Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3892683)   #2751
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
1050 tons of different hazardous products many being acids. An incorrect way to smoke fish… Gordon what about a scuba in France?
When we dived it there was still oils floating about, however I would think it's all dispersed after all this time.
As I was only using a single tank and was diving deeper inside I only had about 10 mins to look about before surfacing
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Mar 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3892686)   #2752
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
With so much acid around may be next generation won't need any tank to breath! C'est l'évolution de l'espèce!!! This world is really turning crazy.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3892689)   #2753
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That latest cargo boat that sank with the Porkers was carrying hazardous stuff in some containers, but as they all burned out, the hazard was deemed minimal!

I heard this morning that the rail regulator is to adjust the definition of ‘on time’. Apparently at the moment trains can be 5-10 mins late but still be defined as on time! That is bizarre, in my book. When the change comes in, ‘on time’ will be reduced to a minute or two late. Still late! (BTW apologies for no link to back this up, but haven’t found anything yet.)

I’m wondering if it was coincidence that this morning, for the first time in at least 5 months, my train was on time...... More likely the driver ignored the ‘speed restrictions’ normally blamed!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3892691)   #2754
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hard to believe that all the 1050 tons of hazardous products already burnt letting only some smoke in the sky. I won't go fishing in this area during next vacations… even if the idea of a free 911 is rather tempting!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3892701)   #2755
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That latest cargo boat that sank with the Porkers was carrying hazardous stuff in some containers, but as they all burned out, the hazard was deemed minimal!

I heard this morning that the rail regulator is to adjust the definition of ‘on time’. Apparently at the moment trains can be 5-10 mins late but still be defined as on time! That is bizarre, in my book. When the change comes in, ‘on time’ will be reduced to a minute or two late. Still late! (BTW apologies for no link to back this up, but haven’t found anything yet.)

I’m wondering if it was coincidence that this morning, for the first time in at least 5 months, my train was on time...... More likely the driver ignored the ‘speed restrictions’ normally blamed!

Slightly more on this is that the current system only becomes an official lateness statistic if the train service reaches it's final destination late, and ignores all stops in between the start of it's journey and it's end. This meant that some train operators were able to beat the system by cancelling intermediary stops so that the trains could make up lost time, and hopefully arrive at it's destination within the time allowed to avoid a potential penalty and having to make refunds to passengers. Tough luck on any passenger that were unable to get on the train as it whizzed through the station where it was meant to stop, or those poor passengers who ended up miles away from where they wanted to go!

And a link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47664969

This new way will stop at least one way to fiddle the system by making it punishable if it is late at every published stop en-route. However, I think that what the train operators will probably do is to cancel more journeys, as the penalties are less onerous.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3892708)   #2756
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the explanation and link Mike!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3892719)   #2757
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not certain I've mentioned this before but back in January my old paper driving licence had its final wash and spin dry. Time to replace it. So I sat at the lappy and discovered that I could replace it on line. I din't even have to sign anything!

What you can do is agree to the DVLA contacting the Passport office and then dragging your fisog and signature off the passport details they hold. It was replaced in a few days for around a tenner in your English pounds.

I now have a fully machine washable licence.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3892722)   #2758
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Something I had to to do recently also linked to the passport office record, and by agreeing to them obtaining the data that way I avoided any paper application. Senility has got in the way of remembering what it was......
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3892724)   #2759
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Effectively the passport has become our ID card.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3892728)   #2760
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah it's been like that for ages. Your digital photograph is available for anything governmental if you authorise it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3892743)   #2761
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yeah it's been like that for ages. Your digital photograph is available for anything governmental if you authorise it.

Which is why the government of the time dropped the need for an ID card when it was last mooted.

With so may interconnected functions, both government and private, requiring photo ID (think money laundering protection stuff with the banks, bus pass for those of a certain age, student cards, etc.) and with so many other operations having permissions to access the government database (Private parking tickets for example) in conjunction with the more advanced ANPR, CCTV and facial recognition systems, who needs an ID card?
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3892760)   #2762
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Light bulb moment! It was an on line bank card application.....

Moving on, for those not insured with H*g*rty, an interesting story from their latest newsletter....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...riday_March_22
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3892761)   #2763
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Light bulb moment! It was an on line bank card application.....

Moving on, for those not insured with H*g*rty, an interesting story from their latest newsletter....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...riday_March_22
A very interesting article Mike, thanks. I was lucky enough to be shown around the McLaren factory where the F1 was being built using that special BMW engine. The guy showing us around gleefully took us to where the engines were stood prior to fitment saying "this is my favourite bit on the engine" pointing to the plaque on the VANOS unit which bore the legend 'built under license from (Rolls Royce logo)! "Good old British engineering!"
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3892763)   #2764
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A very interesting article Mike, thanks. I was lucky enough to be shown around the McLaren factory where the F1 was being built using that special BMW engine. The guy showing us around gleefully took us to where the engines were stood prior to fitment saying "this is my favourite bit on the engine" pointing to the plaque on the VANOS unit which bore the legend 'built under license from (Rolls Royce logo)! "Good old British engineering!"
Nice! I like the comment of why the M8 wasn’t put into production- ‘It was just too damn fast for the world’....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3892767)   #2765
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder why the car is photographed with three completely different wheel sets in three photos?
Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3892771)   #2766
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I wonder why the car is photographed with three completely different wheel sets in three photos?
My guess is they’ve used archive pics that were taken at different times in the car’s history......
Old 22 Mar 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3892779)   #2767
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/clas...ex-mod-sports/

Built and Raced by none other than 'Delta'

Pete Richards
Old 22 Mar 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3892782)   #2768
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post

Pete Richards
Well spotted, Pete!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3892822)   #2769
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post

Pete Richards
I have many many fond memories and stories about this car . Tears as well .Would love to be reunited with the old girl . Modsports back in the 70’s was huge and we were way out of our depth with the GT6. I have probably told you before we had a Class P3 at Brands in 1976. Got a mention in Autosport and sold the car on the back of this and put the money towards my first single seater . Where did those 43 years go . 🙄. Happy days .
Old 22 Mar 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3892829)   #2770
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Which is why the government of the time dropped the need for an ID card when it was last mooted.

With so may interconnected functions, both government and private, requiring photo ID (think money laundering protection stuff with the banks, bus pass for those of a certain age, student cards, etc.) and with so many other operations having permissions to access the government database (Private parking tickets for example) in conjunction with the more advanced ANPR, CCTV and facial recognition systems, who needs an ID card?

Just got a reminder for my Bus Pass, but I've got to get a new photo for that.....can't use my passport / driving licence one
Old 22 Mar 2019, 22:43 (Ref:3892837)   #2771
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't the bus pass local government and the passport national?

Old 22 Mar 2019, 22:56 (Ref:3892841)   #2772
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just got a reminder for my Bus Pass, but I've got to get a new photo for that.....can't use my passport / driving licence one
Just had mine re done.My bro had an issue the other day which sounded quite stupid.The details of which are far to complicated for me 😁.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3892884)   #2773
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
"Ex-Delta" could give a kick if you want to sell a race car:
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...-formula-1-car
Old 23 Mar 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3892962)   #2774
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Caught some of the live stream from VLN at the ‘Ring, and delighted to see the famous Opel Manta still racing! Currently 4th in class as well.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3892965)   #2775
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes doing well. Always loved those cars. Apparently the foxtail has its own twitter feed.

Currently also enjoying the views of the Vioer GT3R.