Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3026157)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VHRR Phillip Island Classic - March 9th - 11th

As Delta said to me I am indeed a jammy git ....

I'll be at a conference in Hong Kong that finishes on Thursday 8th March, then supposed to be going to Fiji (hard life!) for a meeting the following Monday, before going to Oz on the Tuesday. Well Fiji got cancelled, so what shall I do with the weekend? Obviously go and see some mates at Phillip Island for a beer! But it's a testament to the international FJ community that when I emailed a couple of guys they refused to countenance me just spectating ... Kim Shearn and Roger Ealand both offered their Lotus 18s, VHRR accepted a late entry, and the tickets/passes arrived in the post this morning! Awesome, it's a great meeting on a great circuit, I never thought I'd get back there so soon! I wonder if I can find out how to take Lukey Heights this year, I was a bit slow through there last year!?

What a great sport we choose, massive thanks to everyone who's made this possible for me.

Come and say hello if you're there, (EB?), FJ number 57, Lotus 18 in traditional Lotus colours. Marquee AM40.

James
Old 15 Feb 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3026177)   #2
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You jammy bu66er!!
Old 15 Feb 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3026179)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's ok you can type "bugger"!
Old 17 Feb 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3026890)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Awesome, it's a great meeting on a great circuit, I never thought I'd get back there so soon! I wonder if I can find out how to take Lukey Heights this year, I was a bit slow through there last year!?

Come and say hello if you're there, (EB?), FJ number 57, Lotus 18 in traditional Lotus colours. Marquee AM40.

James
I'll be there, competing in the Bob Holden Motors Corolla Sprinter Group A Touring car #43.

I still haven't worked out Lukey Heights either.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3027422)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be spectating (pending any offers of Lotus 18's haha) either Sat or Sun
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3028274)   #6
hey charger
Rookie

hey charger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robert Service in his poem "The spell of the Yukon" wrote of a first -timer's experience of the Alaskan gold rush...

You feel like an exile at first,
You hate it like hell for a season,
And then you are worse than the worst!

Welcome back James - good luck with Lukey!

Hey Charger
Old 26 Feb 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3031378)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wont be able to get there both days, watching the web site ... hello, nothing happening.

VHRR promotion on the radio, see the vhrr website, er, I'm doing that .. hello!

Seriously though, pathetic - & I'll be there, cos I luv it!!!

Paul Stubber running the Camaro is worth the walk down to the Loop.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3033805)   #8
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW anybody competing at the Classic that wants to get themselves prime-time free to air television exposure we are still looking for a guest to talk about the meeting on Tuesday night on the first edition of In Pit Lane for 2012.
A reach of over 1.9 million people right across Melbourne and apparently no one wants to take advantage of it.
It's a brilliant meeting but it seems nobody wants to promote it.
The offer is there until 4.00 PM today (Friday)
Old 2 Mar 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3033890)   #9
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
BTW anybody competing at the Classic that wants to get themselves prime-time free to air television exposure we are still looking for a guest to talk about the meeting on Tuesday night on the first edition of In Pit Lane for 2012.
A reach of over 1.9 million people right across Melbourne and apparently no one wants to take advantage of it.
I would, but I leave tomorrow and dont get to PI until Wednesday morning.

Andy.
Old 4 Mar 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3034946)   #10
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Bret,

I get in even later than Andy Newall, don't land at Melbourne until Friday morning! I do hope you find someone.

By the way, is it possible for me to get a copy of the interview you did with me at Phillip Island last year, that aired on your PI programme a few weeks later??

Will happily talk to you and your camera again at the meeting if you'd like to.

James
Old 5 Mar 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3035167)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leaving Bne Tuesday morning, hoping to arrive at the island Thursday lunchtime. Very concerned about the floods in between. Newell Hwy is closed, will have to go via Sydney, just hope i get there OK.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3035519)   #12
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Leaving Bne Tuesday morning, hoping to arrive at the island Thursday lunchtime. Very concerned about the floods in between. Newell Hwy is closed, will have to go via Sydney, just hope i get there OK.
Good luck for your journey down, it all seems very odd, leaving UK that is already officially in drought in wintry February to head for late summer in flooded Australia - what IS going on.

At Heathrow for my flight to Hong Kong, on down to Melbourne over night on Thursday. See you there.

James
Old 7 Mar 2012, 05:40 (Ref:3036329)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of these days, I'll get there, but alas, this year, the travel money is earmarked for a Bruce McLaren Trust invasion to the Monaco Historics, to celebrate 50 years since Bruce won.

Loads of Kiwi FJ's over at PI though.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3038299)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just had a tx from HRTR5. It would appear he has had a rather big shunt.Stand by for the full report."driver OK".
Old 11 Mar 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3038377)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh dear. "Driver ok" is fine but it's still not nice.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 01:08 (Ref:3038592)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, that doesn't sound at all good in the circumstances but good to know that he's OK.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3038695)   #17
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just had a tx from HRTR5. It would appear he has had a rather big shunt.Stand by for the full report."driver OK".

Hey James, sorry to hear this, hope you are ok
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 12 Mar 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3038705)   #18
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some pics from Saturday.

http://photobucket.com/PhillipIsland2012
Old 12 Mar 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3038721)   #19
inpitlane
Veteran

We'll have a report on the weekend on tomorrow nights In Pit Lane including interviews with Keith Wheatcroft on the Ferrari Tipo 500 and Bob Harrborow about the deal to race Groups C & A at this weeks Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park.
Speaking of which our special guest live in the studio will be the CEO of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation Andrew Westacott.
That's tomorrow night on In Pit Lane on C31 at 9.00 PM.
Replays of the show are available on the C31 Catch Up service at http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/in-pit-lane
Old 12 Mar 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3038800)   #20
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Driver OK!

Bit of a shunt unfortunately, a first corner squeeze with mix of FFs and FJs, I came off worse with a bit of air and a roll. Car is repairable and driver too, although they did insist on a getting me properly checked for any spinal injury in a local hospital. But i was still on a 0700 flight to Brisbane this morning for my business meeting. Everyone has been brilliant, especially the car's owner, to whom I shall be diverting my monthly paycheque for the next few months... Blast, this wasn't meant to happen...

James
Old 12 Mar 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3038818)   #21
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear you're ok James, there was too much carnage this year and pay cheques are more replaceable than people.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3039049)   #22
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWPESLsUfb8

I take it this is James...not nice looks like you were lucky to get away relatively unscathed.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3039084)   #23
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Hmmm, I was hoping that link wouldn't get picked up until I had the chance to get home and prove to the Mrs that I really am ok, it looks ugly in that footage. Suspect I could come under pressure to take up golf ... Digital age I suppose, no longer controllable. Mrs got a phone call from a mate after he'd seen Delta's post announcing my shunt... Not really ideal, although we had at least spoken at length.

I really am ok except for some cuts/bruises and even they aren't bad. I have been lucky.

James
Old 12 Mar 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3039104)   #24
inpitlane
Veteran

Any one know the name of the Formula Ford driver involved. I was filming at the other end of the circuit and saw none of it.
Glad everyone's OK.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3039117)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Any one know the name of the Formula Ford driver involved. I was filming at the other end of the circuit and saw none of it.
Glad everyone's OK.
Its in the video credits.

Looks like there was at least one other car involved.