Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Mar 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3807400)   #76
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I unfortunately can remmebre when magazines were full of editorial, loads o different features, long articles.

Magazines now are largely full of fluff.
So i stopped buying them.

Nothing negative about that, just simple fact, but hey never let a username get int he way of your point
I’m just having a little fun and meant no malice in it. I’m sorry.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3807402)   #77
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
with that in mind (and being completely serious) isn’t it about time they brought their plus subscribers a digital version of the calendar stickers? come on guys, i’m way too lazy to add it all myself
That is a good point. Really easy to do and it’s an opportunity for them to have reminder in your calendar. It’s probably more useful for non plus people.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3807443)   #78
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are sites out there that can generate calendars for various digital formats but...

the reason i mention the plus format is that could in theory be augmented with existing historical data about the event eg links to past results, tyre selections, etc. might take a bit of prep work to pre-create pages and update them but it’s not my area of expertise.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3807529)   #79
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I see F1racing.net (or GPUpdate.net) has now been swallowed up into the Autosport belly. Another smaller news outlet gone.

The one thing I don't like to see on the Autosport site is that it only takes someone related to the F1 circuit to sneeze and it generates a "top headline", yet when other series have major events or news taking place, there is never much coverage.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3807560)   #80
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
add clickbait headlines to that as well. "x announces new driver" instead of "y to drive for x" has been cropping up this winter.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3807573)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

The one thing I don't like to see on the Autosport site is that it only takes someone related to the F1 circuit to sneeze and it generates a "top headline", yet when other series have major events or news taking place, there is never much coverage.
That's been a common criticism for a lot of years now and it was the main reason I stopped buying it, what, 12-15 years ago?
Old 12 Mar 2018, 22:54 (Ref:3807598)   #82
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was also one of the reason I got quickly disheartened working in the motorsport press for the short time I did.

You would spend hours writing story, speaking to people on the phone, then it would be dropped because some F1 nerk would do something, and you were left to explain to the guy whose time you had wasted that something came up. And they wonder why people don't buy their crap anymore.

the content is meek, the writing is average and the prices are too high.

Magazines have always been a luxury to most, and they feed off of peoples desire to not miss a copy.

Once you do, dropping it is so, so easy.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3807602)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I used to buy every copy back in 1998 to about 2004 because I was massively into F1 at the time and it did do a good job of covering that aspect of motorsport. But as my F1 interest has waned, so has my appetite for such publications, plus you can get free articles online (still - hopefully!) so I haven't really bought it regularly in years. The last one i did buy was the supertouring edition several years ago.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3809632)   #84
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed that the magazine got a little smaller by 1/2 an inch this issue (Guide 2018). No biggie. I think you'd like to know that by 9 a.m on Monday, all 4 copies were sold out at my local magazine shop in the San Fernando valley of Los Angeles. Maybe there are F1 fans in the US after all.....or maybe there are only 4 ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Hi all,

First off, apologies for not posting here more often. Long-termers will recall I used to do so, but the day job takes up rather a lot of time these days!

I wanted to reply to the McLaren/Zak Brown question, which is an understandable one given Brown's dual role, one he is very conscious of.

I can confirm Zak has no influence on the editorial content of the magazine. The only direct contact I have had with him on the subject is when I asked him if we could do an interview and photoshoot with Fernando Alonso at Daytona. In other words, the Jan 25 issue was my idea, on the basis that Alonso's Indy 500 story was one of the biggest things of 2017, we don't often get proper slots with him, and I think it's a cool story. Not everyone will agree, but it was my call, not Zak's.

As for last week's issue, have people actually read Ben Anderson's piece, or even the cover? Yes, Zak is interviewed, but we're coming at it much from the negative angle of McLaren really needing to deliver now that the Honda saga is over. If not, there is a real chance it could slip into the Williams position of midfield battler. That wouldn't be great for F1 - I am sure we'll all agree we'd like to see more teams other than Mercedes and Ferrari (and possibly Red Bull) fighting for wins.

Ben's final line is: "McLaren must escape decline soon, or else surely the damage will be permanent." We also did a McLaren 'Crisis' cover on the March 23rd issue last year, when our F1 guys fathomed just how much trouble the team was in. I don't think Zak would have been too pleased about either, but I have received no pressure to soften our approach.

Along with George Russell and Dan Ticktum, Lando Norris is one of the most exciting British talents currently on the verge of F1, which is reflected in the coverage. Of course, had he not been Alonso's team-mate at Daytona (where he, unsurprisingly, excelled), he would not have been part of that piece.

As regards other teams, we had a Red Bull one the week before last and will likely have one in the near future. Ferrari and Mercedes will of course follow, though they tend to get lots of covers when the season starts thanks to all the winning!

As an aside, those that know me will also know I endeavour to put non-F1 on the cover when I get the chance - our Le Mans preview and report were last year and I've put the Goodwood Revival on the cover for the past two years. Sadly, I have to be very careful what I select and when as most non-F1 covers result in a fall in sales.

I'll not go on, but please do drop me an email at kevin.turner@autosport.com if you have any further thoughts, questions or criticisms. My only request is that they be constructive and based on what is actually in the magazine, rather than perception from what it was like 10, 15 (or whatever!) years ago.

Many thanks,
Kevin Turner
Autosport magazine editor
Old 21 Mar 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3809669)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I used to buy every copy back in 1998 to about 2004 because I was massively into F1 at the time and it did do a good job of covering that aspect of motorsport. But as my F1 interest has waned, so has my appetite for such publications, plus you can get free articles online (still - hopefully!) so I haven't really bought it regularly in years. The last one i did buy was the supertouring edition several years ago.
I had a subscription throughout the 80s and 90s, but gave it up once the emphasis became firmly fixed on F1. I still buy two copies every year - the LM Guide issue and the issue with the LM race report - which in itself is a sadly pale shadow of the in-depth reporting we were used to in the 80's....
Old 21 Mar 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3809687)   #86
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stopped buying Autosport on a regular basis several years ago.

I bought last weeks issue for the Henry Hope-Frost tribute by Marcus Pye, but was disappointed to read that national/club race results are not going to be published.

Does this mean that race reports will also be culled, meaning journalists and photographers, most of whom are freelance, will lose work or is it just an excuse to cull a couple of pages and reduce the cost of printing when we all know the cover price won't drop to reflect the reduction in quality/quantity.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3809690)   #87
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've been a subscriber since about 1980, originally collecting the magazine from a newsagents on my way to work, and more recently having it posted to me at work. In the early days I read the thing from cover to cover, but nowadays, thanks to websites like this one, (and to be honest the Autosport website) I can find out what I want to know without the printed magazine.
I still keep my subscription open out of habit, but keep thinking to myself I should save myself some money by cancelling it, and having just full on-line access but so far I've not been able to find out the cost of that (not that I've been trying that hard.
What I suppose says it all is that the past three issues are currently sitting on my desk still in their plastic sleeves! (Maybe it is about time for me to do something about this?)
Old 21 Mar 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3809699)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I got into that position (unopened copies) and cancelled. That was before the Autosport Plus online thing.

Also there are changes to the club section, less results and choosing which races to cover. I get the rationale, but they risk sales of people looking for their own name
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3810585)   #89
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Bought last couple- are Roebuck and Pye columns now just occasional? And God , but some of the mangled , portentous prose in the F1 stuff was near unreadable. Guys, it is not compulsory to use 'parlay ' at every opportunity .
Old 25 Mar 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3810624)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes the Fifth Column is now only monthly. I think though they are making a mistake by showing less club racing coverage.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:31 (Ref:3815107)   #91
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Autosport easily found throughout London? I remember having a hard time finding it around town, including at Heathrow, Gatwick and various train stations. Granted that was 10-years ago, but just asking?
Old 13 Apr 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3815210)   #92
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't live in London but it seems getting a copy of Autosport is now like getting hens teeth.

The shops won't stock too many copies because it is a weekly and they don't want to return copies, customers then can't find it so retailers don't stock it because no one buys it, its a downward spiral.

To be honest with the speed of the internet, and the sources of news available then the days of a weekly print issue must be numbered. The last issue I bought was the one with the obituary for HHF a few weeks ago, that was probably the first print issue I have bought in several years.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3815219)   #93
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
So, basically it's easier to find copies in Los Angeles than London? It comes out Thursdays in the UK, and 4-days later in the USA. The F1 preview issue sold out (4-copies) in 2-hours on Monday morning before the first GP. I got their at 9:30 and I bought the last one.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3815224)   #94
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy the retro articles, which is probably why I read Motorsport too. But there is far too much in the way of page filler F1 articles. Most of the time it’s the same old press releases. I have every sympathy with Autosports journalists on this, as they must be so sanitised by the Team media before any real journalism can be achieved.
• Increase the club racing element. I understand most are not interested how Jonny Smith came 12th in a Saloon race at Anglesey. But interviews with manufactures, engine builders, stalwarts of club racing etc.
• Bring back race of my life feature as published in the 1980’s
• Track tests
• Articles on racing championships from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s such as FVL, F3, Renault 5’s etc.
• Racing in other countries. A feature to say what races in Mexico, India, listing maybe of what cars have appeared there, ex ………
• It always makes me laugh when I see articles listing Radicals or £25k as budget motorsport ! Metro cup, Monoposto, and the likes never get a mention in this respect
Old 14 Apr 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3815390)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I struggle to find any Autosports in newsagents these days. Good job I have an online subscription
Old 14 Apr 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3815424)   #96
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the last few weeks Autosport has lost no opportunity to tell us how poor Ferrari are and how amazing McLaren and RedBull are, a strange disconnect with reality or just appeasing their paymasters?
Old 14 Apr 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3815464)   #97
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Interesting. I stopped reading it but still sounds like it’s the unofficial McLaren site though, with contractual Renault mentions. Doubtless still denying it though.

Such a shame.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3815465)   #98
mark_l
Veteran

England
Autosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Interesting. I stopped reading it but still sounds like it’s the unofficial McLaren site though, with contractual Renault mentions. Doubtless still denying it though.

Such a shame.

Motorsport Network (owner of Autosport) Chairman is Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing. Spot the connection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 Apr 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3816263)   #99
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Motorsport Network (owner of Autosport) Chairman is Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing. Spot the connection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya, that's why if Alonso races at kart in Spain, it'll probably be on the cover for 3-weeks in a row. Once before the event, 1 right after the event and an interview 2-weeks later telling us why & how it went. Wait till Le Mans 24.....
Old 20 Apr 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3816682)   #100
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
Is Autosport easily found throughout London? I remember having a hard time finding it around town, including at Heathrow, Gatwick and various train stations. Granted that was 10-years ago, but just asking?
The start of the problem was 20 years ago, when it fell out of the top 100 magazines (as measured by the Audit Bureau of Circulation).

If you're not in the top 100, then WH Smith (which was still the biggest player in the market back then) didn't automatically stock you... it was down to discretion of individual store managers. Or you could pay WHS to carry it, but that would get expensive to do every week.

Supermarkets now have the bulk of magazine sales, but many of them stock an even smaller range - some only the top 40.

Autosport's circulation figures continued to fall, and then about 8 years ago they withdrew from ABC, so nobody knows how far they have fallen since, as there are no longer any independently audited numbers.