of the broadcast, but I see it from a broadcast perspective, not as a Motorsport fan and I gave my take as to why I thought it was done.

And I stick by what I said, if people think they can do better then do it.... its what hindy did in 1989 I think or when ever it was ha ha and its what makes this country great... competition !
Old 3 Jul 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3834486)   #641
midgetman
Veteran

OK we agree to disagree but "terrorist" or "freedom fighter"? "Slagging off"" or "expressing different opinions to the reader"?

Last edited by midgetman; 3 Jul 2018 at 22:28. Reason: I rambled on too much
Old 4 Jul 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3834532)   #642
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Agreed but the solutions to McDonald's is NOT McDonald's.
I have a guilty pleasure of a McDonalds after the race finishes at the one by Mulsanne. It's a tradition. It's terrible, but I love it.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3834537)   #643
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More mixed feelings on this. When I was there last year, the little RLM earpiece was invaluable and the associated voices will always be synonymous with my favourite race. At home I tend to drop in and out of their commentary, usually preferring them during the night.

MWM is something I listen to in phases. I sometimes feel like their tagline should be changed to...

"If it's got an engine, and they keep score, and we want to complain about it, it's on Midweek Motorsport"

Their depth of coverage has given me an insight into many different walks of the sport that I'd have never been able to get elsewhere, but sometimes it can decend into a total Victor Meldrew convention.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3834624)   #644
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still enjoy the coverage from RLM. They have become slightly more commercial in the past few years, but of course have to do this to survive.
There's always the hourly update on the half hour, which we all know about.

I most missed my own App which I put together for a few years with easy to read timing info but the timing stream has been moved about so much and fiddled with that it has become harder and harder to retrieve the information. The official one doesn't work so well for me as it doesn't allow me to scan the information easily and you have to pan around the leaderboard to see who's where and how far apart they are.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3834701)   #645
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been listening to RLM at Le Mans - since it started. I cannot imagine being at Le Mans without it. It helps that one of the commentators (one who rarely attracts any criticism at all) I'm able to call a friend of mine. I haven't actually seen any real 'slagging off' of RLM in here. It's also worthy of mention that Tenthers have been (largely) singing the praises of RLM on the subforum for a long time and in this thread for the 5 years since I started it. Every year I download the podcasts from the entire race (and practice and qually) and listen to it in the car - for months. I'm that sad. But RLM has changed. Times have caused it to change and I don't criticise that, however an 'influence' has been apparent in the RLM for a few years now. The anti-F1 stance has been apparent for quite a while (and I've even shared it from time to time) but the constant Alonso 'witticisms' this year became very boring very quickly. RLM caters for an audience and in my opinion those who run the service can reasonably be expected to listen to that audience from time to time. I don't expect John or Eve to come in here and read this thread (although he is a member here but hasn't visited since 2013) and I've no doubt that most of the input from 'fans' is derived from the FB groups where some of the 'influence' I've referred to gets latched onto in a manner which isn't evident here. There is no question of members here thinking they could do it better - or wanting to. But we are perfectly entitled to express our opinions of the service that is provided (and for which we are generally very grateful). I know full well you're a loyal fan Claire (and I was pleased to see that you're going to get to the Classic) but I think you also know that intentions here are intended to be constructive rather than unwarranted criticism.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3834713)   #646
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
There's a bit in an Iain Banks novel (Dead Air?) - and I'm going to paraphrase (probably badly) - where the lead protagonist expresses that saying something challenging isn't always an invitation to squabble, it's more like heartfelt advice to a friend who you just want the best for; and I think this is where a lot of us are with RLM.

It's changed, and I'll stand up and say that about 10 years ago I'd default to having a full record of the full coverage and listen to it compulsively, and I don't do that any more. A lot of it is about how racing's changed and how I've changed, but dispassionately they've changed too.

And that's as it should be.

Sort of.

The world's changed, how people consume content has changed, and people's expectations have changed. RLM is no longer the primary source of information, it's no longer continuous breathless TV-on-the-radio commentary with run downs of precisely who's where and what the gaps are. In 2008 I remember wandering to my radio perched on top of my car roof in Tertre Rouge to hear why there was a safety car at night, now (subject to bandwidth) it's a twitter feed from somewhere else that tells me that.

So what's it there for? It's probably Test Match Special - a combination of commentary when it's exciting, periodic run downs of runners and retirements, just to be clear, and a lot of engaging conversation the rest of the time, and viewed this way they're there.

Except they're not quite.

And this is where issues like the chip on shoulder about Alonso and F1, the paid for content not quite sitting right (and I don't have an answer to this, and no, I don't want ad breaks), and I'm hunting for a third niggle and not quite getting there - you get the picture.

But here's the crux: JH in the main is a superb radio commentator, his sense of infectious enthusiasm is what makes you wake up and think sportscars are going past outside (especially when they are actually doing so); and a level of somewhat enthusiastic amateur missing things across the entire team is fine, because they're doing so passionately makes it accessible.

So tweak it. If you're RLM Have the right team on at the right time. Have the right level of conversational pieces at the right time. Be proud of what you're reporting on and keep comments on other approaches to a humorous minimum. But above all realise you're not far off and as you iterate think about really what you're trying to do and know you're doing so to an audience who is critical because really they think a lot of you.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3834752)   #647
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still want them to go back to playing records during the daytime
Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3834762)   #648
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
It's changed...
Yes it has, but I'm not convinced those changes have been either measured, or deliberate. Fundamentally, the format hasn't really changed, rather the personnel, and as certain members of the team have moved on, or been moved on, those who have replaced them have lacked the fluency and warmth of delivery of those who preceded them.

I have no axe to grind with RLM, it's like an old friend you reacquaint yourself with each year, and an integral part of the Le Mans experience. There's something reassuring about knowing they're there when you need them. This year though, for a variety of reasons (the outstanding pitlane team and Trussers aside), I found the broadcast far less engaging, and as the race wore on, I became increasingly reluctant to listen to 'my old friend'.

It's hard to explain, but in vintage RLM years, I have felt like I, together with the tens of thousands of other listeners, are on a journey with them, it's exciting, totally comfortable, addictively infectious, and you can't stop listening because you are hooked and have to share every moment with them, because if you don't, you feel you might miss out on something. This year, no...
Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3834776)   #649
midgetman
Veteran

See, what I miss most of all is the annual Hugh Chamberlain "why I didn't make it through the night" interview, always an entertaining staple of early Sunday morning.

Seems we're forming a consensus. We love RLM, can't imagine LM weekend either at the track or at home without it, but thought this year's edition a bit weaker than the normal high standard.

PS I didn't actually mind the advert breaks, we all know it has to be paid for somehow

Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3834782)   #650
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I still want them to go back to playing records during the daytime
Yeah, me too! With their far too small song collection, which made them play some songs very often during the week.
Heard 'Have a nice day' by the Stereophonics on the radio today and it instantly took me back to a grassy field in France