Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Jul 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3751480)   #51
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Now the penalty for the #35 Alpine is more inline with what I think is fair, though it's basically the same thing IMO as the #24 Manor got a 7 minute penalty for--inattention to what's going on.

I understand that avoidable contact under yellow requiring a more stiff penalty, but 7 minutes vs 30 seconds for what IMO is a largely similar offense?

I think it's not just the officials on the stewards' panel that's gone batty since Spa...
What the Manor did was actually under red for people over the guard rail. I would say this is worse than doing this during green. The Manor situation lead even to a crash. I welcome officials enforcing flag rules and track limits in the WEC. Especially when looking at other series.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3751483)   #52
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Red flag, yellow flag, who cares? It was when cars were traveling slowly and proceeding back to the pits. You're not supposed to run into someone when the track isn't green. Technically, you're not really supposed to when the track is green. But when it's not under racing conditions, you're supposed to stay in line and do what the race director says, be it stay in formation or proceed back to the pits in an orderly fashion.

I still don't agree with the ruling that the team should get a 7 minute stop and hold penalty when the offending driver can just be suspended for the rest of the weekend. As I've said, the ACO have set that precedent before.

I also think that Rusinov should've been suspended for Nurburgring instead of the team having to deal with a 3 minute stop and hold he caused.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3751485)   #53
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I also think, just like F1, that track limits wouldn't be an issue if one, they didn't race at so many Grade 1 tracks, and two, if there was grass or gravel vs asphalt at the side of the track. Why not put up bollards or posts on the outside curbs like I saw with the inside curbs at Road America for example? Or make the outside where it's got less grip than the track surface?
Old 15 Jul 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3751491)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Red flag, yellow flag, who cares? It was when cars were traveling slowly and proceeding back to the pits. You're not supposed to run into someone when the track isn't green. Technically, you're not really supposed to when the track is green. But when it's not under racing conditions, you're supposed to stay in line and do what the race director says, be it stay in formation or proceed back to the pits in an orderly fashion.

I still don't agree with the ruling that the team should get a 7 minute stop and hold penalty when the offending driver can just be suspended for the rest of the weekend. As I've said, the ACO have set that precedent before.

I also think that Rusinov should've been suspended for Nurburgring instead of the team having to deal with a 3 minute stop and hold he caused.
Completely disagree. When a track is green it is accepted that the circuit is live and dangerous and accidents will happen. When a circuit is yellow, it is still a live circuit and you will be punished for anything serious. When a circuit is red it has the potential for something major to have happened and there should be absolutely no messing about. Comparing a track under red flag to a fully green circuit using the word "technically" is just being silly. Red flag yellow flag, who cares? Bloody everybody.

You win as a team, you lose as a team. Suspending drivers who pay bills just creates financial blackholes for teams.

Quote:
I also think, just like F1, that track limits wouldn't be an issue if one, they didn't race at so many Grade 1 tracks, and two, if there was grass or gravel vs asphalt at the side of the track. Why not put up bollards or posts on the outside curbs like I saw with the inside curbs at Road America for example? Or make the outside where it's got less grip than the track surface?
We go over this on a weekly basis. Everyone agrees that track limits suck. But at the same time, we're at a classic circuit here. If we want to go to circuits like Silverstone, Spa and the Nurburgring, then we have to accept those are Grade 1 and they're in the state they are in. We can't have it both ways, where we want to go to awesome circuits, then complain we're using Grade 1. The only real exception to that is the US, where there is other choices.

Bollards are worthless. They are removed within minutes of the race starting. Bollards are more about a visibility point for the driver to use than stopping track limits violations now.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3751494)   #55
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, maybe I should just give up on racing. Probably should have back in 2008.

As I said, it shouldn't make a difference if a race or session is under a yellow flag or a red flag, if you overtake someone, you should expect a penalty. You get caught speeding, expect a penalty. You hit someone, definitely expect a penalty. And if that means suspending a team's pay driver, so be it.

And I'm to the point of screw making tracks safer, make the cars safer if a series is that worried about it. Suzuka is a Grade 1 track and that didn't stop someone from dying as a result of an accident there fairly recently. Teams will abuse track limits if you allow them to, and penalizing them for it will only go so far. You can still have paved run off and have a "moat" of gravel or low grip material that will cause any limits violations to be punished with a spin or lost track position.

Last edited by chernaudi; 15 Jul 2017 at 17:10.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3751503)   #56
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Did not expect Toyota to get pole this time.
That looks good for the race tomorrow

I hope to be able to get a working stream tomorrow. Apart form Le Mans, I have not had much luck with that, this year.
Both for the official stream, and the rather less official ones...
Old 15 Jul 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3751505)   #57
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, maybe I should just give up on racing. .
I think you already have that thread.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3751509)   #58
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
G-Drive have lost pole position. Front skid block flexed too much. Insult to injury that one.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3751554)   #59
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Did not expect Toyota to get pole this time.
That looks good for the race tomorrow

I hope to be able to get a working stream tomorrow. Apart form Le Mans, I have not had much luck with that, this year.
Both for the official stream, and the rather less official ones...
I'm sure some youtubers will have the stream on live. Plus sport1 should have it too.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 04:33 (Ref:3751560)   #60
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

https://www.facebook.com/fiawec/vide...2336130156169/
Old 16 Jul 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3751597)   #61
wekatz
Rookie

wekatz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I said, it shouldn't make a difference if a race or session is under a yellow flag or a red flag, if you overtake someone, you should expect a penalty. You get caught speeding, expect a penalty. You hit someone, definitely expect a penalty. And if that means suspending a team's pay driver, so be it.
Maybe you should keep this in mind.

What happens when the suspended driver is the mandatory amateur/silver driver?
a) When the car is still allowed to participate in the race, the team will get an advantage over their opponents.
b) When the car is NOT allowed to participate in the race without a amateur/silver driver, the team will be penalized even more than with the current situation
Old 16 Jul 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3751601)   #62
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"GTE Pro and LMP2 poles under investigation"

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/20...investigation/
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3751607)   #63
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Great, more stupidity from both teams and the ACO--you either broke the rules or you didn't, so I find that the ACO doing a second scrutineers check to be redundant, and if so, why didn't the ACO officials call it yesterday?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3751617)   #64
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 already in Problems
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3751618)   #65
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
#2 slow to start, #8 not sounding healthy at all.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3751619)   #66
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#8 got a problem?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3751620)   #67
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These LMP1 cars are farcical, the budgets these teams spend and they can't even start a race 😭😭😭
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3751621)   #68
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Extra formation lap called.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3751622)   #69
Irie
Racer

Will he make it up the hill into the pits?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3751624)   #70
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Wonder if Buemi wished he was in New York yet?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3751625)   #71
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
He should just crawl up the hill. Another formation lap called.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3751627)   #72
Irie
Racer

Is he going on hybrid only?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3751628)   #73
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Sounds like #8 is possible done/out?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3751629)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
These LMP1 cars are farcical, the budgets these teams spend and they can't even start a race 😭😭😭
We've had plenty of more expensive F1 cars do that over the years. Its almost like technical things are difficult and fragile!
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3751630)   #75
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Green!