Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Feb 2014, 01:30 (Ref:3363883)   #51
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
too often we have to do this without the benefit of numbers but for arguments sake lets say the 20 venues are paying an average of 20mil per race per year then thats 400mil. of course Monaco doesnt pay and Abu Dhabi better be paying at least double now

i not sure what the TV deals all work out to but i would say its close but regardless 400mill from the promoters has got to be meaningful to CVC.

that said i agree TV/Internet is where you get the value for track side sponsors so its important but if the grandstands are empty then thats not good either.

anyways something has got to give because $500 for a weekend pass (on a decent grandstand) for a 2.5 hour race is really outrageous. value has to be given at the venue first and sadly its not coming from quali.

i was harping about this a while ago but in contrast the Moto GP event at Laguna Seca last summer cost $150 which included a seat on grandstand 4, a paddock pass, a parking pass for the lot right behind our grandstand, an official program with lanyard, driver interviews throughout the weekend, the Wailers performed (minus Bob Marley of course) plus they had like 10 support races, and an entire midfield of fan experience zones.

F1 cannot even come close to offering that kind of value and at some point the one thing that this sports relies upon (its connection with our history) wont even keep us interested anymore.

in short Saturday needs to be improved. not saying it has to be a sprint race but an hour of drivers saving their tires isnt the solution either.
Its not the money, that's simply the fee and you find it anyway you can or get your government to pay for it or a portion of it.

Its about numbers of followers for TV.
19 GP at 150,000 people per weekend is around 2,850,000 for the year....

Viewers of TV broadcasts climb into the millions per race.
That's why Bernie is not upset about giving a race to a nation with a handful of followers...
If 20,000 turn up and pay whatever to watch the loss is the promoters.
The fee helps cover the cost of the race but the loss isn't CVC's.

As for value for money F1 is not value for money.
Now is just out of this world except for the rich or the devoted.

So whoever wants to see F1 flourish has got to have promotion on there mind and in their heart or it will fade away like CART and the IRL....
Old 4 Feb 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3364021)   #52
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there's some confusion about who sets the ticket pricing. I'd just like to point out that Bernie dosn't set the race fee, the track does. Bernie and the FOM get control of everything including billboards around the track, but in return the track gets to set ticket prices and keep all the money from that.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3364233)   #53
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I think there's some confusion about who sets the ticket pricing. I'd just like to point out that Bernie dosn't set the race fee, the track does. Bernie and the FOM get control of everything including billboards around the track, but in return the track gets to set ticket prices and keep all the money from that.
Does anyone know how much freedom the tracks have to determine a support program?
Paying a fortune and wasting a day just to watch a GP and no other significant racing gets on my nerves. In the past the GP meetings were marquee events for local racing with the jewel of the day being the GP!

The good old days indeed ...