Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 2019, 05:42 (Ref:3897574)   #3151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What is noticeable from the english seasons is that they started with "let's buy a wreck and hide the misery with some polish and make a huge profit" something we call maquillage-make up and moved to real restorations involving a lot of mechanical interventions and skilled artisans too.
That's why many of us France were so much amazed. When you're leaving in a desert starving for infos or skills its strange to see a healthy neighbor…
That’s what impressed me about the 3 episodes I’ve just watched- for instance, when Edd converted the MGA crankshaft rear seal to a modern viton one. I can see why that wouldn’t appeal to some producers, but for anyone with ‘spanner fingers’, it was of far more interest than the off the shelf chrome wire wheels.....

Changing the subject- If that American golfer’s name gets mentioned once more on TV or radio, I’m going to scream.......
Old 15 Apr 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3897575)   #3152
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suggesting we're not out of the Woods yet?
Old 15 Apr 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3897582)   #3153
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Oh My Lord, I touch wood for that not happen…
Old 15 Apr 2019, 06:30 (Ref:3897584)   #3154
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike thank you so much for showing me I'm not the only one thinking that! Five Live this morning, he's featured in business, sport and general.

Of course it was on the radio overnight and they don't have much top level sport on the BBC these days.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Apr 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3897585)   #3155
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Mike thank you so much for showing me I'm not the only one thinking that! Five Live this morning, he's featured in business, sport and general.

Of course it was on the radio overnight and they don't have much top level sport on the BBC these days.
Bring on the puns!

The Masters last round was probably more exciting the Chinese GP, so I'll give them that , but I still remember all the less pleasant things getting publicity 10 odd years ago. Hardly a roll model then.....
Old 15 Apr 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3897592)   #3156
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you like the puns just wait a bit, bauble will strike back!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3897606)   #3157
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If you like the puns just wait a bit, bauble will strike back!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3897610)   #3158
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've read that Gerry Marshall's "Old Nail" Firenza failed to sell at the Bonham's auction at Goodwood MM. Apparently it only got bids up to £78,000, not reaching it's reserve price that I think was around £90,000.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3897612)   #3159
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I've read that Gerry Marshall's "Old Nail" Firenza failed to sell at the Bonham's auction at Goodwood MM. Apparently it only got bids up to £78,000, not reaching it's reserve price that I think was around £90,000.
I wondered if it had sold. There was a promo pic of Gregor and the car in one of the monthly mags, which, as happens, I read after the event!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3897614)   #3160
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
If I remember correctly, 'Old Nail' was on display at the Donington Collection, but of course the museum was closed some time ago...
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3897617)   #3161
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
If I remember correctly, 'Old Nail' was on display at the Donington Collection, but of course the museum was closed some time ago...

That was possibly whilst the Marshall family owned it, DTV having presented it to Gerry way back in the past. The family sold it to a private buyer back in 2010/11 and who had it restored to "original" racing condition, since when it has been raced 3 times including once at Goodwood.

It was of interest to me because I competed against Gerry many times, but I had stopped racing just before "Old Nail" made it's first appearance. Gerry was actually about the only racer I kept in touch with after I stopped, and would drop in to see him at work whenever I passed by the showrooms where he was at that time, mainly Marshall, Wingfield near Henlys Corner in North London.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 15 Apr 2019 at 11:21.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3897618)   #3162
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That was possibly whilst the Marshall family owned it, DTV having presented it to Gerry way back in the past. The family sold it to a private buyer back in 2010/11 and who had it restored to "original" racing condition, since when it has been raced 3 times including once at Goodwood.
OK Mike, thanks for the clarification. It was certainly a car I enjoyed watching racing back in the day.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3897619)   #3163
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK Mike, thanks for the clarification. It was certainly a car I enjoyed watching racing back in the day.

It was the man not the machine that was of more interest to me. Gerry was one of those drivers that seem to be able to get more out of their mounts than they are reasonably able. Ash Sutton very much reminds me of him.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3897620)   #3164
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it depends on what floats your boat. Certainly Gerry was one of a kind. Sutton has his own style too, whatever the result
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3897627)   #3165
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ash is somewhat less large though. I have find memories of Gerry not only from the racetrack. He was equally entertaining with a pint in his hand in the pub. Definitely larger than life.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3897628)   #3166
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
It was the man not the machine that was of more interest to me. Gerry was one of those drivers that seem to be able to get more out of their mounts than they are reasonably able. Ash Sutton very much reminds me of him.
I agree Mike, Gerry was my hero (hence choosing my sign-on name for here), so I always looked out for him racing even if he wasn't driving a Vauxhall!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3897631)   #3167
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I recall one MG Car Club meeting where he chased down one of the full race V8 MGBs and overtook it for the lead. Gerry was driving an Aston Martin DB4GT on Dunlop Ms. The MGB was on Slicks.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3897633)   #3168
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ash is somewhat less large though. I have find memories of Gerry not only from the racetrack. He was equally entertaining with a pint in his hand in the pub. Definitely larger than life.
Well, the current owner of Baby Bertha can tell a tale or two about GM, and I can remember the man at Willhire 24hr races! Not sure I’d compare Gerry with anyone. A complete one off, in my opinion, and all the more memorable for it.

Interesting piece by Doug Nye in latest Motorport about a German company that can ‘date’ steel (and possibly other metals) with spectrographic analysis, and therefore make a pretty good guess at the chassis or body originality of old cars. No doubt not a new procedure, but what they have done is build a database for various manufacturers and models, so a comparison can be made if required. Sounds like a good plan if buying anything with a lot of zeros in the price......
Old 15 Apr 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3897641)   #3169
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I've known Joe for a good few years too.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 13:17 (Ref:3897647)   #3170
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Bring on the puns!
Hardly a roll model then.....

From what I recall of the reports back in the day I vaguely remember that he was, wasn't he? His then wife seemed to think so.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3897650)   #3171
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Bring on the puns!

Hardly a roll model then.....

Wood that be a log roll, then?
Old 15 Apr 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3897674)   #3172
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go get him, Tiger!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 15:28 (Ref:3897692)   #3173
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah do what you can mate
Old 15 Apr 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3897708)   #3174
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Theresa may, but Tiger would.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3897711)   #3175
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place