Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Apr 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3228020)   #1
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st April - Oulton Park MSVR (British GT and F3 Cup etc)

Just a quick thanks for the marshalling at Oulton yesterday.

In particular I want to thank the three or four marshals (one woman and three men I think) on the outside of Deer's Leap who came to my rescue at about 4:30 when I spun having not seen the safety car boards in time (ooops, sorry). Their push-start was brilliant, and got me back in the race, and allowed me to recover some valuable points.

Very many thanks! I did clap and wave next time round, but they might not have been able to see that gesture.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3228029)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think every one of yesterday's marshals deserves a Ranulph Fiennes Special Award for bravery in the face of arctic conditions.

Being a mere weak spectator I went and hid in my car between races!
Old 2 Apr 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3228033)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely. I suspect some of them will never feel their toes and fingers again.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3228066)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
VeryVERY cold on post, well apart from a couple of ginettas warming us up! Gutted for the teams
Old 2 Apr 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3228080)   #5
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to add that we huddled around the burning Ginettas for warmth!

Seriously, I don't get up to Oulton a lot, but was very impressed by the guys & girls on Warwick Bridge / Lodge / Deer Leap this weekend, big shunts and two huge fires very well dealt with, a pleasure to watch the team in action from the flag point - and well done on getting cleared to allow a racing finish in GT race 2!

Worth watching the highlights for it all next week!
Old 2 Apr 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3228123)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having been directly opposite both fires (not sure whether that's good or bad fortune) may I offer a big thumbs up to the many guys and gals who were involved. The first looked big enough - what appeared to be a good oil fire going - but the second was ferocious and appeared to be being fed meaning every time it went out, it lit up again.

Very good work by everyone involved. I've seen a couple of online videos which don't do justice either to the seriousness of the fire or the excellent fire-fighting.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3228141)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Woolley - do you have a link for the on-line videos?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3228142)   #8
big mick
Rookie

big mick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

the last time i was on warwick bridge for GTs and f3s it was a two day meeting i had 6 red flags 1 car hit the bridge itself F3 car tvr into the barrier right infront of the post the flag marshal taken to the mrdical center suffring from shock and that was the race day practice not much better
Old 2 Apr 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3228158)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelagh,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVV0VjvKv4

Fortunately with the first race fire the driver reached back in and killed the electrics, this one however was too ablaze for that - driver (Colin White) had baled out very quickly after feeling the heat!
Old 2 Apr 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3228186)   #10
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT meeting @ Oulton

I would like to pass on my sincere thanks to the team at Shell for their support and encouragement on my 1st weekend as Observer. In particular thanks to Rob and Nigel.
My fingers have only just warmed up, but kept nimble by writing lots of reports.
See you all on Saturday!
Old 2 Apr 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3228202)   #11
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe

All in a days work Tristan, glad we could help. It's always good if we can get someone back in the race. We were in the right place, thanks for spinning in front of us, saved too much running!!!! It was just three of us by the way.

Thanks to everyone at Deers Leap for a great weekend. Having seen the videos on YouTube that was some fire. Hope everyone is OK today (you know what I mean!!!).

Thanks to the folk at Lodge for filling the gaps when we sent some of our guys to get checked out at Med Centre.

See you at the weekend - are there any Ginettas racing, cos I will bring the crumpets if there are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brigette aka Mrs Bean.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3228416)   #12
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
All in a days work Tristan, glad we could help. It's always good if we can get someone back in the race. We were in the right place, thanks for spinning in front of us, saved too much running!!!! It was just three of us by the way.

Thanks to everyone at Deers Leap for a great weekend. Having seen the videos on YouTube that was some fire. Hope everyone is OK today (you know what I mean!!!).

Thanks to the folk at Lodge for filling the gaps when we sent some of our guys to get checked out at Med Centre.

See you at the weekend - are there any Ginettas racing, cos I will bring the crumpets if there are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brigette aka Mrs Bean.
Three of you! The mirrors aren't exactly great for counting how many pushers there are!!!! Little video of you doing your job brilliantly (not filmed by me) http://youtu.be/sylcC64w7b8

If I have to spin again, I'll try to make sure it is in front of you again

THANK YOU
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3228485)   #13
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
... If I have to spin again, I'll try to make sure it is in front of you again
Standard service to all customers, anywhere at Oulton Park. Safety cars? Phah!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3228525)   #14
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Chef

It's really welcoming that drivers take the time to say thanks to us orange 'uns. I noticed a similar comment made by a FF driver who spun out at Donington recently.
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
Mike aka Bean
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3228541)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Woolley - do you have a link for the on-line videos?
They were posted on Facebook so I don't think they're viewable unless you know the person.

Hadn't seen the one Alan posted before, that's from the other side and does give a better impression of just how big the fire was and how determined it was to avoid being controlled! I've been asked the question elsewhere - this was significantly the biggest fire I've seen, not just for it's ferocity but because it appeared to being directly fed fuel under pressure to a seat of the fire that wasn't accessible through the bodywork. It was just like that moment at fire training when someone chucks in another bucket of fuel followed by a match. Every time it appeared to go out it kicked in again just as big as before. Whoever killed the electrics was a hero.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3228562)   #16
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
It's really welcoming that drivers take the time to say thanks to us orange 'uns. I noticed a similar comment made by a FF driver who spun out at Donington recently.
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
Mike aka Bean
In the same way, it's appreciated that the orange 'uns take time to do their stuff at race tracks. A symbiotic relationship...
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3228700)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan: Thanks for the link.

Woolley: You're right - that was one heck of a fire that was never going to be easy to put out. Even Bill (who is known for his ability to kill a fire with just a squirt of extinguisher) couldn't have done better!

Well done all involved - but there were some folks who seemed a bit downwind of the smoke/powder. Not a criticism as I wasn't there; just that you don't want that stuff in your lungs/stomach if you can help it.

(Last bit was from "Ma" Shelagh: I just want to look after you all!!!)
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3228804)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
They won't be able to read it, Shelagh. They'll be in the toilet from about now...!

Been there, done that!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3228899)   #19
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
They won't be able to read it, Shelagh. They'll be in the toilet from about now...!

Been there, done that!
You dont do it again...
Old 5 Apr 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3229446)   #20
a3embers
Rookie

a3embers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Just a quick thanks for the marshalling at Oulton yesterday.

In particular I want to thank the three or four marshals (one woman and three men I think) on the outside of Deer's Leap who came to my rescue at about 4:30 when I spun having not seen the safety car boards in time (ooops, sorry). Their push-start was brilliant, and got me back in the race, and allowed me to recover some valuable points.

Very many thanks! I did clap and wave next time round, but they might not have been able to see that gesture.
Tristan you are more than welcome, i had just returned to post after a visit to the medical centre following helping to put out the Ginetta fire when you spun infront of us. We did see you clapping and it was a very welcome gesture.

I am glad to say that i've had no adverse after effects from assisting to put out the Ginetta. Despite being in the smoke cloud most of the time and emptying a good number of powder bottles into it. Having said that my hat got singed at the front from the heat after redirecting to the car following seeing the driver role out and my gloves went straight in the bin.

I hope the driver (Colin White) is ok and the team can at least salvage something from the car! And all the other marshalls involved are ok?
Old 5 Apr 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3229738)   #21
Fennell
Rookie

Fennell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3embers View Post
Tristan you are more than welcome, i had just returned to post after a visit to the medical centre following helping to put out the Ginetta fire when you spun infront of us. We did see you clapping and it was a very welcome gesture.

I am glad to say that i've had no adverse after effects from assisting to put out the Ginetta. Despite being in the smoke cloud most of the time and emptying a good number of powder bottles into it. Having said that my hat got singed at the front from the heat after redirecting to the car following seeing the driver role out and my gloves went straight in the bin.

I hope the driver (Colin White) is ok and the team can at least salvage something from the car! And all the other marshalls involved are ok?

Glad to hear you're OK, I was at Deers Leap with you as a (very inexperienced) rookie & it was certainly something I'll remember!! We also watched from the other side as you guys got Tristan on his way - it was really nice to see him give you a wave.

Thanks to everyone at Deers Leap - my second day as a marshal was immense & I'm really looking forward to more of the same (although less Ginetta fires would be a bonus)
Old 6 Apr 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3229951)   #22
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have watched the videos on YouTube and have to say good effort all round.