Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

View Poll Results: Do you think ALMS/Grand-AM shared weekends would be a good idea?
Yes 13 30.23%
No 30 69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jul 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2506752)   #1
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saving ALMS and Grand-AM

Check out this article http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=587&Itemid=55

So I was wondering what everyone thinks of this idea? I think it would be very beneficial for both series. In the combined races it will alot of entries for the race as well as bring down costs in both of the series so it really makes everyone happy. Even just having double headers would bring nice bigger crouds and more cost effective as well.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2506763)   #2
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've read Kat's article and don't really disagree with it in principle. However, I do doubt that GARRA will want to have their DPs completely blown out of the water at combined events and so will ask for some type of competition equalizing that make it distasteful to ALMS. If these two can agree to run events together (on courses that can handle the number of entries) without any modifications to the competitors speeds, it would certainly be interesting and I think it would sell lots of tickets.

DK
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2506774)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't really see the benefit to either series. I don't think that you would see an increase in attendance. Basically, you would force ALMS fans (the same people that show up to see 15 cars) to watch DPs drone around.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2506778)   #4
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't really see the benefit to either series. I don't think that you would see an increase in attendance. Basically, you would force ALMS fans (the same people that show up to see 15 cars) to watch DPs drone around.
Grand-AM has a fanbase as well so it would be very hard for the attendance not to be higher. I agree the DP's aren't the best to look at but with all the passing that would be going on with the extra cars the field the races would be more exciting. I know when I went to the race in St. Pete I would have been very happy to have any extra cars running so thee would have actually been a little bit of action it.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2506798)   #5
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The biggest thing that Grand-Am has going for it right now is star power. Just off the top of my head, they have Angelelli, Barbosa, Bernard, Bouchut, Dumas, Fogarty, Garcia, Gurney, Henzler, Liddell, Negri, Pruett, Rice, Rojas, Wallace, Werner, and Zonta. Most of these guys are not in ALMS anymore and some of the fans would like to see some of them again. A few combined races could accomplish that. Also, while the DPs are far from beautiful, a nice paint job (come on AIM, you can do better than that) could spruce things up a bit. Also, the DPs are slightly faster than the GT2 so they wouldn't be more of a hindrance that the LMPs already have to deal with.

DK
Old 23 Jul 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2506810)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see how it would increase attendance by any beneficial amount. There's a pretty finite audience when it comes to road racing in america. And there is some cross over in terms of viewership. Maybe a slight jump would be realized, but nothing dramatic IMO. The cost sharing would be the primary benefit. But that would probably get trumped by the perceived failings from the perspective of Grand-AM and ALMS. One series is a better option.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2506823)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't you could unite the two as they have totally different philosophies about business and the cars.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2506830)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthib10 View Post
Grand-AM has a fanbase as well so it would be very hard for the attendance not to be higher. I agree the DP's aren't the best to look at but with all the passing that would be going on with the extra cars the field the races would be more exciting. I know when I went to the race in St. Pete I would have been very happy to have any extra cars running so thee would have actually been a little bit of action it.
It does have a fanbase, but do they actually show up at the track?! I think that is what the comment was actually getting at. Higher, yes, but the attendance at most GARRA races not bolstered by a bona fide headliner on the same bill would make barely a drop in the bucket at most (though not all) ALMS events.

The issue from sponsor/media perspectives may be somewhat different. Would GARRA force NASCAR sponsors to back ALMS proto teams then?!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2506864)   #9
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't you could unite the two as they have totally different philosophies about business and the cars.
The article referenced at the top of this thread does not propose anything that requires "uniting" the two series or either one abandoning its philosophy about either business or cars.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2506878)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. I do not think it would be beneficial to either series!

L.P.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2506886)   #11
ARTRACER1
Rookie

United States
Charlotte, NC
ARTRACER1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the droning dippies although running nose to tail for most of the race, in a slow speed convoy, only did a little passing. When you consider that ALMS GT2 cars are only a second or so off their pace at most tracks, I really dont see the vast majority of ALMS fans swarming to see this yawner of a series. After 5 years, the cars are as ugly as they ever were. The series has had so much positive input from both fans and designers regarding the look of the cars, that they have no one to blame for themselves. Evry time I look at one, I feel like I am being slapped in the face by a really ugly woman who is trying to convince me that she is Erin Andrews. It's just not true SPORTS CAR racing. A team owner said on TV recently that is was really like NASCAR on a road course (but much slower I think!)
That sums up the mentality for me. It's about as far from the Le Mans idea and ideal of racing as an alumicraft lakeboat running a 12v electric motor is to the Super Cat class in offshore powerboat racing. There just is NO comparison, so why are we trying so hard to compare. ?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2506935)   #12
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTRACER1 View Post
There just is NO comparison, so why are we trying so hard to compare. ?
Because there are rumors of talks between the two series; even after denials by ALMS officials.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 00:15 (Ref:2506939)   #13
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There just is NO comparison, so why are we trying so hard to compare. ?
Because some just have to . Even though the Owner of the series says they are full of it!!!!!

L.P.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2506943)   #14
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the droning dippies although running nose to tail for most of the race, in a slow speed convoy, only did a little passing. When you consider that ALMS GT2 cars are only a second or so off their pace at most tracks, I really dont see the vast majority of ALMS fans swarming to see this yawner of a series. After 5 years, the cars are as ugly as they ever were. The series has had so much positive input from both fans and designers regarding the look of the cars, that they have no one to blame for themselves. Evry time I look at one, I feel like I am being slapped in the face by a really ugly woman who is trying to convince me that she is Erin Andrews. It's just not true SPORTS CAR racing. A team owner said on TV recently that is was really like NASCAR on a road course (but much slower I think!)
That sums up the mentality for me. It's about as far from the Le Mans idea and ideal of racing as an alumicraft lakeboat running a 12v electric motor is to the Super Cat class in offshore powerboat racing. There just is NO comparison, so why are we trying so hard to compare. ?
I share your sentiments. I have tried hard to appreciate the series, and I try to watch races at Barber Motorsports Park every chance I get since the track looks so beautiful, but these DPs are like the racing equivalent of to how the show 'Cats' is to Broadway.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2506971)   #15
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
can't imagine this, its like hoping for a joint Le Mans Series/FIA GT weekend, impossible to do
Old 24 Jul 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2507010)   #16
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea but first see what the merger has done to the IRL. And if it is going to be just like the IRL-ChampCar merger it doesn't look good because the "original" series will be merged with the leading "split off" series.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2507057)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Wouldn't more shared weekends and tie ups with IRL make more sense including a race on the road course at IMS? The only problem GA causes for ALMS is the teams it sucks away. It seems clear to me that the majority of fans prefer ALMS if attendances at races is anything to go by.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2507126)   #18
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
Well if the ALMS keeps going down the same path of fielding less than 20 cars I think the series has nowhere to go but down. You will see the attendance fall as well as see the sponsors get out of the series.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2507139)   #19
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Wouldn't more shared weekends and tie ups with IRL make more sense including a race on the road course at IMS?
In May or generally speaking? The first wouldn't be possible as it apparently takes too much time to make the road course usable.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2507174)   #20
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthib10 View Post
Well if the ALMS keeps going down the same path of fielding less than 20 cars I think the series has nowhere to go but down. You will see the attendance fall as well as see the sponsors get out of the series.
How many races have had less than 20 cars?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2507180)   #21
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
How many races have had less than 20 cars?
St. Pete 17

Long Beach 21

Utah 18 ALMS cars and 5 challenge cars so the track doesn't look as empty.

Lime Rock 19 ALMS and again 5 challenge cars

I mean if you are giong to add Challenge cars that don't matter to the field why not add the Grand-AM series which also doesn't matter? Either way your filling space for a very low actual car count in the ALMS. The Grand-AM cars would sure bring more of a croud than the Challenge cars..
Old 24 Jul 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2507185)   #22
MrSebring
Rookie

MrSebring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Kat's idea.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2507192)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from article:
Quote:
This is NOT a marriage - this is just “living together” for a couple years to see what happens.
i've done both and it is basically the same thing.....
silly this idea....would only highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both series until it ends up in divorce or someone moving out.

reality is that these (and all other series) or suffering....let's not make beds with each other just yet.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2507257)   #24
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
from article:
silly this idea....would only highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both series until it ends up in divorce or someone moving out.

reality is that these (and all other series) or suffering....let's not make beds with each other just yet.
I think that is the point though.. The series are supposed to be able to split it doesn't have to be a permanent thing but for right now in this economy the extra car count and sponsors would be a good thing and in a couple years if things improve then the joint events don't have to happen anymore both series win.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2507279)   #25
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
from article:

When the IMSA and SCCA used to be able to exchange cars between series it did not do any harm to either series.