Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3324760)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Indeed.

I'm not sure I can see him going to a supplier. He's a winner, he feeds on the direct team involvement. (And bananas).
So is that the real reason he's leaving Mercedes, they won't give him anymore bananas... just asking?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3324766)   #27
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
does Ross know about boats then?
I thought boats were what you did outside racing after F1 more often than not?

What would he need to know that could not be picked up quickly in a team building role?

But then I was only putting two and two together ... and of course boats could be a smokescreen.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3324769)   #28
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think he's too comfortable there since Mercedes became Mercedes and their form flagged. Mercedes' progress hasn't been as rapid as the Mercedes bosses would've liked, there was rumbling of Mercedes wanting diversify the ownership and take a backseat financially, there's too many bigshots at the top and Brawn himself might not quite have adjusted to the era of light testing as perhaps a guy like Newey has. Brawn was always at his best when testing was intensive and development was endless. And there is the fact the man is getting older.

All these are factors I would speculate are playing a role here. It's not surprising.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3324780)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So is that the real reason he's leaving Mercedes, they won't give him anymore bananas... just asking?
He wanted exclusive access to the banana tree.

Possibly.

Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3324781)   #30
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a good rumour...Ross Brawn to replace Domenicali at Ferrari! Of course I just made that up, but...can it be made a possibility?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3324843)   #31
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think it will be Williams for RB, I can't see him fitting into McLaren's structure.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3324849)   #32
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what this means for Hamilton? Didn't he state RB as a reason for his move to Mercedes?

I wonder what his relationship with Lowe is like/ was like from the McLaren days?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3324902)   #33
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I wonder what this means for Hamilton? Didn't he state RB as a reason for his move to Mercedes?

I wonder what his relationship with Lowe is like/ was like from the McLaren days?

Yeah, that is rather worrying for Hamilton. One of the reasons that he went to Mercedes was because of Brawn. I think that in Lewis' mind, he sorted of wanted to mold the team around him and have the sort of relationship with Brawn that Schumi had back at Benetton and Ferrari. It must also impact on Lewis' expectations of winning more WDCs.

Mercedes did seem a bit top heavy with their management. Having Lauda, Wolff and Brawn there made it quite crowded.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3324910)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post

Good question, Newey apparently was not one of Hamilton's fans, so it would be interesting to know how he gets on with Lowe!
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3324954)   #35
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I can't see him going to Williams, for that very reason.

Here's a thought. If I were Sir Ron of Dennis, I'd bury old rivalries, ditch Whitmarsh and make Brawn an offer he can't refuse - absolute control of the F1 operation.
Why would he go to McLaren if he has qualms regarding working with Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought boats were what you did outside racing after F1 more often than not?

What would he need to know that could not be picked up quickly in a team building role?

But then I was only putting two and two together ... and of course boats could be a smokescreen.
I think the boats are more because of Newey's professed interest in the America's Cup and their recent AC72 wing-sail foiling catamarans, than any interest on Brawn's part.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3324955)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The idea of Mr Brawn @ WGPE is a good one... can he get there in time to make sure next year's car isnt a total POS like this year's one seems to be?

Some sponsors might be nice too please...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3324959)   #37
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams would be nice, someone needs to go there and try to improve the situation.
Not sure if they have the budget/sponsors to be competitive on the long term, now that Pastor is leaving.

It's strange that no media is linking him to Ferrari...
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3324960)   #38
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I see him leaving F1 guys or arranging for a consultancy position with Williams something of that order. He's put his best years into the sport.

I think McLaren are pros though, any angst, they'll put it aside to get the job done. There's nothing in principle to prevent him working for them except possibly that Brawn purportedly had grown frustrated with Honda management.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:33 (Ref:3324961)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I see him leaving F1 guys or arranging for a consultancy position with Williams something of that order. He's put his best years into the sport.

I think McLaren are pros though, any angst, they'll put it aside to get the job done. There's nothing in principle to prevent him working for them except possibly that Brawn purportedly had grown frustrated with Honda management.
The issue is also likely that as Mr Brawn ran his own team, in his own way for the year of the championship win, and the first part of the Mercedes reemergence... being his own boss is likely to be appealing...

... would a role with such wide responsibility & scope fit well at McLaren? I bet Williams would be a better fit...
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3324968)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I know you cant always believe the Mirror but... Brawn to Retire?

Wonder if he might take a gig at Caterham?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3324972)   #41
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leave F1 and do top level prototype/endurance racing?

Richard
Old 30 Oct 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3324982)   #42
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Leave F1 and do top level prototype/endurance racing?

Richard
Or design furniture like John Barnard.

There's a whole world of opportunity outside of motorsports for a man such as Brawn.

Personally, whilst obviously in demand, he doesn't quite fit anywhere in motorsports from his own pov. Anything full time on offer in the motorsports world would be a demotion.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3325007)   #43
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Why shouldn't the guy just retire? He's had a full-on career in F1, ended up being a World Championship winning Team owner and doesn't appear to have made himself any enemies in the sport along the way (and that's not something you can say about averyone in his position!). His personal fortune has increased significantly since selling 'his' team to Mercedes which should see him very comfortable in retirement.
I'm about the same age as Ross and would dearly love to chuck it all in and retire while I can enjoy it, but unfortunately I don't have the financial buffer that he has, so expect to be scraping a living until (or if) I reach the age of 66 when I'm now told my state pension will start!
Old 30 Oct 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3325092)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Niki Lauda says no decision has been made, regarding Ross Brawn.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110978
Old 30 Oct 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3325094)   #45
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Maybe he'll run for FIA President? In fact, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. He'd be the ultimate poacher turned gamekeeper.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3325141)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Why shouldn't the guy just retire?
certainly its one of his two options. i hope its not the case though as F1 would be all the worse for not having him. same with Newey as well. these two guys have been in one way or another involved with almost every championship winning car over the past 20 years. its mind boggling for me to think that F1 would be better or yield better competition without two of its best being involved.

i sort of think there is room for him at Williams though as they need someone to sit on the pit wall and be the public face of the team. SFW is scaling back, his daughter while no doubt capable has served her apprenticeship during some very unsuccessful years so is still unproven, and while this may be harsh but is Pat Symonds the guy you want as the public face of your company?

for me i would like to see him not only go to Williams but to get some ownership there as well. if he still has shares left in the Merc team maybe there is a deal to be done via an exchange with Wolff's Williams shares.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3325304)   #47
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Ross Brawn is not the problem at Mercedes, the problem is that the team at RedBull are just phenomenal at designing race cars that on the very edge..

I would love to see him go to Williams and that is not because I don't think that Pat Symonds cant get the job done, he is brilliant...

I think he will retire, but I am guessing aren't I...
Old 31 Oct 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3325656)   #48
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Ross Brawn is not the problem at Mercedes, the problem is that the team at RedBull are just phenomenal at designing race cars that on the very edge..

I would love to see him go to Williams and that is not because I don't think that Pat Symonds cant get the job done, he is brilliant...

I think he will retire, but I am guessing aren't I...
Retire, to do what? Just become irrelevant?

Most of these guys are lucky enough to love what they do!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3325662)   #49
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Because he can, that's a good enough reason is it not..

Retiring does not mean rotting away does it...
Old 31 Oct 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3325666)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
There's various challenges outside of F1. Space travel being the most audacious.

Brawn has lived through an era where they've curbed innovation too. F1 isn't the challenge it once was for a designer.

He could also just have a year off. Or spend a year being a part-time consultant and then get back in the race.