Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2022, 10:04 (Ref:4133925)   #51
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The uncomfortable truth is the team has not operated at the top level since the Todt/Brawn//Stepney/Byrne/ Schumacher group disbanded. I know Binotto is Swiss but Italian by any other measure. The Todt group all stuck together - no knifing or stabbing. It would seem looking at Italian politics, Italian football etc it is a National trait to avoid responsibility and blame others - there is the problem
Old 16 Nov 2022, 10:30 (Ref:4133928)   #52
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could the cost cap have a negative impact on Ferrari being able to have the right people in the right roles?

One would say if they are struggling they could try to poach strategists, engineers or techincal staff from Mercedes or Red Bull. However these are probably all based in UK with families there as well. So to poach them Fer would have to pay them more to make it enticing - which would mean less money for car development

I am pretty sure they can have really great techincal people and strategists in Italy, but maybe due to a lack of existing pool of knowledge in recent years means it takes longer for them to build such staff up?

Benefits of working in UK is that you have 7 F1 teams and countless other motorsport teams where one can learn and develop on a clear career path.
Old 16 Nov 2022, 10:37 (Ref:4133930)   #53
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Benefits of working in UK is that you have 7 F1 teams and countless other motorsport teams where one can learn and develop on a clear career path.
Actually 8 F1 teams are based in the UK. AT's technical base is in Bicester.

Last edited by peebee2; 16 Nov 2022 at 10:49.
Old 16 Nov 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4133931)   #54
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the big issue for Ferrari is group-think - relatively few of their senior staff seem to come from other teams. We reference the Todt/Byrne/Braun era - all of them came from highly performing teams before Ferrari and that experience surely helped and perhaps helped to challenge some of the inner workings there.
I will say that in the immensely toxic environment of the F1 paddock, Binotto is always polite and measured in interviews, very much a gentleman amongst the others, and this will be missed on my part at least.
Old 16 Nov 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4133936)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It’s a wonderful quirk of English that whenever people get principle and principal mixed up, the wrong one often makes more sense.

Good catch!
Old 16 Nov 2022, 12:21 (Ref:4133937)   #56
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I’ve read this post several times and my head is still spinning
Old 16 Nov 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4133938)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It’s a wonderful quirk of English that whenever people get principle and principal mixed up, the wrong one often makes more sense.
I don't know if I am alone in this or not, but I have a few words that I always struggle to spell as my brain just feels the correct way is wrong. As if I am hardwired to spell them incorrectly. Original is one. My brain assures me that "Origional" is "correct" when it is not.

And the above mentioned homophones that I have a mental block on picking the correct one at times. Principal vs principle! Thankfully I am aware enough that I usually slow down to think if I am using the correct one. Sometimes even having to Google them to make sure.

Richard
Old 16 Nov 2022, 12:55 (Ref:4133939)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know if I am alone in this or not, but I have a few words that I always struggle to spell as my brain just feels the correct way is wrong. As if I am hardwired to spell them incorrectly. Original is one. My brain assures me that "Origional" is "correct" when it is not.
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
2. The farm was used to produce produce.
3. The bin was so full that I had to refuse more refuse.
4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
5. The soldier decided to desert his company in the desert after eating his dessert.
6. I decided to present the presentation.
7. A bass was painted on the side of the bass drum.
8. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
9. I did not object to being given that object.
10. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
11. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
12. They were too close to the door to close it.
13. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
14. A seamstress and a sewer fell into the sewer.
15. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
16. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
17. After a number of injections, my jaw got number.
18. Upon seeing the tear in the painting, I shed a tear.
19. I love to read; I read a great book recently.
20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend who, to some people, is a fiend?
22. I looked at a strange orange.
23. She took a break for breakfast.
24. I met her here, where we usually meet, but neither Neil nor Mary turned up.
25. Although I made a thorough search through the rough by the lough, I couldn’t find my golf ball, as it had landed on the bough of a tree. It was so cold that day that I developed a cough with hiccoughs and so I bought some medicine.

There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger and neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England nor French fries in France. And Chinese gooseberries aren’t from China.
Sweetmeats are sweet while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.
Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?
If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth?
One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?
Should we say ‘scone’ as ‘own’ or as ‘gone’?
Why do we refer to a pair of spectacles or of trousers when there is only one?
Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend?
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?
If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
Why do people recite in a play and play in a recital?
Ship by lorry and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?
A house burns up as it burns down, you fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm goes off by going on.
When stars are out, they are visible, but when lights are out they are invisible.
I was taught ‘i before e except after c’. So why do I write Neil, neither, deity, science and cierge?
If a piano player is a pianist, is a racing car driver a racist?
Why do we talk about a ‘building’ when it has already been built?

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Apologies for going - - just thought (fort) it worth sharing.

Back on topic - I am hearing from certain Italian colleagues that the denial is just the Agnelli way to approach things. They are determined that they (and not the source of the 'leak') will be the controlling factor over the timing of the news. They have history for similar controlling activities at The Old Lady - and this is more of the same.

If these comments are accurate - then Binotto's exit is already determined, and it will be orchestrated publicly at a time of Exor's choosing.
It is worth noting that La Gazzetta dello Sport ran the story, Corriere dello Sport and Corriere della Sera are now also publishing comment that it is a 'done deal'. But la Repubblica (from what I have read) are denying the story.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4134900)   #59
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RUMOURS INTENSIFY
Old 28 Nov 2022, 23:05 (Ref:4135260)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
RUMOURS INTENSIFY

More rumors. Interesting if true...

https://racingnews365.com/binottos-f...full-backstory

Richard
Old 29 Nov 2022, 09:13 (Ref:4135315)   #61
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Finito.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/bi...ipal/10405922/
Old 29 Nov 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4135320)   #62
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A perfect vacancy for Michael Andretti!Seriously,I can't think of a reason anybody would want the job,the money would be some compensation for the incessant pressure from the fans and the media but for the last fifteen years they have reverted to being Ferrari.By which I mean they have the key ingredients in place but don't use them wisely.It isn't lack of resources and I doubt whether a new Guilford Technical Office would work.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4135344)   #63
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Idiots Another good guy burnt out and spat out. Instead of supporting him and creating a support network they as usual scape goated him. I give Vassuer 18 months .....
Old 29 Nov 2022, 10:08 (Ref:4135349)   #64
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting info here with the "full backstory". Some interesting info within, in particular about the senior management above Binotto.

https://racingnews365.com/binottos-f...full-backstory.

This bit made me chuckle.

Quote:
The word is Ferrari spoke to folk up and the down paddock - including Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, allegedly offered a package that would ensure a rather comfortable retirement - but given the churn and poisoned chalice that is Scuderia Ferrari’s top job there were no takers.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4135361)   #65
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Idiots Another good guy burnt out and spat out. Instead of supporting him and creating a support network they as usual scape goated him. I give Vassuer 18 months .....
Agree to a certain extent. There were so many problems manifesting themselves over this last season, that from the outside it looks like they need to completely reorganise the tactical department and structure. If whoever the new person is does not do that, then history will repeat itself.

It's a shame because after the first 4 or 5 races I thought that we were headed for a great season long battle between LeClerc and Verstappen. Red Bull obviously out-developed Ferrari over the course of the season, but the amount of points that Ferrari blundered away was horrific.

Ferrari launched a great car. Perhaps next season will be better for them, but I think that maybe the upheaval of a new person at the top will hinder the team just when they are nearly there...
Old 29 Nov 2022, 10:52 (Ref:4135362)   #66
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Agree to a certain extent. There were so many problems manifesting themselves over this last season, that from the outside it looks like they need to completely reorganise the tactical department and structure. If whoever the new person is does not do that, then history will repeat itself.

It's a shame because after the first 4 or 5 races I thought that we were headed for a great season long battle between LeClerc and Verstappen. Red Bull obviously out-developed Ferrari over the course of the season, but the amount of points that Ferrari blundered away was horrific.

Ferrari launched a great car. Perhaps next season will be better for them, but I think that maybe the upheaval of a new person at the top will hinder the team just when they are nearly there...

I still believe Ferrari does not know what makes their car so fast. They developed it earlier than RB and Merc and had a winning car at the start. But then it stagnated - RB pulled miles ahead and Merc caught up with them by end of season. They also said they could not develop due to budget - this to me sounds like they do not know what makes the car fast and how to develop it further

If this is true and a new team manager will crate more uncertainty that does not look good for future.
Also no replacement announced - never a good sign. An organisation like Ferrari you imagine they have staff in place ready to take over when top guy leaves even if in the interim to start with
Old 29 Nov 2022, 10:57 (Ref:4135364)   #67
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
I still believe Ferrari does not know what makes their car so fast. They developed it earlier than RB and Merc and had a winning car at the start. But then it stagnated - RB pulled miles ahead and Merc caught up with them by end of season. They also said they could not develop due to budget - this to me sounds like they do not know what makes the car fast and how to develop it further

Possibly this might become clearer next October when the cap budget certificates are or not issued to cover the 2022 spending.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 11:04 (Ref:4135368)   #68
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Budget management and car development through the season is a whole new strategy that some of the bigger teams need to get their heads around in this new era. Perhaps Merc and RBR did this in a different way to Ferrari that enabled them to catch up / overtake.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4135380)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why are people defending Binotto? Calling him a scape goat? He's been in charge for years, and this year was peak ridiculousness for Ferrari. They were incapable of making a decision that wasn't hilarious. They went from title contenders, to fighting for runner up.

Binotto is in charge of making them a success. They were not a success and the decisions the team made every week made them look like clowns. They were so bad they were a meme. And now people are like "Well that's not fair".

It is fair. The team are a joke. He's in charge.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4135390)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Why are people defending Binotto? Calling him a scape goat? He's been in charge for years, and this year was peak ridiculousness for Ferrari. They were incapable of making a decision that wasn't hilarious. They went from title contenders, to fighting for runner up.

Binotto is in charge of making them a success. They were not a success and the decisions the team made every week made them look like clowns. They were so bad they were a meme. And now people are like "Well that's not fair".

He's been with Ferrari since 1995, working first in the engine department and became Team Principal in 2019. So during those 24 years, one would have thought he fully understood the political dynamics at Maranello.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 12:52 (Ref:4135395)   #71
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:

With respect The job is unlike any other. He was surrounded by buck passers and people who dodged responsibility but not empowered to act without interference from above in the way Todt was. One would have thought looking back to the Todt / Brawn era the penny would have dropped by now.....
Old 29 Nov 2022, 13:09 (Ref:4135402)   #72
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
You're right. And if the penny has not dropped in 3-4 years I'm not surprised he's finding himself unemployed.

All of the arguments for keeping him appear to hinge around everyone around him is crap. Well, that's his job to sort that.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 13:42 (Ref:4135411)   #73
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
You're right. And if the penny has not dropped in 3-4 years I'm not surprised he's finding himself unemployed.

All of the arguments for keeping him appear to hinge around everyone around him is crap. Well, that's his job to sort that.
Clearly you don't understand how it works there.....
Old 29 Nov 2022, 13:44 (Ref:4135412)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Evidently neither does Binotto, or he'd still have a job.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 13:51 (Ref:4135415)   #75
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Evidently neither does Binotto, or he'd still have a job.
Read Joe Sawards column Bang on as ever