Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jan 2023, 18:56 (Ref:4140441)   #201
MikeL
Rookie

MikeL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Welcome to MikeL who some of you will know from HSCC and HRDC events (among others).
Thank you for the welcome. This is the Chevy GT. Lots to do!
Attached Thumbnails
20230101_104740.jpg  
Old 17 Jan 2023, 19:00 (Ref:4140443)   #202
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That'll be interesting. The short wheelbase coupled with a large engine. What were its results in Period?
Old 17 Jan 2023, 19:15 (Ref:4140446)   #203
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Jeepers that will eat up most MGB ‘s .?
Old 18 Jan 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4140560)   #204
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That'll be interesting. The short wheelbase coupled with a large engine. What were its results in Period?
It's a combination which seems to work with TVRs although it could be a handful in the wet...
Old 18 Jan 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4140563)   #205
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If the yellow strap protects the carb mounting, the engine location seems to be back from the front axle. I remember Mike was not a great fan of the Griffith 200/400, to say the least.
Old 18 Jan 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4140572)   #206
MikeL
Rookie

Yes that yellow tape is the carb mounting position, the engine is a good way back and the transmission tunnel has been substantially widened to accommodate. There are a few challenges ahead, for example getting exhaust manifolds to fit.

I have been hunting for results in period, I have found a few for sprints and I have found some commentary on race entries but I have not found any track times or results. I think Ken Wilson raced it in 65 & 66 and it may also have been raced by Peter Cottrell, in one of the Gilbern books there is mention of Peter road-testing it.
Attached Thumbnails
20230101_104228.jpg  
Old 18 Jan 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4140573)   #207
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever the displacement I dont think you can expect anything less than 300 hp. Should be enough… I really was in love with the Chevy engine of my Corvette, pulling like ten trains, thousands of torque everywhere, jeez watta engine. I was so sorry to kill one at Monza following an overheating issue. The choice of the water pump/Rad is important and above all this you must find the convenient diameter of the restrictor/ Thermostat.
Old 19 Jan 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4140680)   #208
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this project . Well done ?
Old 21 Feb 2023, 19:09 (Ref:4144411)   #209
MikeL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this project . Well done ?
A brace of GT's. This picture flatters the Chevy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230219_085403.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	76659
Old 22 Feb 2023, 21:06 (Ref:4144581)   #210
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
That workshop is way too tidy ?
Old 24 Feb 2023, 20:41 (Ref:4144826)   #211
MikeL
Rookie

Quote:
That workshop is way too tidy ?
Part workshop part mancave!
Attached Thumbnails
20230205_104228 - Copy.jpg  
Old 25 Feb 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4144909)   #212
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Workshop hosting many wonders, I guess there's a lucky child around enjoying a 917! I love the Lotus part on the wall. Keep the address secret…
Old 26 Feb 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4144970)   #213
MikeL
Rookie

Back to the world of Gilbern GT, this picture of the Chevy GT is from Autosport 18th June '65, as mentioned, must have been a handful in the wet.
Attached Thumbnails
20230226_111656.jpg  
Old 26 Feb 2023, 11:45 (Ref:4144972)   #214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What are your plans for this? Would be great to see it on track but I'm not sure where it fits.
Old 26 Feb 2023, 14:15 (Ref:4144985)   #215
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Special Saloons and Modsports, perhaps?
Old 26 Feb 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4144987)   #216
MikeL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Special Saloons and Modsports, perhaps?
I have started work on it and it will be track-ready by this time next year. I have already spoken to Julius and he said he would be fine to see it running in the All Stars, so for now that's the plan.
Old 26 Feb 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4144988)   #217
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff.
Old 26 Feb 2023, 19:44 (Ref:4145013)   #218
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Back to the world of Gilbern GT, this picture of the Chevy GT is from Autosport 18th June '65, as mentioned, must have been a handful in the wet.
Look at the crowd! Loads of people watching a clubbie. Those were the days eh?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2023, 21:23 (Ref:4145019)   #219
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Look at the crowd! Loads of people watching a clubbie. Those were the days eh?
Exactly! When we used to go to Brands in the 60s you had to get there at silly o'clock to get a decent viewing place on the fence and stop there all day, also south bank was full with cars from top to bottom but now there are more officials and marshals than "paying spectators" at a lot of clubbie meetings
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Feb 2023, 22:19 (Ref:4145026)   #220
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Exactly! When we used to go to Brands in the 60s you had to get there at silly o'clock to get a decent viewing place on the fence and stop there all day, also south bank was full with cars from top to bottom but now there are more officials and marshals than "paying spectators" at a lot of clubbie meetings
Not hard to see why. No safety fences, no gravel, no run offs, no boring one make races, no aero, no track limits, no red flags, no safety cars. Cars you could actually see driven by drivers you could actually see. At prices you could afford.
Old 27 Feb 2023, 07:46 (Ref:4145052)   #221
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Not hard to see why. No safety fences, no gravel, no run offs, no boring one make races, no aero, no track limits, no red flags, no safety cars. Cars you could actually see driven by drivers you could actually see. At prices you could afford.
I have always blamed Sunday shopping.Sundays was always a day of rest meeting friends and family and play time. Hey what do i know.
Old 27 Feb 2023, 09:11 (Ref:4145056)   #222
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have always blamed Sunday shopping.Sundays was always a day of rest meeting friends and family and play time. Hey what do i know.

I know what you mean, however that is just one of the activities that are now permitted to/just happen on Sundays. For example, I do not recall major football or cricket matches taking place on a Sunday.
Old 27 Feb 2023, 15:08 (Ref:4145093)   #223
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I know what you mean, however that is just one of the activities that are now permitted to/just happen on Sundays. For example, I do not recall major football or cricket matches taking place on a Sunday.
Indeed.

However, in a country where more and more people do not see Sunday having the same level of religious (or any other) significance and may favour other days as the "day of rest" it seems unlikely that there will be any move back. Indeed, more likely quite the opposite.
Old 27 Feb 2023, 15:18 (Ref:4145098)   #224
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Little or no TV. Pubs on very limited hours and rarely sold food.

So if you wanted to do anything much there were reasons to travel from home.

Also no streamed coverage.

As a child I used to suffer from tonsilitis and seemed to have quite a few short periods off school when we lived in South London. Afternoons were often occupied with watching horse racing on the TV, for reasons I don't remember. Probably it was the only option.

Can one still watch Horse racing on TV?
Old 27 Feb 2023, 15:21 (Ref:4145099)   #225
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Workshop hosting many wonders, I guess there's a lucky child around enjoying a 917! I love the Lotus part on the wall. Keep the address secret…
It's probably gt FIA Papers. One of the secret 1/2 scale versions that went unnoticed by the Scrutineers ...