Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3501453)   #26
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenunn-78 View Post
The little teasers!
An apology was included in the tweet
Old 11 Feb 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3504008)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
@IntMotorSports: Update for BGP marshals: invitation letters have been despatched today from IMS.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 15:54 (Ref:3504009)   #28
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First! I am in. Got an email 10 minutes ago.
When will I find out which post I'm on?
Are there electric hookups on the campsite?

OK, I will take my coat (I should it is -10C outside)
Old 11 Feb 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3504103)   #29
abwjr11
Rookie

United States
Denver Colorado USA
abwjr11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now to Find an Air Tickr

Received my Flag Marshal acceptance letter today. Happy. Thanks to all that helped along the way.

Now to find an air ticket for my bride and I.

And I already have a generator for my RV which will be parked in worker camping.

Do I need to bring my own orange coveralls? Or are they issued?

Need rain boots?

Any other suggestions?

And how do i request a change to my "Rookie" status on this website?
Old 11 Feb 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3504106)   #30
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwjr11 View Post
Received my Flag Marshal acceptance letter today. Happy. Thanks to all that helped along the way.

Now to find an air ticket for my bride and I.

And I already have a generator for my RV which will be parked in worker camping.

Need rain boots?

Any other suggestions?

Yep Bring rain boots we get a lot of rain I would also bring something to get rid of the flies although never marshaled have spectated many time and you tend to get these little black flies. Orange overalls will need to bring your own as far as I am aware they are not supplied. Silverstone can also get 4 seasons in a day even in the summer so wet gear (orange) weather to deal with the cold and heat. Cant think of anything else apart from bring toilet roll although Silverstone has improved this in the last few years. I am hoping to marshal this year but we will see if I got in the next few days.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3504210)   #31
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your "Rookie" status will change once you posts reach a pre determined level. (dont ask me what that figure is though)

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 Feb 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3504216)   #32
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Need rain boots?
You've never been to Britain before, have you.

Seriously, though, yes, boots should be able to protect you from rain and dirt/mud, as you could find yourself walking about in the latter for 3 long days.

Quote:
As mentioned above, they are not issued, but strictly speaking, as a flag marshal, you are not required to have orange overalls. Instructions are usually very specific about flag marshals not getting involved in dealing with incidents at any time, so you don't need any protection in that sense, and the tabbards are used for identification.

Obviously, you should ensure that your clothing does not clash with flag colours, and you are prepared for hot or wet conditions, and wearing overalls makes you feel more a part of the team, but it is up to you.

If you need any clarification on anything, ask Roy, as he will be able to give you the definitive answer.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3504226)   #33
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
: As mentioned above, they are not issued, but strictly speaking, as a flag marshal, you are not required to have orange overalls.

If you need any clarification on anything, ask Roy, as he will be able to give you the definitive answer.
We've had flag marshals from France and Australia in the past who wore their white overalls and that wasn't a problem.

Old 12 Feb 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3504231)   #34
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=abwjr11;3504103]Received my Flag Marshal acceptance letter today. Happy. Thanks to all that helped along the way.
Great news!

Quote:
I'd say bring your whites!

Quote:
Need rain boots?
Waterproof footwear strongly recommended. As with the wet weather gear, there's plenty of places to pick up inexpensive stuff here, if your luggage is getting full!

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
Bring trash and trinkets - the 'local' stuff you're fed up of looking at, will be like gold to a UK marshal. Badges/stickers/patches/lanyards - clear your attic! We always take stuff to US/Canada with us
You'll probably be getting bussed out to your station (no backs of pickups, unfortunately), to get to the bus is 1/4 mile walk from campsite. So, don't expect to take a lot of kit with you each day. Buy/beg/borrow/steal a camping chair - there's lots of downtime and not a lot of comfy places to sit.
Plan your food/drink/meals. Us flaggies have to collect radios each morning, which makes it 0 dark thirty, not always best time for breakfast. There is a burger van on the campsite, but it's not a place I'd choose to eat. Once you're at your station, there's plenty time to eat breakfast if you've brought it with you - you might have a concession stand near you, maybe not. There's not much chance to leave the station for food/drink, so take it all with you in the morning. A lot of the stations have lockable cabins, so once you've got your stuff there on Friday, you can leave chairs etc in the cabin overnight.
There's a small 'shop' on the campsite which will have milk/bread/eggs/ basic supplies, so you shouldn't have to try and get out of the campsite. There's plenty of supermarkets around Silverstone (at Towcester) to do a main shop as you arrive to Silverstone.
Be aware of the time it takes to leave the circuit after the race - better to leave 7/8pm if you need to, otherwise, leave it till Monday morning.

Bring patience and a sense of humo(u)r - you'll see things done way differently to what you're used to. Embrace it, share your views with your fellow flaggies. Enjoy the event.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3504284)   #35
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al,
as other said - rain boots and rain coat is a must. And do not believe weather forecasts, you can get any type of weather at Silverstone. It could be raining at Stowe and sunshine at Luftfield at the same time
The fist year I came back from the US to Silverstone I did not take any warm cloths with me (forecast was saying 70-80F) and on Thursday evening I had to run to local Tesco in Towcester to buy a fleece (it was 50-60F and rain).
Also, as it was mentioned, remember take water/drinks with you in the morning - it is not provided on posts like in the US (but there are water bottles in the sign-on tent, though by Sunday most of them are usually gone).
I have always found time to buy breakfast and lunch during the day, but it sometimes may depend on which post you are on. And during lunch people are usually OK when ask to jump the queue (line) to buy a burger because you have to get to your post.

Quote:
As already was said, they are not issued. Flagging in white should not be a problem, however I heard some marshals coming from the US were borrowing some orange overalls form UK marshals.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3504287)   #36
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpiotr View Post
Al, as other said - rain boots and rain coat is a must. And do not believe weather forecasts, you can get any type of weather at Silverstone.
Surely you have realised by now that ALL circuits have their own micro-climate

Ignore all forecasts - take wet weather gear and your sun tan lotion

But don't care.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 23:27 (Ref:3504392)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Surely you have realised by now that ALL circuits have their own micro-climate

Ignore all forecasts - take wet weather gear and your sun tan lotion
Silverstone can have it's own micro-climate at each corner. Don't believe any weather forecasts, assume anything may happen during the week-end.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 07:34 (Ref:3504462)   #38
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the letters are out for delivery today ��
Old 13 Feb 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3504529)   #39
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And how long do you recon before the "have you got any spare tickets" start appearing.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3504540)   #40
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
About 20 minutes before we post the usual reminder about the forum policy regarding asking for spare tickets...
Old 13 Feb 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3504571)   #41
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here goes ....

I'm in/I'm not in/Any spare tickets ?....

Delete where applicable
Old 13 Feb 2015, 16:31 (Ref:3504602)   #42
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Here goes I am In My first time there as a marshal being going for years as spectator will be good to see it from the other side of the fence
Old 13 Feb 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3504609)   #43
rhawkins
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
rhawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wooohooo!! I'll be there for my 3rd Grand Prix!! See you guys there!
Old 13 Feb 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3504707)   #44
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
am in...
Old 14 Feb 2015, 07:10 (Ref:3504764)   #45
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in can't wait
Old 16 Feb 2015, 08:31 (Ref:3505382)   #46
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
After 17 British Grands Prix as an Incident Marshal, this year i've been accepted as an Incident Officer!

Old 17 Feb 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3505725)   #47
Brother Grim
Rookie

Brother Grim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thursday nights going to be fun

http://www.madness.co.uk/gig/grandsl...stone-circuit/
Old 17 Feb 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3505857)   #48
cobra99
Rookie

England
Farnham
cobra99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Grim View Post
Hope we get free entry like last year.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3506804)   #49
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heardy1982 View Post
Ok Here goes I am In My first time there as a marshal being going for years as spectator will be good to see it from the other side of the fence
Well done, enjoy.

So am I [yes I can hear the groans ] - this will be my upteempth GP ...

But don't care.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3507035)   #50
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Well done, enjoy.

So am I [yes I can hear the groans ] - this will be my upteempth GP ...