Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3310312)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 F1 Calendar. Confirmed.

FIA have confirmed a 22 race calendar for 2014.

Yet, Article 5.4 of the 2014 F1 Sporting regulations still states "The maximum number of Events in the Championship is 20." (???)

DateCountry
16 MarchGrand Prix of Australia
30 MarchGrand Prix of Malaysia
06 AprilGrand Prix of Bahrain
20 AprilGrand Prix of China
27 AprilGrand Prix of Korea (provisional)
11 MayGrand Prix of Spain
25 MayGrand Prix of Monaco
01 JuneGrand Prix of America, New Jersey (provisional*)
08 JuneGrand Prix of Canada
22 JuneGrand Prix of Austria
06 JulyGrand Prix of Great Britain
20 JulyGrand Prix of Germany (Hockenheim)
27 JulyGrand Prix of Hungary
24 AugustGrand Prix of Belgium
07 SeptemberGrand Prix of Italy
21 SeptemberGrand Prix of Singapore
05 OctoberGrand Prix of Russia (Sochi)
12 OctoberGrand Prix of Japan
26 OctoberGrand Prix of Abu Dhabi
09 NovemberGrand Prix of USA (Austin)
16 NovemberGrand Prix of Mexico (provisional*)
30 NovemberGrand Prix of Brazil

* Subject to the circuit approval
Attached Thumbnails
Provisional 2014.jpg  

Last edited by MagnetON; 4 Dec 2013 at 16:18. Reason: Replaced graphic with an easier to read table.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3310318)   #2
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
FIA have confirmed a 22 race calendar for 2014.

Yet, Article 5.4 of the 2014 F1 Sporting regulations still states "The maximum number of Events in the Championship is 20." (???)

http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-2
Yes, they have made it a bit confusing. But I'd trust Article 5.4 over "provisional" races in the World Motor Sport Council. If New Jersey and Mexico are provisional (i.e. unconfirmed), they will probably be the ones taking the plunge if 2014 will indeed only be twenty races.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3310351)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really feasible to do a triple header of Monaco, NJ and Canada? Almost certainly not. This calendar will shrink by the time it's final, and Korea will be the first to go
Old 28 Sep 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3310403)   #4
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also interesting to note from the above link:

"One of the noteworthy aspects of the new 2013 Concorde Agreement is the new tender procedure for appointing single suppliers in the tyre and fuel categories, for the FIA F1 World Championship."

F1 to be a single supplier for fuel?? Wonder how Shell, Total, Mobil1, etc. would feel about that?
Old 28 Sep 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3310523)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Is it really feasible to do a triple header of Monaco, NJ and Canada? Almost certainly not. This calendar will shrink by the time it's final, and Korea will be the first to go
I never really thought about those three back-to-back weekends. It's verging on the impossible to get all of the team gear to New Jersey from Monaco in less than a week. Montreal is already pushing it. Nothing is wrong with Yeongam besides it being by far the most uninspiring track on the planet.

I'm also curious why they didn't put Abu Dhabi in front of Suzuka on the calendar. It concerns me to see Suzuka just a week after Sochi... that's going to be another stretch for the teams. It's approximately 5,000 miles from Sochi to Suzuka. From Sochi to Suzuka to Abu Dhabi, which is what the schedule currently says, adds up to about 9,700 miles (15,500 km) total. If it was from Sochi to Abu Dhabi to Suzuka, it would only be approx. 6,300 (10,100 km). That extra 3,400 miles (5,500 km) seems like a complete waste of energy. Maybe they want it as late in the year as possible because of heat?
Old 28 Sep 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3310524)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is My take on how the Schedule could and perhaps should look like.

I've dropped Korea for definite replacing it with a 3 day in season test prior to the start of the European (and North American) batch of races.
Either or both, Russia - Sochi and Mexico - Mexico City could go in my view giving a 20 or even 19 race season.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Version 2014.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	41358

What do you think?
Old 28 Sep 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3310526)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Here is My take on how the Schedule could and perhaps should look like.

I've dropped Korea for definite replacing it with a 3 day in season test prior to the start of the European (and North American) batch of races.
Either or both, Russia - Sochi and Mexico - Mexico City could go in my view giving a 20 or even 19 race season.

Attachment 41358

What do you think?
You've got some really good ideas. Pretty much what I was thinking if I expanded my thoughts on those two strings of events I mentioned above.
Old 28 Sep 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3310548)   #8
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I love the sport, 22 is too much IMO.

20 is perfect, we don't need more, especially in seasons where one driver/team has it wrapped up with a few rounds to go.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3310567)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottostreet View Post
As much as I love the sport, 22 is too much IMO.

20 is perfect, we don't need more, especially in seasons where one driver/team has it wrapped up with a few rounds to go.
And as much as I love the sport also, I have to agree with you.

I have a feeling they established the 20-race limit in the first place to force FIA scheduling officials (and Bernie) to practice some restraint. They would be likely to have 30 races if the money, tracks, and opportunities were there. I just hope they don't let this balloon out of control where in 2016 we'll have 25 races. :/
Old 29 Sep 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3310568)   #10
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20 would be perfect. Just drop the boring desert tracks along with Singapore, Korea and China. Money says otherwise though. Really hope Austria, Mexico, and Jersey will happen.

I want to see a French race. Bernie should build stands at Paul Ricard and milk that cash cow.

But even with the best schedule out there, F1 is still pretty boring to watch. :/
Old 29 Sep 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3310682)   #11
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
But even with the best schedule out there, F1 is still pretty boring to watch. :/
That's because the best schedule has the worst circuits. Tilke doesn't seem to be able to make great racing with his circuits, so you think F1 would've learnt by now...
Old 29 Sep 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3310714)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Our circuit here is Austin is pretty darn good..
Old 29 Sep 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3310743)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
That's because the best schedule has the worst circuits. Tilke doesn't seem to be able to make great racing with his circuits, so you think F1 would've learnt by now...
So which circuits would you have form the 2014 calendar?
Old 29 Sep 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3310776)   #14
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do agree that 22 is a bit too much. Not helped by the fact that a lot of the circuits are Tilkedromes! They only decent circuits that he made are Sepang and Austin in my opinion.

I think that even 20 might be a little too much. Maybe 18 is a reasonable limit.

F1 goes where the money is - and hence why a lot of new circuits in places like the Far East. I expect we'll probably see a lot more of them in the future.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3310778)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I do agree that 22 is a bit too much. Not helped by the fact that a lot of the circuits are Tilkedromes! They only decent circuits that he made are Sepang and Austin in my opinion.

I think that even 20 might be a little too much. Maybe 18 is a reasonable limit.

F1 goes where the money is - and hence why a lot of new circuits in places like the Far East. I expect we'll probably see a lot more of them in the future.
I believe as I have said before that the races that don't work will just drop off the calendar sooner or later, just a matter of time...
Old 1 Oct 2013, 02:00 (Ref:3311276)   #16
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austin is a decent circuit I think, but the slow stadium section at the end of the lap should have been a bit more fast and flowing. These new tracks all have way too many corners and they do more harm than good. The main thing I dislike about Austin and all these new tracks though is the huge paved run offs at every corner. Yes, I know they're more safe, but at least have a few meters of grass on the sides of the tack so going off actually penalizes drivers. And there is not need to make them so damn huge and alienate the stands. An out of control car will hit the wall just as hard from skidding across 100 meters of runoff as it will from 50. The esses at Austin are ruined by the huge run offs.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3311496)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post

The layout for COTA was conceived by Kevin Schwantz and Tavo Hellmund, with some assistance from Tilke, probably why the track is better than your full blooded Tilkedrome.

22 races is too many but I expect venues like New Jersey will drop off the calendar and are only there to make up the numbers in case something should go wrong with any of the other venues.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3311683)   #18
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Whatever happened to Istanbul Park? I heard about the government pulling funding but they don't even have a website anymore...
Old 2 Oct 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3311920)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Whatever happened to Istanbul Park? I heard about the government pulling funding but they don't even have a website anymore...
Hardly anyone went to it, so it got pulled.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3311991)   #20
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Hardly anyone went to it, so it got pulled.
But what about the track itself? Do they not have ANY events?

I mean, Kyalami went the way of the dodo but it still has lots of club races...
Old 2 Oct 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3312002)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They rally in Turkey, I never heard of any grass roots racing there. Not that I've the finger on the pulse when it comes to Turkey mind you.

Really if it wasn't all so cavalier - this business of collecting cheques from anyone who wants a race - there really should be something of a national scene in the nations, F1 goes to, as a requirement. Make it sustainable for the long run and so on.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3312017)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
But what about the track itself? Do they not have ANY events?
World Superbike were there last month.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3312071)   #23
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
World Superbike were there last month.
Thanks for the info, SBF. It's all a bit OT, but thank you.

Also I've found out that they do in fact have a website... http://www.intercitypark.com/

I guess they're called Intercity Istanbul Park now. I'm glad to see they aren't just abandoning it. I'd consider it one of the best tracks of the modern age, rivaling Inje, COTA, and Sepang.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3312364)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Really if it wasn't all so cavalier - this business of collecting cheques from anyone who wants a race - there really should be something of a national scene in the nations, F1 goes to, as a requirement. Make it sustainable for the long run and so on.
its not that i disagree with that, but im not sure how strong of a connection it is.

when i do venture into the other subforums here i get the sense that those who are involved in or follow a national or local series generally seem to have less need for and or less willingness to spend their time and money on F1.

as for the new markets, i dont see a lack of understanding about motorsports as limiting attendance as much as i see expensive tickets and travel costs in nations where there is already a disproportionally low number of people with the disposable incomes necessary to attend.

the US market where there is a more income equality and an incredibly strong national racing scene (as well as a variety of other sports leagues to compete against) F1 struggles immensely.

on the surface India should be ideal for F1. largest middle class in the world and other than cricket there is no other sports to compete with, powerful entertainment industry, and no shortage of sponsorship opportunities...but in practice it looks and feels nothing like ideal so go figure!
Old 3 Nov 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3326738)   #25
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems as though the 2014 calender is not firm yet. Mexico and New Jersey are both out because the tracks will not be ready in time. Korea still has a '?' attached. If Korea goes then we could be heading back to India so that Bernie can have 20 races.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111094