Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jun 2001, 05:08 (Ref:103718)   #1
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Almost theft

What a wonderful day it was. Up until all hours partying away at the Afterburner party after the GMC400 in Canberra. Went back to the car, drove to the hotel after dropping a friend off. Woke up the next morning, checked out of the hotel and then looked at the car. Where a nice, shiny door lock should have been, there was a gaping hole! It seems while I was enjoying myself, someone attempted to break into my car. Now I'm not sure how/why but they didn't really succeed. They did make a mess of the door and dented the rear passenger door as well in their attempt. Luckily nothing was stolen, but then the best they would have gotten was $3.20 in change, a few CDs and a pair of sunglasses.

These things happen it seems...but did it have to ruin a good holiday?
Old 11 Jun 2001, 22:41 (Ref:104113)   #2
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If theres cds in there it normally means theres a cd player in there,even if theres no cd player they might of seen the cds and presumed there was a player inside,might be worth investing in a car alarm or some similar product to deter thieves.(even if its a flashing l.e.d that has no purpose.) The same sort of thing happened to me not so long ago,250 pounds worth of sound system stolen out of an mg metro turbo,i was so gutted,got a 20 pound car alarm on it now and no ones been near since (good).but if they get that far,stop them before they get any further.

Hope the holiday was a good 1 apart from that.
Steve
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:58 (Ref:104336)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The CDs were out of sight, I'd never leave them in sight. There is an obvious CD player though. It has an alarm already (got that at the same time as the car).

My old car used to have a flashing yellow light which came on whenever the key was taken out of the ignition. No one ever even tried to break into that one.

Yep, the holiday was excellent apart from that, and I'm glad it was basically the very last part of the holiday.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 11:55 (Ref:104370)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
BA$TARDS - A good reason to bring back capital punishment.

2 Golden rules - never mess with a mans women and never mess with a mans Car.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 19:52 (Ref:104491)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My in-car CD player has a detachable front cover, when it's removed it reveals a flashing red light. This makes it look like I have an alarm on my car, which I haven't.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 21:02 (Ref:104511)   #6
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wot cars have u all got?

and wot type of stereo if u know what type it is
i got a jvc kd7r 4x90w, minted lil cd-player.mine also has a detatchable front cover.but if they get in to my motor i will b gutted,i got an amp 2 boom boxes and 2 subwoofers(expensive sh!t)
Old 13 Jun 2001, 20:27 (Ref:104887)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Ford Fiesta 1.25, 97 model. CD-player is a Panasonic DFX 444 (I remembered it was a Panasonic, but had to go back out to the car to check the details ).
Old 15 Jun 2001, 02:30 (Ref:105370)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a detachable face Pioneer DEH P3150 with CD player. It give's you a sense of safety but the detachable face has it's downside. It's very easy to leave it somewhere or drop it or something and lose it and you ALWAYS have to detach it because if a thief sees a car with the radio's face on he will go for it regardless of the alarm or whatever security system you have. I mean, all they need is to break the window, push eject and in just a couple of seconds he has a face that has a lot of demand on the black market and therefore can get a considerable amount of money for it.

I recall this guy that always detached it but he forgot to do it just once and when he returned he saw the nasty site of the car with a broken window, no stereo face and the alarm going off in what seemed like a futile effort to keep the car safe from harm.

BTW, this reminds me of a funny story. I recall that a friend had a Renault 21 with one of those old stereos that came before the detachable face ones and that needed for you to remove the whole stereo and carry it around like a lunchbox. Once he forgot to take it off and when he came back he found his car with a broken window. But what was surprising was that he found the stareo on the passanger's seat and the only thing missing was the dashboard clock (that most Renaults have). But it was like if the tief took of the radio, looked at it and said "I won't get nothing for this piece of *****" and left it there. He never again bothered to take the radio with him.