Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2892975)   #1
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 Grand Prix of Mexico

People, don't be surprised if in the next days the 2012 Grand Prix of México is announced in the next days to be run a weekend after the GP of USA. Charlie Whiting has already inspected the track this morning and the top officials of the racetrack say that there are just minor details to be adjusted. The configuration would be the CART one with a longer course at the baseball stadium.

fROM THE TRACK'S fACEBOOK AN HOUR AGO: "OFICIAL - Muy buena visita de Charlie Whiting al AHR, sólo modificaciones menores, CIE con la firme intención de traer F-1 a México!!!!".

Hopefully it does happen, I'd go crazy if yes but let's wait for an official FIA announcement of a Gran Premio de México!
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2892989)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Mexican GP at Mexico City would be a nice surprise for sure. This track is the ultimate challenge for engines. And drivers, too, if they were to include the Peraltada. A1GP used to run in that corner. I guess they have had it equipped with a SAFER barrier like an oval circuit. However, I'm not sure if that would be enough for the slender F1 cars.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2892995)   #3
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, on the same day as Jean Todt says there will be 20 races in 2012, not 21, A random rumour about a Mexican GP occurs. I would LOVE it if we went back to Mexico, I'd expect MASSIVE crowds and a huge reception for Sergio, but I can't see it happening. This just seems a bit pie in the sky.

Needless to say though, I'd go crazy with delight if I was wrong.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2893032)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
A Mexican GP at Mexico City would be a nice surprise for sure. This track is the ultimate challenge for engines. And drivers, too, if they were to include the Peraltada. A1GP used to run in that corner. I guess they have had it equipped with a SAFER barrier like an oval circuit. However, I'm not sure if that would be enough for the slender F1 cars.
Havn't they rid of that corner now, unfortunately? I'm sure there's a chicane there instead due to a baseball stadium being built in the corner. I'm not 100% whether it's perminant, though. I seem to remember seeing some clips from the onboards in CART, and it looked pretty shut off.

However, i'm slightly skepticle like the others about this news. I'd be surprised to have not heard any rumours or anything of the sort beforehand.

But, if this is true (and thank you if it is), fantastic news.

Selby
Old 7 Jun 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2893082)   #5
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Quote:
Originally Posted by daallo View Post
People, don't be surprised if in the next days the 2012 Grand Prix of México is announced in the next days to be run a weekend after the GP of USA. Charlie Whiting has already inspected the track this morning and the top officials of the racetrack say that there are just minor details to be adjusted. The configuration would be the CART one with a longer course at the baseball stadium.

fROM THE TRACK'S fACEBOOK AN HOUR AGO: "OFICIAL - Muy buena visita de Charlie Whiting al AHR, sólo modificaciones menores, CIE con la firme intención de traer F-1 a México!!!!".

Hopefully it does happen, I'd go crazy if yes but let's wait for an official FIA announcement of a Gran Premio de México!
would you mind providing a link to the facebook page? I can't find the darn thing on there, probably because it's in spanish.

Thanks
Old 7 Jun 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2893097)   #6
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there's anything going on in Mexico, I'd speculate it has to do with having a backup plan in the event Austin can't be ready in June. I can't see them adding another race to an already over-filled calendar, and with the Austin promoters playing up the proximity of the race to Mexican fans who could come out to see Pérez, I don't think they'd be too pleased with a Mexican Grand Prix. I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but logic is pointing me toward this waiting in the wings for any pending USGP failures, if there's anything to be made of it.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2893223)   #7
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aut%C...03979446347134

It's everywhere in the Mexican media, supposedly, just details would have to be corrected but 2012 is a possiblity...I really don't want to believe until it's official but at least Whiting DID come, the track owners have said they want to bring it and Carlos Slim Domit has said there is progress so it all looks good.

http://www.record.com.mx/tmf/2011-06...ergar-gp-de-f1
Old 8 Jun 2011, 04:30 (Ref:2893225)   #8
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if Mexican media read too much into it but it is Whiting's job, rather than just hitting the button for the start routine at F1 races, to inspect race circuits for the FIA.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2893272)   #9
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
If there's anything going on in Mexico, I'd speculate it has to do with having a backup plan in the event Austin can't be ready in June. I can't see them adding another race to an already over-filled calendar, and with the Austin promoters playing up the proximity of the race to Mexican fans who could come out to see Pérez, I don't think they'd be too pleased with a Mexican Grand Prix. I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but logic is pointing me toward this waiting in the wings for any pending USGP failures, if there's anything to be made of it.
This is a sensible proposition actually, It would make perfect sense to go to mexico if Austin went wrong. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Thanks for the link by the way daallo
Old 8 Jun 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2893277)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Given that there will only be no more than 20 races in 2012, I can't see where Mexico is going to fit in.

I still can't believe that there is not a French GP!

Last edited by Marbot; 8 Jun 2011 at 08:10.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2893292)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps he is just there to make recommendations for the track to make grade 1 status. As much as I think its already suitable for F1 cars (in my opinion), the track will probably hold an FIA Grade 2 Liscence just now. Not so sure about the 2012 calendar though..

Still, Mexico would be a fantastic place to have a race, it would be a race with a massive crowd and a great atmosphere, and there are a few races on the current calendar that could easily be replaced by this.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2893317)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I was about to say, isn't Charlie Whiting responsible for track inspection as far as awarding Grades are concerned?

It could just be a case of it turning in to a Grade 1 track, meaning it'd be capable of holding an F1 race.

Selby
Old 8 Jun 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2893333)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They wont go to Mexico City. It has too much character and is a bit of a challenge for drivers.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2893336)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It has too much character and is a bit of a challenge for drivers.
And that's before they've even seen the circuit!
Old 8 Jun 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2893341)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They wont go to Mexico City. It has too much character and is a bit of a challenge for drivers.
lmao Brilliant

Selby
Old 8 Jun 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2893443)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If Bahrain doesn't settle down, that's one race off for 2012 as well. And if Turkey goes, that's two, which would leave 20 if Mexico and the US are added.

We've also heard that China is NOT keen on their race continuing to be a money-losing proposition. Valencia want to be rid of their race for what it's costing them, and the same seems to be the case with Singapore, at least once their current contract is up at the end of next season.

As for Mexico specifically, it makes ZERO sense to even look at the upgrades, unless you are looking at a serious bid for an actual F1 Grand Prix.

Yes, Peraltada should still be there; Grand-Am and NASCAR Nationwide used it (without the CART/CCWS chicane) as recently as 2008.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2893452)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Isn't there a chicane put in place just beforehand instead as a comprimise?

Selby
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2893460)   #18
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the Texan GP almost the Mexican GP?

Wait a minute...
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2893470)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they're going to Mexico I hope they bring enough protection. And I'm not talking about the rubber kind of protection, especially if they are shipping the equipment by truck through the north of Mexico.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2893535)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That's why they're stopping in Texas first, so they can stock up on firepower.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2893555)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Isn't there a chicane put in place just beforehand instead as a comprimise?

Selby
LOL no.

They'd bypass the Peratalda for sure, unfortunately, because you know that it's sooooooo dangerous, when two weeks ago they were at Monaco, a track supposedly far safer.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2893657)   #22
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
If they're going to Mexico I hope they bring enough protection. And I'm not talking about the rubber kind of protection, especially if they are shipping the equipment by truck through the north of Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
That's why they're stopping in Texas first, so they can stock up on firepower.
lol
Old 8 Jun 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2893732)   #23
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
As for Mexico specifically, it makes ZERO sense to even look at the upgrades, unless you are looking at a serious bid for an actual F1 Grand Prix.
As far as I am aware Charlie Whiting is ONLY connected with F1 - does he have an official track inspection FIA role? (He is F1 Race Director, although also a Safety Delegate I believe). Or only a FOM employee role? (I may be wrong, but as an ex-employee of Brabham and an old mate of Bernie, I guess FOM pay his salary - not the FIA)

I would surmise that if Mexico was not looking seriously at an F1 race bid, Charlie would not have been there..........

Last edited by phoenix; 8 Jun 2011 at 17:57.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2893770)   #24
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
Peraltada is still there with less banking and it was used for the last A1GP and Champ Car races putting a chicane before it however the chicane can be skipped since it's in the inside so the Peraltada is still there and is used by NASCAR Corona Series and was used by the Busch series back then.

The track promoters are very serious with that plan...

And yeah, I guess they'd have escolts (does tat word exist?) to protect them from Texas through the border cities. After that it's all good and México City is pretty safe as long as you don't go to specific places that exist in every major city of the World and are dangerous.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2893916)   #25
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I suppose it would be nice to see the old Mexico circuit back. Certainly better than a lot of the beloved Tilkedromes that we have. I think you could run the old style circuit still, without the chicanes and turns in the Peraltada corner - I admit, I don't think it would happen though. I do think, you could make it a lot safer, with the better run off area technology there is now. Another reason that will count against it, is the BUMPS! It is a really bumpy circuit! Nowadays, drivers are so used to having a smooth surface, they would complain and whinge about it. A shame, but I don't think the Mexico circuit will be back in F1 again.