Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:04 (Ref:2506416)   #26
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So OP, still waiting for this something big?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:06 (Ref:2506417)   #27
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony View Post
Yes, I've always thought of Pamela Anderson as a Number Two.
Well, "two" things are normally associated with her...

You can't beat a good Aussie I reckon. NAC's photographic exploits might be the only exception.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:47 (Ref:2506423)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the world of risk management, does anyone besides me see a risk in having the 2 expensive drivers, and the sponsorship contract all concluding at the same time?

3 more years.........

Interesting stuff!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Jul 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2506431)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it does mean that in 3 years Roland can give up he wants.

Also if vodaphone dont re-new then he can let the drivers go.

there are positives and negatives to it from a risk managment point of view
Old 23 Jul 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2506462)   #30
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too much ... $$$s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
700k thats abit of a bargain for Roland.

Jaime wouldn't of been trying to push his price abit higher by threatening to go OS would he?????
No disrespect to Winky but $700k is too much to be paying the #1 driver in the category in my humble opinion, even though its has come down since the poaching days rewarded Craig Lowndes so well.

Yes, it is a subjective opinion.

Oh for the days when Aussies best got a seat at Le Mans ... is it a disrespect for the category?

Last edited by cavvy; 23 Jul 2009 at 08:39. Reason: clarification
Old 23 Jul 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2506464)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
how much should they be paid cavvy?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2506624)   #32
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
No disrespect to Winky but $700k is too much to be paying the #1 driver in the category in my humble opinion, even though its has come down since the poaching days rewarded Craig Lowndes so well.
Sure is. 2-3x the PM's wage, to drive a race car for a handful of weekends is pretty rich. Pretty cosy gig compare to the 60 something (?) races a year for double duty NASCAR drivers.

Perhaps 888 see it like this? Even though other drivers might have similar talent, they know Whincup is in the team, has the right chemistry with the engineers and is getting the job done. Beside by the time they build up Caruso or Coulthard's (etc) profile they would have already profitted the $450k difference in "whincup" branded cap sales!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2506644)   #33
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
I think you'll find a drivers role is more involved than just 'rock up and drive a few weekends a year'
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2506788)   #34
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so they're both signed for another 3 yrs...... yay!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2506884)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Money taken from AFL sponsorship pool

TC will be crowing about this for years to come!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2506933)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Does it suggest that the addtional funds might be used to run a 3rd car from that stable? If there is a merger with PCR in the wings... 888 may become a 4 car megateam...
Old 24 Jul 2009, 00:42 (Ref:2506942)   #37
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Mr McMellon (sp?) want out or more?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2506984)   #38
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
how much should they be paid cavvy?
I don't see a problem with them earning that much.

They should be paid whatever the marketplace is willing to, if they can get $1mill a year or whatever good on them
Old 24 Jul 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2506989)   #39
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree racer and from my perspective as a motorsport fan couldn't care much for what they are paid aslong as i get a good show on the track on raceday.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2507082)   #40
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
They should be paid whatever the marketplace is willing to, if they can get $1mill a year or whatever good on them
The top V8 drivers earning more than backmarker and/or rookie F1 drivers, when adjusted to US dollars seems a little odd though.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2507097)   #41
cavvy
Veteran

the dollars in motorsport ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I don't see a problem with them earning that much.

If the sport, the category even, was flush with money, as it was when Ford poached Holdens rising star, it did not matter.

Today $700k looks over the top ... would Winky do the job for $350k IF it was on a par with Lowndes & Tander, even his ex (flatmate).

How do these guys compare with Messrs Caruso, Coulthard & Holdsworth ?

PS: great result from Supercheap .........http://www.insideretailing.com.au/De...articleId=5827

Last edited by cavvy; 24 Jul 2009 at 11:34. Reason: grave overlooktion
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2507102)   #42
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some of the knockers here are peed off because the red side wont get a shot at signing whincup or lowndes for 3 years, and by that time CL will be ready to sign off and just do enduros and JDub will have the kitty full to do nascar.

also i think its smart 888 signing a telco for 3 years when some of our booze branded teams may be on shaky grounds with money if Krudds alcohol sponsorship ban gathers momentum.

at least i wont be wearing outdated merchandise any time soon!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2507140)   #43
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

I would think for a marketing exercise that whatever they pay for total coverage of 888, the top v8 team (two whole cars + team/personal branding) is better bang for buck than 1.4mill of a couple of small logos on the back of some footy jumpers of clubs from lower half of the AFl table with no real prospects in the next couple of seasons... Think of how many news reports, back pages of the paper and PR media events have featured the vodafone cars after winning races these past couple of years..
Old 24 Jul 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2507388)   #44
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

From humble beginnings... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XrNxgqZwn8 (~5:00) Fortunately 888 have learnt how to do a pit-stop at Bathurst since then (what clown allowed everybody and anybody to stand in the pit lane?).

Briggs certainly was not the richest or most competitive team when 888 purchased them, so all credit to 888 for building one of the biggest teams in Australian touring car racing.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2507391)   #45
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
the top v8 team is better bang for buck than 1.4mill of a couple of small logos on the back of some footy jumpers of clubs from lower half of the AFl table with no real prospects in the next couple of seasons...
If they sponsored the Power properly (say 3m p/a instead of 500,000 p/a) then maybe Port could continue to be a power-house. Continual budget cuts year on year for the Power's football dept can not be doing them any good, if only they had the budget of the crows or collingwood then they would show everybody and Vodafone would have their name in the papers...
Old 25 Jul 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2507458)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
From humble beginnings... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XrNxgqZwn8 (~5:00) Fortunately 888 have learnt how to do a pit-stop at Bathurst since then (what clown allowed everybody and anybody to stand in the pit lane?).

Briggs certainly was not the richest or most competitive team when 888 purchased them, so all credit to 888 for building one of the biggest teams in Australian touring car racing.
in many ways the need for safety in pit lane is well shown in the footage. was there a pit lane speed limit then. We dont here of many injuries in the pits in the current v8 series, which is a good thing.

There was a reasonable crowd there that weekend, but not as much as the v8 race
Old 25 Jul 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2507460)   #47
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
in many ways the need for safety in pit lane is well shown in the footage. was there a pit lane speed limit then. We dont here of many injuries in the pits in the current v8 series, which is a good thing.

There was a reasonable crowd there that weekend, but not as much as the v8 race
I'll admit i never really payed much attention to the touring cars before they were the V8s, but i only know of injuries in recent times, not pre V8 days (ie pre speed limit and personnel limit)
Old 25 Jul 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2507461)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
stealthy if you think of the injuries from current day they are not car/person contact injuries.

This has been a big improvemnet, although it is still common in other series
Old 25 Jul 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2507476)   #49
cavvy
Veteran

just how much bang for buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
I would think for a marketing exercise that whatever they pay for total coverage of 888, the top v8 team (two whole cars + team/personal branding) is better bang for buck than 1.4mill of a couple of small logos on the back of some footy jumpers of clubs from lower half of the AFl table with no real prospects in the next couple of seasons... Think of how many news reports, back pages of the paper and PR media events have featured the vodafone cars after winning races these past couple of years..
Remember Betta Electrical got similar coverage & went into receivership.

No doubting the professionalism of T888 in servicing the sponsors needs !
Old 26 Jul 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2508628)   #50
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i herd a whisper lowndes is still talking to ford to market falcons!