Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2887516)   #1
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
McArthur252 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco - Obsolete: discuss

As much as it saddens me, as it should any F1 fan, I couldnt help but feel Monaco has become an obsolete circuit in need of several changes in order to maintain its place in F1 (as it rightfully should).
As a spectical it is un-matched, as a race track i think it lacks quite alot. Obviously after this weekend there should be safety concerns after 2 drives being knocked out and another near-miss. (Have to say though, the marshals did an incredible job shifting Maldonaldo's Williams within 1 lap!)

Although still "the jewel in the F1 crown", with multi-billions being spent at Abu Dabi et al, it's no longer the only show piece event of the year.

Please someone convince me otherwise, but despite the exciting race today, i can't see F1 staying in Monaco for many more years. At least not without several changes.

Opinions ladies and gentlemen?
Old 29 May 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2887521)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I can't see Monaco disappearing any time soon. It remains the jewel in the crown of F1. The drivers (in the main) enjoy it and it is extremely valuable to the teams in terms of attracting sponsorship. Plus, it can produce good races, as it did today.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2887536)   #3
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will race at Monaco 100 years from now, long long after Abu Dhabi has disappeared in the sand or beneath a new apartment development

Seriously, now with overtaking added to the mix, the place is just irreplaceable. There is no other F1 circuit where the results always remains in doubt as anyone, including the world champions can have last minute accidents. If you can't handle a circuit which punishes mistakes with a crash, I'm not sure why you are watching this sport in the first place.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2887549)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Monaco will always be on the calendar it's a very historical racing venue..

You would have to visit to appreciate and fully understand what these drivers accomplish around the streets of the principality..

It's an impossible place to hold a F1 race which is what makes it so special..
Old 29 May 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2887550)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think F1 has been lucky when it comes to incidents in the past few years there. I can't really remember the last crash fest at Monaco. Probably the race where Sato's engine blew in the Honda and about 4 cars were totalled after Tabac, not sure what year that was, maybe 2006.

No one got seriously hurt, so game on. Footballers get more serious injuries than what Petrov and Perez got. Maybe they should ban tackling too.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2887552)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monaco is an excellent place to hold a race. I see it as a better layout than Abu Dhabi which is not a 'true' street circuit.

Welcome to Ten-Tenths McArthur 252.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2887558)   #7
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
I didnt say i didn't enjoy the race today. i loved it. I also want it to stay on the calender, as there is no other place like it with any where near the history of it.
merely pointing out that the track looked old this weekend, and at no point do you want to see drivers injured. mistakes punished, yes, but not through a trip to hospital.

just seen Petrov wasnt knocked out, good to hear.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2887560)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur252 View Post
I didnt say i didn't enjoy the race today. i loved it. I also want it to stay on the calender, as there is no other place like it with any where near the history of it.
merely pointing out that the track looked old this weekend, and at no point do you want to see drivers injured. mistakes punished, yes, but not through a trip to hospital.

just seen Petrov wasnt knocked out, good to hear.

Motor racing is dangerous..
Old 29 May 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2887561)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to safety, not the tracks or calendar should be changed but the cars instead.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2887562)   #10
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Footballers get more serious injuries than what Petrov and Perez got. Maybe they should ban tackling too.
They're trying!

thank you for the welcome. always come on here, thought it was time i got involved!
Old 29 May 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2887563)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No. Never.
Old 29 May 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2887570)   #12
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Monaco is an excellent place to hold a race. I see it as a better layout than Abu Dhabi which is not a 'true' street circuit.
Abu Dhabi isn't a street circuit at all.....are you confusing it with Singapore?
Old 29 May 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2887577)   #13
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur252 View Post
As much as it saddens me, as it should any F1 fan, I couldnt help but feel Monaco has become an obsolete circuit in need of several changes in order to maintain its place in F1 (as it rightfully should).
As a spectical it is un-matched, as a race track i think it lacks quite alot. Obviously after this weekend there should be safety concerns after 2 drives being knocked out and another near-miss. (Have to say though, the marshals did an incredible job shifting Maldonaldo's Williams within 1 lap!)

Although still "the jewel in the F1 crown", with multi-billions being spent at Abu Dabi et al, it's no longer the only show piece event of the year.

Please someone convince me otherwise, but despite the exciting race today, i can't see F1 staying in Monaco for many more years. At least not without several changes.

Opinions ladies and gentlemen?
This is the first year since 2003 that an f1 car has hit the barrier that Perez hit. This year there was an elevated amount of accidents than in previous years but many would have been advoided had the bump after the tunnel been flatter.
Old 29 May 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2887591)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
Abu Dhabi isn't a street circuit at all.....are you confusing it with Singapore?
I was thinking of Abu Dhabi due to the reference McArthur252 made to it in a comparison in the opening post. I would rate it better than Singapore though too, and Valencia (which is also not that much a street circuit).
Old 29 May 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2887608)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They could always brake earlier before the bump.
Old 29 May 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2887613)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Give me Monaco 100 times over the soul-less track that is Abu Dhabi.

Yes we seen a couple of accidents that hospitalised drivers (I can't remember the last Monaco GP, or any other where that happened in recent times) but the important thing is that when that happened the back up was there to address that.
Old 29 May 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2887616)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Give me Monaco 100 times over the soul-less track that is Abu Dhabi.

Yes we seen a couple of accidents that hospitalised drivers (I can't remember the last Monaco GP, or any other where that happened in recent times) but the important thing is that when that happened the back up was there to address that.
I agree the marshals and corner workers are second to none in Monaco..
Old 29 May 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2887622)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
When it comes to safety, not the tracks or calendar should be changed but the cars instead.
Agreed. But it's getting the teams to agree on something that's the difficult bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They could always brake earlier before the bump.
Or later.
Old 29 May 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2887626)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Agreed. But it's getting the teams to agree on something that's the difficult bit.
You seem to be suggesting that the teams get in the way of safety developments. There are practically none or minor examples of this. Or at least there are many more examples where they have embrassed and pushed forward safety.
Old 29 May 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2887649)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You seem to be suggesting that the teams get in the way of safety developments.
No. I'm not saying that the teams are standing in the way of safety developments. Only that if left to their own devices, it probably wouldn't come very high on the list of things to do at a TWG meeting.

I suspect the bits that the teams can't ever agree on is because they never can get a word in edgeways over that annoying Elephant in the room.
Old 29 May 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2887653)   #21
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This race is a big reason, maybe the only reason there wasn't a split a couple of years ago. It pays the bills and in F1 that's everything. On the Speed gridwalk Will Buxton asked Mika Hakkinen about the race and I thought he was never going to shut up. Anything that can get Mika Hakkinen to ramble must be quite something indeed. It's not going anywhere, nor should it.
Old 29 May 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2887679)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
do we have to wait until a top driver is killed before the monaco GP is allowed to pass into history, after this weekend I think that will be soon
Old 29 May 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2887684)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you think that might be a little over reaction?
Old 29 May 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2887686)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Ive always said; there is one safety "set of rules" for F1, and another set for all other motorsport. IRL, ALMS, Formula Ford, F3 - all race on tracks that are far quicker and more dangerous than Monaco.
Old 29 May 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2887698)   #25
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone were killed changes would be made to the cars, circuit and or the regulations. There's no way they're getting rid of this race. There's too much history (read: money). If it were certain someone was going to die every race that would be different. But there's no way they'll stop it on the small chance it might happen.