Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 Nov 2003, 14:53 (Ref:795092)   #51
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
I'm not so fond of the people who park inconsiderately either.
Staying with the inconsiderate parking theme, those kind people who drive into a 'pay and display' car park and stop at the first ticket machine just inside the entrance and get out of their car to buy their ticket, totally oblivious of the fact that they've just blocked the car park entrance and half-a-dozen other cars are now queueing while they fumble around in their pockets/handbag/whatever for the right change- just because they can't be bothered to park first and walk the huge distance of 20 yards from their chosen parking space to the nearest ticket machine ....

incidentally, given a half empty car park, why do so many people struggle to park in a space between two other cars, having ignored the 500 totally empty spaces around them?- I regularly find myself stuck behind people doing this in a local multi-storey- six attempts to squeeze their car into the tightest space imaginable, while there's enough space to park an aircraft carrier a few yards away.....

Last edited by KA; 26 Nov 2003 at 14:55.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:22 (Ref:795641)   #52
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My pet hate is dozy bloody women in a brand new Golf V6 4motion doing 40mph on a wide as hell 60mph straight!!! GRRRR get back into a 1litre Polo or something and get out my way
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:55 (Ref:795808)   #53
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My pet hate is Sunday drivers, I can go all season without losing it then at the end of the season when i get chance to drive around I see more silly incidents off the track than on.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 07:55 (Ref:795809)   #54
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah and people who run into the back of you and drive off aggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.........
Old 27 Nov 2003, 12:43 (Ref:796027)   #55
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Malc's
My pet hate is Sunday drivers
Do you mean the ones who race on Sunday after practice on Saturday?
Old 6 Dec 2003, 08:36 (Ref:805402)   #56
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen (green) - I totally agree with you about drivers who pull out at the same time as indicating - leaving you with very little time to take avoiding action, esp if the next lane has cars in it. Last Sunday a HGV driver did it to me & a while ago a driver towing a caravan.

Last edited by sunflower; 6 Dec 2003 at 08:37.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 16:30 (Ref:805596)   #57
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by sunflower
Stephen (green) - I totally agree with you about drivers who pull out at the same time as indicating - leaving you with very little time to take avoiding action, esp if the next lane has cars in it. Last Sunday a HGV driver did it to me & a while ago a driver towing a caravan.
I know what you mean, that one always really winds me up as well- I recently saw someone indicate AFTER they'd already started to pull out- I'd already managed to work out what they were doing by then.....
Old 7 Dec 2003, 18:58 (Ref:806136)   #58
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one came to me today - people who cut corners when turning right into side roads. Some people do it so badly they're actually driving into the other side of the road.

One driver once entered a side road directly head-on into my path - his wheels didn't even touch the correct side of the road. I knew who he was (not personally though) & was so angry I was tempted to turn round & drive after him to suggest taking an other driving test - considering you fail an L-test for that.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:48 (Ref:806292)   #59
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HGV drivers who let their indicators flash once (if at all) and then pull out regardless on the motorway.

I nearly got wiped on the M6 the other week when I had to stand on the anchors as 38 tonnes of truck pulled out on me. I didn't have enough time to check for any tailgaters (another pet hate).

One tip for dealing with tailgaters: If you know the road your are on, slow down by downshifting for bends. They soon drop back if they don't think your brake lights are working.

Last edited by Spudgun; 7 Dec 2003 at 23:48.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:02 (Ref:806302)   #60
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who speed up to close the gap when I try to pull out to overtake another truck, JCB, Granny etc, on a Dual Carriageway.
PS Spudgun the max weight for a UK truck not on STGO is now 44 tonnes and watch out for foreign trucks pulling out they night not have even seen you because of the blind spots on a lhd truck. I’m not going to defend truck drivers as I know there are ones that are bad, but I think for many people a day in the cab would be an eye opener to the problems and pleasures of driving a vehicle of that size and weight.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:22 (Ref:806307)   #61
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by medler

PS Spudgun the max weight for a UK truck not on STGO is now 44 tonnes and watch out for foreign trucks pulling out they night not have even seen you because of the blind spots on a lhd truck. I’m not going to defend truck drivers as I know there are ones that are bad, but I think for many people a day in the cab would be an eye opener to the problems and pleasures of driving a vehicle of that size and weight.
I understand your point there medler, but surely the situation of driving a foreign lhd truck on UK roads would lead to extra vigilence on the driver's part.

But on the other hand the truck that nearly smeared me across Birmingham did have UK plates and was RHD. I noticed that in my rear-view mirror as I expressed my bemusement once I got past.

As an addition to pet hates, the other thing is when a truck pulls out to pass another (usually uphill for added effect) it takes about 3 miles to do it. I affectionatly call it the 'Dance of Death'.

Last edited by Spudgun; 8 Dec 2003 at 00:23.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 14:29 (Ref:806677)   #62
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I never cease to be amazed at the ignorance of many car drivers with regard to the space required for an HGV to maneouvre/stop/overtake etc. I agree with medler - even an hour or so in an artic would teach many drivers a great deal. I don't think I've ever travelled in a full size truck, so even though I feel I have a good understanding I'm sure I'd learn something myself.

There is a significant rhs blind spot for lhd trucks which stretches from alongside the cab to at least halfway down the trailer. This can be helped with additional mirrors, but the blindspot is still there. So even the most vigilant driver may not see you. I guess the lesson is that right of way doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't take responsibility to avoid a potential conflict - never presume that because you think the driver can see you, he has.

It only takes a little planning to ensure you spend the minimum time in the danger zone alongside a truck. It can be difficult in heavyish traffic, but always look for an escape route (e.g. is it clear in lane 3?). If not and you're about to pass a truck, stay back until the lane in front of you is clear, then having ascertained that the truck doesn't want to pull out (is there slower traffic immediately ahead of him?), you can pass the truck and progress into clear space ahead.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 16:40 (Ref:806758)   #63
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
There is a significant rhs blind spot for lhd trucks which stretches from alongside the cab to at least halfway down the trailer. This can be helped with additional mirrors, but the blindspot is still there. So even the most vigilant driver may not see you.
A simple rule - if you can't see the driver in one of the mirrors, he can't see you.

Quote:
I guess the lesson is that right of way doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't take responsibility to avoid a potential conflict - never presume that because you think the driver can see you, he has.
...and that's even more important. Try riding a bike - you can have your headlight on, establish eye contact & they still pull out in front of you........
Old 15 Dec 2003, 15:38 (Ref:812257)   #64
Eau Rouge Flat
Rookie

Eau Rouge Flat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers that don't indicate!
Drivers that use the right hand lane at traffic lights and don't get their foot down when the road narrows!
Drivers using mobile phones!
Drivers using fog lights in the absence of any fog!
Drivers that pay no regard to cyclists!
Old 15 Dec 2003, 15:39 (Ref:812258)   #65
Eau Rouge Flat
Rookie

Eau Rouge Flat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and non-disabled drivers using disabled parking bays!