Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Nov 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3863133)   #4036
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I may be one of the few golfers here, but seeing it from space makes me want to play that course even more!
Old 13 Nov 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3863141)   #4037
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And here's a photo of the crowd filling the grounds.
Thanks! Great picture
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3863199)   #4038
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
While I understand your overall point, this statement is inaccurate...

http://www.espn.com/racing/indycar/s...-total-sellout

And here's a photo of the crowd filling the grounds.

https://fox59.com/2016/06/07/photo-s...00th-indy-500/
I can't argue what I see in the article but I remember claims of 400,000 in attendance back in the CART days so I still have to wonder. Have they lowered the seat count like Daytona or allowing less into the infield, making for easier "sellout", and again, for the all so special 100th? (Which I agree is special...that's a long time....Le Mans is closing in too....)
Also, and importantly, I hold not much credence in the article as a very major blunder concerns me....ABC's live coverage since 1965???

"With the event declared a total sellout, the local blackout on the live broadcast of the race will be lifted for the first time since ABC began live coverage in 1965.

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to prime time. It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

Edit: Found this:
"From 1986 through 2018, ABC televised the race live in its entirety. However, at the request of the Speedway, Indianapolis affiliate WRTV was required to blackout the live broadcast and carry it on tape delay in prime time to encourage local race attendance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No point, just adding to what you said. Some people here on the IndyCar forum, may not know about the ramifications, that followed the Split.
You don't know me by now? I understand that as I do know you. 'T'was a rhetorical question....'just busting your ba**s.

btw, is "rammed" akin to our "crammed" or just a typo?

Last edited by jimclark; 14 Nov 2018 at 00:49.

jimclark
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3863202)   #4039
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I can't argue what I see in the article but I remember claims of 400,000 in attendance back in the CART days so I still have to wonder. Have they lowered the seat count like Daytona or allowing less into the infield, making for easier "sellout", and again, for the all so special 100th? (Which I agree is special...that's a long time....Le Mans is closing in too....)
Also, and importantly, I hold not much credence in the article as a very major blunder concerns me....ABC's live coverage since 1965???

"With the event declared a total sellout, the local blackout on the live broadcast of the race will be lifted for the first time since ABC began live coverage in 1965.

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to primetime) It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

"From 1986 through 2018, ABC televised the race live in its entirety. However, at the request of the Speedway, Indianapolis affiliate WRTV was required to blackout the live broadcast and carry it on tape delay in prime time to encourage local race attendance."

You don't know me by now? I understand that as I do know you. 'T'was a rhetorical question....'just busting your ba**s.

btw, is "rammed" akin to our "crammed" or just a typo?
I know it was rhetorical, I just don't always play a long. Rammed is akin to our crammed, one of those descriptive English expressions I've picked up.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 02:48 (Ref:3863208)   #4040
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to prime time. It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

I've heard the claims of 400k, too. Pretty sure the turn 1 through 4 or 5 complex for the road course (infield of T4 of the speedway) reduced the potential capacity of the infield, but I didn't an article to know the place was pretty much packed for the 100th - I saw that it was on my color television set.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3863340)   #4041
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jordan King gets 3rd RLL seat for the 500.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140041
Old 14 Nov 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3863341)   #4042
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully a part season under his belt will have given him enough preparation for this
Old 15 Nov 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3863485)   #4043
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Former Force India team principal Bob Fernley, has been named president of McLaren's IndyCar programme.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140057
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3864343)   #4044
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuntos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theodore Racing looking at Indycars for the future.

Source- http://www.macaubusiness.com/the-sec...-f3-world-cup/
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3864353)   #4045
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Theodore Racing looking at Indycars for the future.

Source- http://www.macaubusiness.com/the-sec...-f3-world-cup/
Teddy Yip, well there's an iconic name.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 23:17 (Ref:3864364)   #4046
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
There have been initial talks about a return to the Gold Coast, in 2020.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140194
Old 20 Nov 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3864403)   #4047
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe McLaren will stay on after Indy and King will drive?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3864489)   #4048
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why that?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3864714)   #4049
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Santino Ferrucci to get full time ride with Dale Coyne in 2019.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/11...acing-for-2019
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3864729)   #4050
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica interview by Graham Bensinger
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...08xqRlhiD3ut8d