Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 31 May 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3255821)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has formula ford lost it's buzz ?

the last year or two the once big buzz about formula ford of all types appears to have died down, this forum's post count and content is a key factor, their appears to be little discussion on specific races or great new drivers coming up, their used to be great news and review services on all levels/classes of formula ford racing, this all appears to have died down, has the buzz been lost at the moment ?
Old 31 May 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3255831)   #2
grumpyf14d
Rookie

United States
London
grumpyf14d should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huh, Formula Ford...thought that series went away a few years ago.

Poor business model = poor results.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:16 (Ref:3255843)   #3
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
even at club level though it all seems to have gone quiet.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3255877)   #4
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
even at club level though it all seems to have gone quiet.
The growth in use of facebook as a forum for discussion of FF1600 matters is probably more the reason.
Old 31 May 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3255980)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFmygale View Post
The growth in use of facebook as a forum for discussion of FF1600 matters is probably more the reason.
I quite agree, whilst it's gone quiet on here there's a lot of banter on Facebook regarding FF1600. There's virtually never a day goes by without James Beckett badgering people to enter races.

The NW Championship still remains fairly strong. 32 cars out at Oulton last weekend split between 2 races (down a little on the earlier Oulton meeting). OK the Post 89 only had 10 cars but it was a cracking dice for the lead and our own Redracer won the pre 90's.

Classic FF1600 seems to be doing ok with good grids. A few of the old racers are coming out to play in that which looks interesting.

As has always been the case, there's various people (Diz, PRSRH01, James Beckett etc.) working away in the background trying to get as many cars out as they can. They just don't seem to do it here so often anymore.

One thing I have noticed. The standard of car preparation is very high these days
Old 31 May 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3256036)   #6
Shoestring
Rookie

Shoestring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Oulton it is Class 'B' ('90-95)that for some reason seems to have the problem. At the last meeting there were only two entries, so the post '89 race was very poorly supported.
Quite why this is so I have no idea, but this class needs some incentive to enter or it will go completely.
I don't believe it is the shortage of cars out there because there must be dozens of eligible cars languishing in garages.
How about a cut price entry fee for Class 'B' cars?
Old 31 May 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3256093)   #7
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
How about a cut price entry fee for Class 'B' cars?
You definitely couldn't do that. It penalises all the people who do turn up. I have a Class A car. Why should I have to pay more than someone with a (cheaper) Class B car in order to race on the same track, at the same time, across the same number of laps? If you offer a lower price, you have to offer it to all in the interest of fairness.

In response to the OP. Formula Ford at a national level seems to be slowly dying a bit of a death thanks to the introduction of EcoBoost and then EcoBoost 200. However, Kent (1600) Formula Ford seems in pretty rude health.

Grids have dropped slightly over the last few year. Castle Combe used to be the best supported, with in excess of 32 cars on the grid. Last year this dropped to an average of c.26 cars and this year it seems to be c.22.

Post-89 at Oulton seems to be stuck around the 10-12 car mark, unless its a round of the BRSCC National, in which case entries seem to be around 17. Anglesey often sees a similar number of Post-89 entries (although Pre-90 entries at the Welsh venue often appear to take a hit). With regards to Pre-90, Oulton appear to have lost a few entries over the past few years, following the same numerical trend as Castle Combe.

The Champion of Brands has regularly got between 19-26 entries, depending on the circuit layout (Indy or GP) and the time of year. James has managed to get a 24 car entry (minus myself, because of my broken collarbone) for the opening round, making the largest single grid of FF1600 cars this season (I believe).

Classics is having somewhat of a revival this year, with entries in the high-teens, whilst Historics regularly turns out close to 30 entries at most rounds, with bumper grids when the series visits the Silverstone GP track.

Grids around the country appear to have dropped over the last four years as the recession winds its way on (let's face it, we're not out the woods yet). There is a lot of activity regarding FF1600 on Facebook, as has been said, whilst there are few diehard enthusiasts (JEB and Diz) behind the scenes working on getting cars on grids.

Sorry for the essay guys. I hope you're all looking forward to another great year of FF1600 action.
Old 31 May 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3256183)   #8
NoelR
Rookie

NoelR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first round of the Northern Ireland & All Ireland championship are Kirkistown attracted 31 cars and for the first time in a number of years a qualification race was required. The 2nd Kirkistown race at the weekend was a Northern Ireland round and had a 21 car entry.
FF1600 in Northern & Southern Ireland would appear to be in very good health. In my opinion FF1600 continues to offer the best single seater club racing and will never die.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3256466)   #9
daktari doc
Rookie

United Kingdom
devon
daktari doc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the masters meeting at brands last and they had a trial race for formula fords, have to say it went down very well with the spectators and fellow competitors in other races, a joy to watch and as has been said earlier, a couple of the cars there were in period costume and looked as well turned out as the F1's on the following day!
Talking to some of the guys, they were then on the way up to Mallory for a race on the Monday.
I'd say that the classic FF scene was in good hands with a lot of high spirited guys looking to carry the experience into a revived dimension.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3256467)   #10
Shoestring
Rookie

Ok then if you don't like incentivising Class 'B' '90-'95 cars to get more out. Can I ask what you propose to get more 'B' cars out on track at Oulton, because sure as eggs is eggs if something isn't done it will result in all classes being amalgamated into one race? Maybe that is the answer?...and then if the amalgmated numbers are higher than the grid can take, have 2 qualifying races and a final?
As another alternative you could change the class/race date break around so that say Class 'C' cars are in the same race as Class A and B cars. Even up the race sizes as it were.
Merely suggestions....
Old 3 Jun 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3257113)   #11
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post

....Classics is having somewhat of a revival this year, with entries in the high-teens, whilst Historics regularly turns out close to 30 entries at most rounds, with bumper grids when the series visits the Silverstone GP track.
Thanks for the mention Josh - but I am pleased to say that Classic FF1600 has actually done a bit better than that even:

Donington 6/4/13 27 qualifiers
Brands Hatch 20/4/13 22 qualifiers
Snetterton 200 11/5/13 16 qualifiers
Mallory Park 27/5/13 22 qualifiers

Still room for more !!
Old 5 Jun 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3258033)   #12
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA73 View Post
Thanks for the mention Josh - but I am pleased to say that Classic FF1600 has actually done a bit better than that even:

Donington 6/4/13 27 qualifiers
Brands Hatch 20/4/13 22 qualifiers
Snetterton 200 11/5/13 16 qualifiers
Mallory Park 27/5/13 22 qualifiers

Still room for more !!
Sorry for under-selling you, Andrew!
Old 7 Jun 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3258929)   #13
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To return to the fray after a couple of years is seriously expensive even if you have a car ready to go.
Medical.. license.. club membership.. race suit.. helmet.. seat belts.. tyres.. and then £300 + entry and all the expense of the race day...
...just so that you can drone around on your own 'cos you couldn't get near the pace without testing and you've only had one practice for two races!
Old 10 Jun 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3260358)   #14
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have just seen this post (thanks to Driftwood for pointing it out to me).
I will be honest but I don't use Ten-Tenths much now as I have my own and a James Beckett Motorsport Facebook page which both have (almost daily) Formula Ford 1600 updates about the series, races, events I am personally involved with.
I believe Formula Ford 1600 still offers the cheapest form of single-seater racing available and does seem to be in good health throughout this country, Ireland and mainland Europe. I have personally spent countless hours promoting and 'bigging up' the category for you all to enjoy.
Ian 'Diz' Smith continues to wave the flag for the category as does Peter Hackett and through the BRSCC and the Classic FF1600 Championship many racers are able to enjoy good chances to race. The HSCC administer a strong Historic series as well, and the 500MRCI make sure Northern Ireland and Irish racers are well catered for!
From my own point of view, the Champion of Brands is growing year on year and for 2013 the four round series boasts not one but three races on the iconic Brands Hatch Grand Prix loop...this is a major boost for FF1600 and I urge people to support these races. Also the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone is set for its thirteenth running this year and looks like being another great year for the world's most important Formula Ford event. Look out for updates on the CoB and WHT on my own Facebook pages - and on here from time-to-time. FF1600 still rules in my mind and I will continue to champion its cause!! Email me if you want to talk about anything FF1600 related: BeckettJE@aol.com
Old 12 Jun 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3261751)   #15
Shoestring
Rookie

Hi James,
Some of us don't use such things as Facebook and have no intention of using it. So is it possible to repeat anything important on here?