Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Dec 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3348275)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MG Car Club MG Live

The annual MG International Festival.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3414113)   #2
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG90, June 21st and 22nd

MG Live! goes MG90 this year to celebrate 90 years of Britain's more famous sports car marque. All the usual MG races and displays plus a 40 minute all comers enduro and races for Ferraris and Porsche.
All on the full Silverstone GP circuit.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3420797)   #3
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
The entry list looks great and lots of special displays as well. Looking forward to it!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3422339)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
do you have a link to any entry lists please?

EDIT - pdf link from here
http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/rac...r-information/

Last edited by MGDavid; 16 Jun 2014 at 00:07. Reason: found it!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3422622)   #5
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in - doing the BCV8 FIA and Equipe GTS - anyone else?
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3422980)   #6
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Having a year out this year. Cost and I don't like the full GP circuit. Done it four times now. Too long. I loved the Bridge format. I will be there helping organise though.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3422983)   #7
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
you are not the first to say that about the GP circuit. I might take a newspaper to look at down Hangar Straight
Old 17 Jun 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3423140)   #8
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
.........I might take a newspaper to look at down Hangar Straight

But then you might miss me hurtling past you

I'm doing both Ecurie races in the Elite, and the Iconic 50s/Fiscar Fliers race on Sunday in the Mk IX.

And this is after I've tried to break the habit of taking two cars to a meeting by selling my double decker trailer. But then some might say that if you're taking a Lotus to a meeting, you better take a spare on the assumption that the cars live up to their reputation of fragility.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3423266)   #9
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
I'll save you the sports page Brian... Was thinking of the GTS race too but the expense and time over the w/e may be a bit much... Unless someone fancies a shared drive??
Old 23 Jun 2014, 05:47 (Ref:3425205)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, terrific weather and loads of races, great cars and displays and activities, virtually none of which I had more than a glimpse of seeing as I was so involved with the cars and drivers in the splendid Iconic 50s race. I always feel that this is one of the greatest kept secrets of club racing despite MGCCs best efforts at publicising the event.

The only race I got to see all of was the Iconic 50s to which FISCAR contributed a good proportion of the grid. In an eventful race which had 3 different leaders, and some great racing down the field, Brian Arculus prevailed. After suffering the disappointment of a failed start in the Ecurie GTS race with his Elite (clutch slip) and thus his self fulfilling prophesy above (time to buy that trailer back, Brian), he made up for it by taking the shapely Lotus Mk IX to victory ahead of Alex Quattlebaum's LECo2, thus making it a FLIER 1- 2 and reversing the result from last Autumn's Castle Combe race.

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Jun 2014 at 16:13.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3425258)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few pics from the FLIERS/Iconic50s race.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7558SS.jpg   IMG_7565SS.jpg   IMG_7579SS.jpg  

IMG_7584SS.jpg   IMG_7595SS.jpg   IMG_7601SS.jpg  

Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3425261)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7622SS.jpg   IMG_7628SS.jpg   IMG_7662SS.jpg  

IMG_7727SS.jpg   IMG_7728SS.jpg   IMG_7729SS.jpg  

Old 23 Jun 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3425575)   #13
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures John and as you mention a superb weekend from all aspects, on track and with all the off track activities and events combined with the beautiful weather.

A big thank you, on behalf of all the team in Race Control, to all the marshals and Silverstone ES teams and indeed all the competitors who all worked so well together to ensure that everything went to timetable in such hot conditions.

Terry
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3425794)   #14
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Possibly the best MG event at Silverstone of the many I've been to. Huge crowds on Saturday, a bit quieter on Sunday for some reason. The first MG Silverstone I've missed competing in but I helped out in race admin during the mornings. There is a hige amount of work going on int here to keep the event going smoothly and the days both finished ahead of the (very tight) schedule. Really well done.
I enjoyed the Flyers/Iconic race. Good mix of cars but perhaps a bit light on numbers and a lot of retirments. Was it too long or hot for these cars which maninly did shorter races in period?
What's the history of the GOMM Jaguar, a car that is new to me but perhaps should have gone a bit quicker?
Old 24 Jun 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3426065)   #15
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Cracking day out . The first time I have raced there ( the last time the gearbox seized causing untold expense and delay in getting the car going again). Had a wonderful time and on the gp track too ( although a fraction big for us mortals with fia cars). Sadly only did one race (fia class in the BCV8 series)as the entry fees for the Ecurie GTS were a step too far unless I shared the drive.

The only slight negative I would say ( and I hope this is taken as a constructive observation) was that there were a lot of official looking aids wearing all the hi vis gear but not many of them seemed to know what was what . They were all very earnestly keen but it was very apparent that many of them had not received instruction on the ins and outs if the areas they were patrolling.

The memorial to the racer in the B C V 8 series which resulted in a minutes silence on the grid demonstrates the point in question. A wonderful gesture but no one including the marshals in the assembly area seemed to know anything about it. The result was that having assembled all the cars on the grid all the drivers dismounted and took off helmets and gloves to pay their respects. The size of the grid with 60 odd cars then meant that by the time we were all back in the cars and having strapped ourselves back in (quite difficult in a confined cockpit in twenty five degree heat) there was confusion as to whether there was a green flag lap or the off. Those from the halfway point could not see the starter and with all the engines and drivers overheating many had switched off and had their doors open.

In retrospect it was probably quite amusing to see the back half of the grid suddenly realise the race had started and the sight of seeing a substantial amount of the entry hastily slamming doors and starting engines trying to take off was probably reminiscent of a fighter squadron scrambling for take off in the last war!
Old 25 Jun 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3426093)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the process around the minute's silence was explained in the Finals issued at sign-on but I suppose the old joke about drivers not reading them is true. (I did, as I was somebody's spanner for the weekend).
Old 25 Jun 2014, 06:28 (Ref:3426166)   #17
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks

Ahhh so that's where it was hiding.....actually I did read them but the actual process was not spelt out in words of one syllable. Being a humble legal man myself I find documentation most confusing... A spoken word goes a long way. However none of the marshals knew either!

On the occasion I asked another gaggle of chaps clad in day glow green about the track parade (as a thank you to my helper's lad I said I would take him on the track parade). No one knew anything about the process despite being positioned at the entrance to the track parade!!the standard answer was "oh you'll have to ask so and so as I'm only here helping out"!! After being shunted all over the field and getting the same response from everyone (including I might add the lady standing behind the club stand which was where I eventually discovered one had to go to register ) I gave up.

No this is not a rant. I am genuinely grateful for the club putting on the show and such an event needs bodies to make it all work but my point is that if you are going to the trouble of organising all the helpers/volunteers (all of whom seemed lovely people) then they should be made a little more aware of what is happening in their immediate surroundings.

One racer commented to me that there were 14 people in race admin all of whom were volunteers (being put up in hotels for the night-not sure if that is accurate) but very few of whom seemed to be doing anything or know much about the process they wee supposed to be administering. The racer concerned shall remain anonymous but having being up there several times myself for one reason or another due to my own disorganisation (!) I have to say that I concur with his obs!

Look , the whole event is wonderful and a tribute to a worldwide club. To run an event like that takes a huge amount of organisation and the fact that everything seemed to run to time (ish) is testimony to the organisation in general. However as a final polish I would venture to recommend a little more detailed instruction to key personnel "on the ground".
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3426221)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
I enjoyed the Flyers/Iconic race. Good mix of cars but perhaps a bit light on numbers and a lot of retirments. Was it too long or hot for these cars which maninly did shorter races in period?
What's the history of the GOMM Jaguar, a car that is new to me but perhaps should have gone a bit quicker?
The race content was a little light although still in its 20s. Two reasons; the class structure and format was agreed rather later than ideal and 4 cars entered pulled out before the day, and we lost two more in qualifying. Two of the cars retired through the first lap accident, another with gearbox maladies and one with blown head gasket. Not sure of the other two DNFs at this time.

The Gomm Jaguar did not exist as an entity in that form in period but all the major components that make it up did. In effect it's two 1955 cars put together and done rather well I feel. The body was built by Maurice Gomm in 1955 and fitted to an Alta GP chassis and running gear. As you can imagine there was no way, when values started to rise, that the chassis and running gear would not be recovered for an Alta rebuild. The body was then dropped onto a Cunningham chassis but never ran with it. Ben Shuckburgh acquired the Cunningham chassis for his fabulous C4R and Charles Fripp acquired the body and placed it on a pretty standard 1955 XK 140 chassis/engine/gearbox dif etc. The only deviation from the XK140 running gear is that it has XK150 front suspension. Thus we have a 1955 body of historical interest mated to a 1955 Jaguar. Whilst this may bother the purists, I contend that the car is every bit as 1950s as some we see out there and that we have the opportunity of seeing this one off body in a period context when it might otherwise have been scrapped or hung up on a wall. The car, being standard XK is not going to be that quick (3.4 on twin SUs and standard head) but Charles, who just wants the fun of racing it occasionally, will no doubt get a bit quicker with seat/track time.

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Jun 2014 at 16:00.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3426354)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've raced there when the opportunity arises since 1990. The organisation has ever been the same. You do suffer frustrations, but essentially, you are part of something that is a secret of the calendar. The club has worked marvels, whilst still retaining the amateur aspect of a club. Compare it with the Bentley Drivers Club.

The event deserves its place on the calendar and if we can support it for all of its faults, we should continue so to do.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3426359)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Agreed!
Old 25 Jun 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3426372)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
John, is the Gomm Jag in your excellent pics?
Old 25 Jun 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3426378)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I find the people in the hi viz jackets are full of their own importance and generally quite a long way up their own posteriors and think they are running a Rolls Royce meeting not an MG do. One such example is one year they decided to change the route to assembly but didn't tell anyone. I got stopped by the medical centre and was turned round and told to follow the road through the car park by the main entrance road. I thought the assembly area must have been moved but after a large detour ended up about ten feet from my original point, behind Mr Important and went into the normal assembly area gate. It's all been the same since I started going about 10 years ago but if you take it all with a pinch of salt and don't expect too much you get on fine.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3426383)   #23
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Compare it with the Bentley Drivers Club.

Heaven forbid

The event deserves its place on the calendar and if we can support it for all of its faults, we should continue so to do.[/QUOTE]

Quite agree - and I will!!
Old 25 Jun 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3426384)   #24
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
John, is the Gomm Jag in your excellent pics?

Here's a picture of it - courtesy of the wife (also known as my personal photographer).......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4087.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3426401)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Here's a picture of it - courtesy of the wife (also known as my personal photographer).......

Thanks Brian! Looks good, and very period. Interesting history adds to it!