Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4125313)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Castle Combe Autumn Classic.

Don't know how significant this is, but I keep getting "final call for entries" e mails for the Castle Combe meeting 25th September.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4125320)   #2
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With just a couple of weeks to go that's not a good sign. Checked the FISCAR website and they had several late entries for the BDC race giving a grid of 24. Apparently they need 25 to make a profit at Castle Combe. The Griffiths Haig Trophy and GTSCC Group One races are new for this season and may struggle for entries while hopefully the GTSCC, Equipe Classic and 500cc Formula Three races will provide healthy grids. And hopefully the sun will shine...
Old 8 Sep 2022, 15:42 (Ref:4125325)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
The Griffiths Haig Trophy and GTSCC Group One races are new for this season and may struggle for entries while hopefully the GTSCC, Equipe Classic and 500cc Formula Three races will provide healthy grids. And hopefully the sun will shine...
I'm a little pessimistic that the Ecurie Classic race will generate a good grid. So far this year, their entries have wavered between mid-teens and low single figures.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 16:59 (Ref:4125333)   #4
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I'm a little pessimistic that the Ecurie Classic race will generate a good grid. So far this year, their entries have wavered between mid-teens and low single figures.
My mistake I misread Ecurie Classic for Equipe Classic. The most recent race at Silverstone does give some cause for optimism with a field in the mid teens and it looks as if it will be combined with the Pre'66 Jags so may give us a half decent grid.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4126880)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Combe Classic entry lists are out on the CCRC website.

Ecurie-12
Fiscar-20
GTSCC-22
HSCC-12
500cc-19
Group1TC-11
Old 22 Sep 2022, 17:53 (Ref:4126881)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm. Not good but I was aware the Group 1 entry fee was quite high in terms of track time.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4126885)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Combe Classic entry lists are out on the CCRC website.

Ecurie-12
Fiscar-20
GTSCC-22
HSCC-12
500cc-19
Group1TC-11
As far as the spectators are concerned it was a much better event when it was run in tandem with the CCRC finals, i know many people, myself included, who made the trip for a really entertaining weekend's racing. Weather permitting I will make the journey for Saturday week to see their finals but with the minimal entries for this weekend i don't think I'll bother.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 19:01 (Ref:4126887)   #8
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
They are not too bad, about what I was expecting. I think you mentioned Peter, that the HRDC were organising a Group One race at Silverstone in a few weeks time, so I guess a lot of entrants are saving their cars for that. The Griffiths Haig Trophy entry is quite small but contains some lovely cars as do all the races and in the GTSCC GT race we have Dr Bob and delta to cheer on. And above all the Beeb and the Met Office are forecasting dry weather.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 19:11 (Ref:4126889)   #9
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
As far as the spectators are concerned it was a much better event when it was run in tandem with the CCRC finals, i know many people, myself included, who made the trip for a really entertaining weekend's racing. Weather permitting I will make the journey for Saturday week to see their finals but with the minimal entries for this weekend i don't think I'll bother.
Unfortunately the two couldn't co-exist with the CCRC competitors wanting to stay late on the Saturday evening after their final meeting while the Autumn Classic teams wanted to get into the paddock to set up for their meeting the following day. A great shame as the combination provided a great weekend's entertainment and I would love to see the Monopostos again.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 22:18 (Ref:4126904)   #10
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
They are not too bad, about what I was expecting. I think you mentioned Peter, that the HRDC were organising a Group One race at Silverstone in a few weeks time, so I guess a lot of entrants are saving their cars for that. The Griffiths Haig Trophy entry is quite small but contains some lovely cars as do all the races and in the GTSCC GT race we have Dr Bob and delta to cheer on. And above all the Beeb and the Met Office are forecasting dry weather.
Agreed. Numbers are disappointing but with most of the series present struggling this year I was ready for that. There are some interesting cars and with a short lap like Combe small grids are less of a problem. And it’s a great place to be on a sunny day. I shall enjoy the day. Finals the following week will be fun too.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 22:22 (Ref:4126905)   #11
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm. Not good but I was aware the Group 1 entry fee was quite high in terms of track time.
3 Rovers and 4 Capris should make a good show even if there is not much else
Old 23 Sep 2022, 07:17 (Ref:4126946)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
3 Rovers and 4 Capris should make a good show even if there is not much else
I sincerely hope so. And good luck to Delta and Dr Bob.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 11:39 (Ref:4127083)   #13
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
A sunny but slightly cool Castle Combe with a good crowd but a half empty paddock. No displays or demonstrations which is a shame as they helped give the meeting a special feel. Having said that only £15 entry and a voucher for a free programme if you bought your ticket in advance.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 11:51 (Ref:4127086)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see DrBob and Iain qualified 16th, immediately behind the Lambert's MGB.
In fact they are alongside each other on the grid.

GTSCC qualifying times. https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=C...3868qu1gsc.pdf
Grid: https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=C...3868grdgsc.pdf
Old 24 Sep 2022, 12:22 (Ref:4127089)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Half empty paddock is a shame. Hopefully the cars there will keep the crowd entertained and entice clubs and exhibitors back to the track.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Sep 2022, 12:29 (Ref:4127091)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I see DrBob and Iain qualified 16th, immediately behind the Lambert's MGB.
In fact they are alongside each other on the grid.

GTSCC qualifying times. https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=C...3868qu1gsc.pdf
Grid: https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=C...3868grdgsc.pdf
That's pretty good going.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4127102)   #17
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Peter's old Rover going well.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4127103)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's a replica, built on a series two chassis. not my old one. John Saunders owns my old ex works Rover.

It appears to be stopped.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 14:52 (Ref:4127107)   #19
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Sorry Peter my mistake. Race just finished, quite entertaining but high attrition, twelve qualified, ten started and just six finished. Perhaps a case for shorter races. In period Thruxton Group One races were twenty laps or about thirty minutes. Skid Scarborough led most of the race before hitting gearbox problems in the last few minutes leaving Ludovic Lindsay to win.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 14:59 (Ref:4127108)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I was watching live timing. Why did Spiers stop? That is usually a reliable car.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4127113)   #21
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Not sure, gearbox as well I think. The Rover had a misfire and then a gearstick problem apparently. Second Griffiths Haig race due to medical emergency in crowd, hopefully not too serious. Just restarting.
Old 24 Sep 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4127145)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Combe haven't had a lot of luck with injuries this delaying things this year! Hope it's not serious and all sorts out.

Old 24 Sep 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4127151)   #23
Mike Crow
Racer

Great day today. Whatever the grids lacked in quantity they more than made up for in quality. The paddock was a joy with many sparkling gems glittering in the sun. Three Maserati sports car for a start. No matter it was well spaced. After the Revival the relaxed atmosphere and lack of crowds was a joy

All the races were good despite the small entries. Large grids are no guarantee of good races and are often hard to follow. Even the saloons put on a cracking show

Mr Pye on the mic, a huge crowd but a family feel, blue skies , a circuit mostly untouched in 70 plus years. No Faff, no BS, no branding, no pretending. Just a proper race meeting with proper cars and amateur drivers

The comparison with the Goodwood fantasy is inevitable. I know which I enjoyed most
Old 25 Sep 2022, 08:17 (Ref:4127255)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Castle Combe Autumn Classic.

Glad you enjoyed the event Mike.Team Delta had a brilliant couple of days at Combe. The organizers are very friendly these days. Guess the weather helped and I was pleased there was a good crowd as they must need the gate revenue.
Some grids were down but that,s the sign of the times everywhere at moment.
Our 500 Comet went well in the hands of Duncan Rabagliati with his best every Finnish in P9.
HRTR5 was on Pole for in the Griffiths Haig Trophy race but got gobbled up at the start. Two strong finishes P5 and P4 overall and P1 in Class was not to shabby.
Myself and Dr Bob had a good GTSCC race which we used as a test before heading to Spa and then Dijon. Good job we did as the Starter Motor shorted out in qualy and started smoking. We even had Marcus Pye rushing over to help and stop the marshalls from covering the car with foam.Lucky we had bought a spare to take to Le Mans earlier in the year.Robert drove very well as if he had not been away and we ended up P4 in class.
So quick turn around " I have not told Mrs Delta we are working today "and we head to Spa Tuesday with Gilbert and the Elite. Very excited.
MG Dave and I will keep you posted over on the 6 hour thread.
Old 25 Sep 2022, 20:45 (Ref:4127415)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

Sounds like the usual adventures at a race meeting. Perfect!

Good luck at Spa, will be following your progress. Wish I were with you!