Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jan 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2822859)   #16
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus - tell AB greeting from Ralf from Germany (I am looking forward to picking up my Lotus soon from him). Saw your (ex) Brabham two weeks ago there in bits.

Cheers and enjoy !
Ralf
Old 31 Jan 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2823187)   #17
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Rotary7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta, Marcus has beaten me to it with feedback of the Zwartkops weekend. In our wettish 2nd race I only managed 2 spins, luckily out of most peoples view. I can claim to have led both races at some point, the first after an unfortunately too obvious jumped start (30sec penalty) and the second after not seeing a very briefly displayed safety car sign (it's amazingly clearly visible on my in-car footage) and jumping 2 places in one corner!!! Let's just say I was still getting used to driving a FFord.
Otherwise a very enjoyable weekend with nothing irrepairably damaged.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2823217)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done Peter. This all sounds like normal FFord driving.Are you now back at Cape town.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2823327)   #19
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
Marcus - tell AB greeting from Ralf from Germany (I am looking forward to picking up my Lotus soon from him). Saw your (ex) Brabham two weeks ago there in bits.

Cheers and enjoy !
Ralf
I will tell AB. Yes my Brabham now sold to Italy to make way for the new project.
I am glad Peter could see the SC sign on his camera - I thought I was imagining things. I had an enormous lead on the first lap then slowed right down when I saw the sign. Peter came steaming past so I was starting to get very upset, like I usually do, but at the next marshall post there was just a green flashing light! As a result everybody caught me up and I got confused and spun, mutter mutter...

The good news in SA is that Howard Robinson has bought the fabulous Alfa Special which Peter de Klerk drove in the SA GP in ??? It will be restored by the same shop who restored his Titan FF so it will be magnificent. Up to now it has always performed like a four wheel version of the Torrey Canyon.

Marcus
Old 1 Feb 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2823685)   #20
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Iain, Yes I'm back in CT (at work believe it or not - these bloody month-ends never seem to stop!) and have 2 fresh cars for this weekend. The Cooper certainly won't be troubling the front-runners, but I hope the Seven will. Last year I cooked it's motor by using an extra 1500 revs which allowed for a lower gear and better drive out of a couple of corners. Won't be repeating that trick, so will have to drive better instead!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2827090)   #21
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Killarney rounds of the Springbok Series went off well I thought. Perfect weather, not too hot or windy. Grids were a bit on the small size, but there was good racing going on. The 2-day format means you're never rushed off your feet.
Of my own 2 cars, the Cooper burnt out it's clutch and lost drive in the first race. In the second the clutch gripped so well that the drive chain snapped a lap from the end (crappy quality 1/2 link that I have to use) . The Seven raced in a category called Post '74 Sports & GT, which catered for dodgy cars like mine with non period engines etc., as well as genuine stuff like Sports 2000, Porsche 956 and the like. Had 2 fantastic races, kept busy all the time, really had to concentrate on not making mistakes. Got a 4th and a 2nd for 3rd overall.
Iain, you would have enjoyed it. Now get onto Jim and tell him the Galaxie HAS to come here next year, there are more and more Yankee barges than ever before.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2827095)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Peter ,I am thinking you should change your avatar name to "tenacious 7".Or just sell the 500. . I will start working on Jim.Keep in touch and very best to all my freinds in ZA.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2828968)   #23
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just back this morning from a wonderful holiday in South Africa. Thoroughly enjoyed the laid back approach at Killarney on the Sunday (Vernon Hope, a local photographer, was helpful in suggesting where to shoot from in the afternoon; thanks).
No programmes seemed to be available (is that usual ?) so I'll need to find some results to find out who was who and what they were driving (apart from the obvious).
Old 27 Nov 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3943140)   #24
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/7L9y0o

Inspired by the Kyalami 9 Hours last weekend, I went back to these photos from the 2011 Springbok Series at Killarney. Presented for nostalgia rather than photographic quality (I'd yet to slow down the shutter speed), these are photos from Sunday.

There's a few familiar looking cars and drivers ... provenance of some of the local entries unknown - Martini Porsche 917, for example.

I'd forgotten the wall of containers, preferring Table Mountain as a backdrop.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3943146)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I am back down there in 2020. Taking my Lotus 22 and I am not working so happy days.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3943153)   #26
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Demon Tweeks Chevvy the same Chevrolet Malibu driven by John Young in HRSR racing in 1989 then later in the ICS series by Alan Minshaw? Or is it a replica?
Old 27 Nov 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3943159)   #27
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Inspired by the Kyalami 9 Hours last weekend, I went back to these photos from the 2011 Springbok Series at Killarney. Presented for nostalgia rather than photographic quality (I'd yet to slow down the shutter speed), these are photos from Sunday.

There's a few familiar looking cars and drivers ... provenance of some of the local entries unknown - Martini Porsche 917, for example.

I'd forgotten the wall of containers, preferring Table Mountain as a backdrop.
Lovely variety of cars, thanks David! What’s with container wall- sound barrier?
Old 27 Nov 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3943228)   #28
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Containers ? No idea - I'd forgotten they were even there until I looked back at the photos (but then you can look the other way and see Table Mountain ...). They do make an interesting and different backdrop.

Any ideas out there about the provenance of the 917 ?