Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3797437)   #376
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM1 View Post
It is a confusing ball indeed!

I know do know of a VL chassis - AVL XXXXX Vin number. HDT gear on it etc. Trying to understand its history.
So is it in Europe then?

Just having gone back through the most recent pages, it does seem to suggest that one of the Brock VK ETCC cars from 1986 went to TWR and the other TWR VK might well have been a brand new car.

It would be logical to assume the ex Brock one was the one that stayed in Europe and driven by Woodman and Cleland at the '86 TT and then onto Walkinshaw's shops. The post also says that the very first VLSS 88 TWR car may well have been the VK hack (this car).

Or... the other poster says it was one shunted by Moffatt at Bathurst (this could have been the Woodman TT car as Bathurst was a month after the TT after all)

Last edited by chunterer; 15 Feb 2018 at 09:37.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3797440)   #377
DMM1
Rookie

DMM1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
So is it in Europe then?

Just having gone back through the most recent pages, it does seem to suggest that one of the Brock VK ETCC cars from 1986 went to TWR and the TWR VK other might well have been a brand new car.

It would be logical to assume the ex Brock one was the one that stayed in Europe and driven by Woodman and Cleland at the '86 TT and then onto Walkinshaw's shops. The post also says that the very first VLSS 88 TWR car may well have been this very same car....

Or... the other poster says it was one shunted by Moffatt at Bathurst (this could have been the Woodman TT car as Bathurst was a month after the TT after all)

I wonder where the Belgian VL's come from, as it is not clear. Would be interesting to know if one of Belgian Serge power cars is now back in Australia as it was sold back to England (i know this for sure!)

Prior to a VL being sold back to England, i can 100% confirm it was in Finland. The dutch rally cross cars i think were the last of the VK's left over there.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3798721)   #378
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM1 View Post
I wonder where the Belgian VL's come from, as it is not clear. Would be interesting to know if one of Belgian Serge power cars is now back in Australia as it was sold back to England (i know this for sure!)

Prior to a VL being sold back to England, i can 100% confirm it was in Finland. The dutch rally cross cars i think were the last of the VK's left over there.
I've just sent you a PM.... but we may as well try and keep this going again!
I always assumed the Belgian cars were bought second hand from Australia at the beginning of '87 with Spa in mind. So most likely VK;s which were then facelifted?

Serge Power i'm sure had 2 cars, pedalled by various rent-a-drivers (including Delcourt). I remember seeing both at the '87 TT in the atrocious weather. The 2nd car was hired by some Brit drivers; Jerry Mahoney and I can't recall the other guy. One of the cars was a Dutch entry Jeroen Hin's Playboy car?

I think there might have been a 3rd private VL in that race prep'd by John Maguire Racing which was driven by club racers Vic Covey and Andrew Jeffrey?

Last edited by chunterer; 5 Feb 2018 at 16:10.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3798783)   #379
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Serge Power i'm sure had 2 cars, pedalled by various rent-a-drivers (including Delcourt). I remember seeing both at the '87 TT in the atrocious weather. The 2nd car was hired by some Brit drivers; Jerry Mahoney and I can't recall the other guy. One of the cars was a Dutch entry Jeroen Hin's Playboy car?

I think there might have been a 3rd private VL in that race prep'd by John Maguire Racing which was driven by club racers Vic Covey and Andrew Jeffrey?
Jerry Mahony bought a ride in the Guyaux/Delcourt Serge Power car (note his Arquati sponsorship much in evidence)
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-023.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7178/6...92bfd6c8_b.jpg

while Covey & Jeffrey leased Hin's 'Playboy' Commodore
https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066...746222ea_b.jpg

Did Jeroen Hin use the Delcourt car at times as well? Check these pics from the Zolder ETC round- Hin and Fred Krab in what looks like the Delcourt car, but with Hin's Playboy sponsorship...

http://autosport.nl/klasse/nieuws/18...meijuni-1987/2
Old 12 Feb 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3800697)   #380
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Jerry Mahony bought a ride in the Guyaux/Delcourt Serge Power car (note his Arquati sponsorship much in evidence)
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-023.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7178/6...92bfd6c8_b.jpg

while Covey & Jeffrey leased Hin's 'Playboy' Commodore
https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066...746222ea_b.jpg

Did Jeroen Hin use the Delcourt car at times as well? Check these pics from the Zolder ETC round- Hin and Fred Krab in what looks like the Delcourt car, but with Hin's Playboy sponsorship...

http://autosport.nl/klasse/nieuws/18...meijuni-1987/2
Great stuff, thanks for the refresher KA, helps clarify a few points about who drove those cars. Memory fades over time....

I sincerely hope we get on out in MRL TCT, before too long with the 1990 cut off there would be a good choice of VK, VL or VL88 to consider...
Old 14 Feb 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3801182)   #381
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Serge Power VL's were new cars built by Serge Power from kits (possibly from Roadways?)

Pretty unlikely the Cleland/Woodman TT car was the Moffat crash car from Bathurst, AFAIK the Bathurst car was the same car used by Brock & Moffat at Sandown which was around the same time as the TT.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3801480)   #382
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The Serge Power VL's were new cars built by Serge Power from kits (possibly from Roadways?)

Pretty unlikely the Cleland/Woodman TT car was the Moffat crash car from Bathurst, AFAIK the Bathurst car was the same car used by Brock & Moffat at Sandown which was around the same time as the TT.
Thanks for that snippet 155.

It does seem more and more likely that the TT car became the TWR hack, Logistically at least?

I wonder if anyone connected to the Cleland's has any recollection of what happened to it after the TT?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3801489)   #383
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thanks for that snippet 155.

It does seem more and more likely that the TT car became the TWR hack, Logistically at least?

I wonder if anyone connected to the Cleland's has any recollection of what happened to it after the TT?
One of the Brock 'European tour' VKs - presumably the TT car - was definitely being advertised in Autosport some time (October) after the TT- and although the address was given as Bertie Street, the two contact phone numbers listed were for Bill Cleland and Tony Fall at Opel- IIRC Brock based his cars at Opel's motorsport HQ in Russelheim, and used their transporters etc during his '86 European venture.

The car being advertised in Europe with contacts given in the UK and Germany suggests it didn't go back 'down under'
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3801500)   #384
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
One of the Brock 'European tour' VKs - presumably the TT car - was definitely being advertised in Autosport some time (October) after the TT- and although the address was given as Bertie Street, the two contact phone numbers listed were for Bill Cleland and Tony Fall at Opel- IIRC Brock based his cars at Opel's motorsport HQ in Russelheim, and used their transporters etc during his '86 European venture.

The car being advertised in Europe with contacts given in the UK and Germany suggests it didn't go back 'down under'
Yes, great, thanks again KA.

The question that springs to mind from that advert is were they acting as agents for the sale on behalf of Brock or Holden?

With the TT as a taster, did the Cleland's and Vince initially have designs on running it in the BTCC or ETCC in 1987, presumably as a pseudo works effort with DCRS/Opel Europe?
Old 20 Jun 2018, 02:36 (Ref:3832005)   #385
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a chat to a very very switched on HDT mate about this recently, he informed me that Serge Power at one point had 4 yes FOUR group A Commodores in their workshop, might explain some of the parts swapping between the cars..
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3833547)   #386
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzone View Post
Had a chat to a very very switched on HDT mate about this recently, he informed me that Serge Power at one point had 4 yes FOUR group A Commodores in their workshop, might explain some of the parts swapping between the cars..
Wow, 4 of them at the same time?

Wonder where these cars ended up?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 04:44 (Ref:3880545)   #387
DMM1
Rookie

DMM1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, 4 of them at the same time?

Wonder where these cars ended up?
I think one of them is back in Australia I think the other is in other colours
Old 5 Feb 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3882061)   #388
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regarding Belgium

A Commodore not sure about the letters was raced in rallycross over there from 1987. but I think it was either ex touring car or likely imported.

It was upgraded to the big bodykit, run by the Autoglass Paul Kumpen team and driven by Eddy Knuts.

Was still going into 1991/2. Back in normal bodywork but still quick driven by a guy called Jacques Fransen.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3893123)   #389
PascalWeytjens
Rookie

PascalWeytjens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wasn't there another driver who drove the Commodore as well as Franssen- either the season before, or the seaon after?
yes, a guy named Guffens! I was a mechanic in training (16y old)

Tags
alan docking racing, btcc, etcc, group a, holden commodore, mike o brien