Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4146040)   #1626
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yea I seem to recall after the heady highs of 2004 the 2005 BTCC grid looked pretty threadbare.
Other than losing a quality driver in the 2nd WSR car (Reid) from 2004, whilst 2005 was low on numbers, it was mostly the also-rans that were missing.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4146044)   #1627
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphplastering View Post
Wsr livery reveal later on today
https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=7fedd3fef2

It’s certainly, er, something.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4146045)   #1628
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Yeah BMW’s ‘factory’ colour design seems to be hit or miss, not sure it’s done too brilliantly here!
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:47 (Ref:4146047)   #1629
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ugly scheme
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:52 (Ref:4146048)   #1630
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like it.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:53 (Ref:4146049)   #1631
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There aren't many spare (current spec) cars available so whoever acquired the TBL would need to built something new.
On that subject I had a look on the Touring Car Register. Of the current NGTC cars, there are very few out there.

BMW 330i/330e = 5 cars (+1 in private collection)
CUPRA Leon = 4 cars
Ford Focus = 5 cars (+1 in private collection)
Honda Civic FK8 = 7 cars (incl. 2 cars owned by Dynamics not used since 2021)
Hyundai i30N = 4 cars
Toyota Corolla = 3 cars
Vauxhall Astra = 3 cars (incl. 1 car not used since 2020)

TOTAL RACEABLE CARS = 31 (+2 in private collections)

Remove the cars held as spares by bigger teams (1 BMW & 1 Ford & probably 1 Honda) and there's only 28 available.

If OneMotorsport do run 4 cars they'll probably have to buy one of the spare Dynamics-owned FK8s.

This is why I think that one of the Moffat TBLs will probably go back to TOCA - unless someone builds something new (and at probably great expense) there are very few cars out there.

[There are also 3 Infinitis out there but I did not include them as I can't see anyone racing them again in the BTCC]
Old 6 Mar 2023, 13:57 (Ref:4146050)   #1632
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Seems on trend with some of the BMW GT3 and GT4 liveries for this year.

Is it just me or is the BMW, BMW M, and M Performance Parts sponsorship a lot larger and more visible this year?
Old 6 Mar 2023, 14:02 (Ref:4146054)   #1633
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really know what the relevance of total built chassis is? A current NGTC chassis has very little value without a TBL to go with it. Also if you are just replicating an existing design, putting together a new chassis can be done in a matter of weeks. It makes little sense to have built up cars sitting around that won't be used.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4146056)   #1634
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
if you are just replicating an existing design, putting together a new chassis can be done in a matter of weeks.
That depends on how much of a lead time there is at the ROPS fabricators.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4146061)   #1635
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
I don't really know what the relevance of total built chassis is? A current NGTC chassis has very little value without a TBL to go with it. Also if you are just replicating an existing design, putting together a new chassis can be done in a matter of weeks. It makes little sense to have built up cars sitting around that won't be used.
Unless someone who has a TBL is going to build something completely new for this season (and given its now mid-March, someone would have probably heard something) there are very few 'spare' or 'unused' "ready-made" cars around that are not already attached to a TBL that someone with a TBL could theoretically buy.

Last edited by SSmith; 6 Mar 2023 at 14:26. Reason: Updated
Old 6 Mar 2023, 14:21 (Ref:4146062)   #1636
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

There is a bottleneck in the building or repair of these chassis, because there aren't many places where they are created/repaired. For example, Turkington's BMW needed considerable work after the Oulton coming together, but Willie Poole, who is the go to guy for many of the teams, also does work for many other series and couldn't repair the BMW in the break before the next race. Hence WSR having to borrow Turkington's BMW from the Turkington museum.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4146072)   #1637
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Also if you are just replicating an existing design, putting together a new chassis can be done in a matter of weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That depends on how much of a lead time there is at the ROPS fabricators.
And the availability of a donor shell. And more importantly, the funding to pay for that build, which was the point I was originally trying to make.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 15:35 (Ref:4146074)   #1638
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There is a bottleneck in the building or repair of these chassis, because there aren't many places where they are created/repaired. For example, Turkington's BMW needed considerable work after the Oulton coming together, but Willie Poole, who is the go to guy for many of the teams, also does work for many other series and couldn't repair the BMW in the break before the next race. Hence WSR having to borrow Turkington's BMW from the Turkington museum.
The issue with the Turkington BMW wasn't Willie Poole's time but rather the lack of parts from BMW. They needed panels to repair the shell and at the time they weren't available.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 16:19 (Ref:4146088)   #1639
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If it only takes a 'matter of weeks' to build a complete NGTC car, then you should be building them as you would make a lot of money! Pretty sure the original car builder/team would have a big issue with someone 'replicating' their design and stealing their IP.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 17:03 (Ref:4146096)   #1640
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so let's come back to the 'WSR will no longer be supported by BMW' talk in 8 months time

As for the livery I can't quite decide if I like it or not to be honest but for sure it's in line with all factory BMW liveries.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 17:38 (Ref:4146101)   #1641
mphplastering
Rookie

mphplastering should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/10001133467...7CKK9zLmH6Jhl/

Sponsors dropped out so lost Toyota
Old 6 Mar 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4146103)   #1642
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:

That is a shame. It's good to see Crees has got potential drives in other series lined up, but it'll be a shame to lose him from BTCC.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4146116)   #1643
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Wonder if that means Speedworks will drop the third car again like last year.

He mentions (when he was interviewed) only two drives remained.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 18:12 (Ref:4146117)   #1644
mphplastering
Rookie

mphplastering should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Wonder if that means Speedworks will drop the third car again like last year.

He mentions (when he was interviewed) only two drives remained.
May have filled it with MC losing out with sponsors
Old 6 Mar 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4146123)   #1645
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little over a month to the first race and deals not done - not a great business model…..
Old 6 Mar 2023, 18:52 (Ref:4146126)   #1646
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Little over a month to the first race and deals not done - not a great business model…..
just because they are not announced doesnt mean they are not done

unless you believe everything you read in a local newspaper
Old 6 Mar 2023, 21:46 (Ref:4146143)   #1647
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Its not unusual tbh. Though as others have stated, sometimes it's more a case of "not announced" rather than "not done"
Old 7 Mar 2023, 10:07 (Ref:4146185)   #1648
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PMR announce their 3rd driver:

https://www.btcc.net/2023/03/07/mike...-maxed-racing/
Old 7 Mar 2023, 10:12 (Ref:4146186)   #1649
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
That is not a name I know (I don't follow things as closely as I used to) but good luck to him.
Old 7 Mar 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4146187)   #1650
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
That is not a name I know (I don't follow things as closely as I used to) but good luck to him.
Done very well in the Ginettas (GT5) but the BTCC is a huge step up from there, maybe too big a jump, will be interesting to see how he gets on.