Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Nov 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3862533)   #4021
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks gents.

jimclark
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3862820)   #4022
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The Maldonado governor has made some wild claims: IndyCar hasn't raced outside United States over 30 years, and the race will be held in early 2019. Par for the course.

They insist that the target is March 2019.

https://motormario.com/indycar-en-pu...en-el-silencio
Old 12 Nov 2018, 21:56 (Ref:3862899)   #4023
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The Maldonado governor has made some wild claims: IndyCar hasn't raced outside United States over 30 years, and the race will be held in early 2019. Par for the course.
Wild indeed. IndyCar has only been in existence 7-8 years......ponderous.

jimclark
Old 12 Nov 2018, 23:32 (Ref:3862919)   #4024
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Wild indeed. IndyCar has only been in existence 7-8 years......ponderous.
Only been in existence 7-8 years?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3862920)   #4025
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Yes. It was only coined (officially) shortly after the IRL absorbed the CCWS (whatever year that was). Don't test me, remember....

Now you've got me curious exactly when that was...a new mission I accept....

edit: Voila...."The sanctioning body was formed in 1994 under the name Indy Racing League, and began competition in 1996. The trademark name INDYCAR was officially adopted on January 1, 2011."

I understand your questioning and yes, it's a technicality. Nonetheless whatever form of Indy cars we're talking about it hasn't been "over 30 years" (IndyCar the most recent and has been outside the U.S. since it's inception)

Last edited by jimclark; 12 Nov 2018 at 23:58.

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3862927)   #4026
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes. It was only coined (officially) shortly after the IRL absorbed the CCWS (whatever year that was). Don't test me, remember....

Now you've got me curious exactly when that was...a new mission I accept....

edit: Voila...."The sanctioning body was formed in 1994 under the name Indy Racing League, and began competition in 1996. The trademark name INDYCAR was officially adopted on January 1, 2011."

I understand your questioning and yes, it's a technicality. Nonetheless whatever form of Indy cars we're talking about it hasn't been "over 30 years" (IndyCar the most recent and has been outside the U.S. since it's inception)
Unification with Champ Car was in 2008. Back in 1992, IMS registered the IndyCar trademark with the United States Patent Office and licensed it to CART, which renamed its championship the IndyCar World Series.

With creation of the IRL, the IndyCar trade mark was subject to a legal battle. CART filed a lawsuit in March 1996, against IMS in order to protect their license to the trademark. In April, IMS filed a countersuit against CART, to prevent them from further use of the trademark. They both reached a settlement, with CART agreeing to give up the IndyCar trademark, after the 1996 season but the IRL could not use it until after the end of the 2002 season. The name IndyCar Series officially adopted beginning in 2003. The sanctioning body is Indy Racing League, LLC , using the trading name IndyCar.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3862941)   #4027
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Agaiun, yer point is?

Seriously, from memory already knowing these things, I was just referencing NuBUru's quoting the governor that stated IndyCar not having raced outside the U.S. in over 30 years.
IndyCar has only been used singly by the IRL. I know they also add a sponsors name to the series but no other time could one punch up www.indycar.com and come to the series itself except with the IRL. Not with AAA, USAC, or CART...... In general, it (Indy car) was used loosely to tag cars that raced at Indy.

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3862982)   #4028
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
The important thing is Indycar is going strong on itís 10th anniversary of reunification
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3862988)   #4029
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The important thing is Indycar is going strong on it’s 10th anniversary of reunification
Oh. I wasn't aware.

'Ever catch a look at the number of empty seats outnumbering the occupied ones when, on those rare occasions (like NASCAR coverage), they accidentally let a shot of the stands slip through....? 'Didn't think so.

They haven't filled the grandstands since the CART days. Not even Indy on it's hundredth and that always used to sell out.

edit: Reunification? When was/were the previous unification/s? I only remember the one. :grimace:

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3863021)   #4030
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oh. I wasn't aware.

'Ever catch a look at the number of empty seats outnumbering the occupied ones when, on those rare occasions (like NASCAR coverage), they accidentally let a shot of the stands slip through....? 'Didn't think so.

They haven't filled the grandstands since the CART days. Not even Indy on it's hundredth and that always used to sell out.

edit: Reunification? When was/were the previous unification/s? I only remember the one. :grimace:
By that logic NASCAR is much worse off. And even in the "heyday" of NASCAR you could get 1000s of free tickets to Bristol and Martinsville both for weeks ahead of time with all kinds of radio and other giveaways. Indy has fields that hit close to their track limited capacity and have teams signing up each season. That to me would be the measure of success after having car counts in the teens for consistent numbers of events in the not too distant past.

And reunification does NOT mean a second unification, it's a coming together after conflict or disagreement generally. In this case teams being pushed out and arguments over who had the rights to what would seem to qualify. But vocabulary can be hard.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3863038)   #4031
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
While I understand your overall point, this statement is inaccurate...

http://www.espn.com/racing/indycar/s...-total-sellout
Quote:
Ticket sales cut off as 100th Indianapolis 500 is total sellout
And here's a photo of the crowd filling the grounds.

https://fox59.com/2016/06/07/photo-s...00th-indy-500/
Old 13 Nov 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3863046)   #4032
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Agaiun, yer point is?

Seriously, from memory already knowing these things, I was just referencing NuBUru's quoting the governor that stated IndyCar not having raced outside the U.S. in over 30 years.
IndyCar has only been used singly by the IRL. I know they also add a sponsors name to the series but no other time could one punch up www.indycar.com and come to the series itself except with the IRL. Not with AAA, USAC, or CART...... In general, it (Indy car) was used loosely to tag cars that raced at Indy.
No point, just adding to what you said. Some people here on the IndyCar forum, may not know about the ramifications, that followed the Split.

I went to the 100th running of the 500 and it was rammed.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3863060)   #4033
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

What an awesome picture!
Old 13 Nov 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3863086)   #4034
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts, USA
Nick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNick Woodbury should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

That picture is wicked. Desktop background material for sure! I've been looking at this for 10 minutes solid.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 13 Nov 2018 at 17:46.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3863088)   #4035
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
That is a superb photo, thanks for posting.