Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1759332)   #1
Simd1978
Rookie

Simd1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Radio Frequency ??

Hello everyone ! Im new to the forum, so hello to you all !, i want to open my forum contribution straight away, but i need your help ! Can any of you guys, or girls !, tell me the frequency on which the radio communication
used on rallying is ?. Im told by a friend of the family and supposive authority on most things ! that the frequency used is " somewhere around 50MHz to 80MHz "........... Is this correct ? or is it another yarn to add to the list LOL !
Also with a budget of £50 and Christmas coming up, what would be the most suitable Scanner to get....... Ive seen a " Maycom AR108 " on Ebay new for £50 if that would be any good ? Im a keen fan of Rallying and the most recent event was the Malton Stages last Sunday, im usually found around the Yorkshire or Nottingham forests watching the BRC, BTRDA, ANCRO, Historic and Clubmans events if this helps on answering my question. Your views would be greatly recieved .
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1759359)   #2
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi and welcome to the forums.
The use of scanners on motorsport events is generally frowned upon, especially if you want to listen to the official channels. If you want to use it to listen to the crews though thats OK

One piece of advice, don't buy the Maycom all its good for is listening to aeroplanes. You would be better off with the Uniden Bearcat 92 XLT
Old 6 Nov 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1759477)   #3
Simd1978
Rookie

Thanks for your comment, i didnt know that it was frowned opon at all. I hope, once ive obtained a scanner and got used to it, to progress to marshalling on events as one of the Radio car operatives. Anyway ill check out the model you suggested and go from there. Thanks again Silver Bullet, maybe speak again to you soon.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1759524)   #4
David Walmsley
Rookie

David Walmsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are intersted in becoming a radio operator there are training days usually early in the year, when I find out more I can let you know.
I guess you are in the north and training days are usually in York
Old 6 Nov 2006, 23:23 (Ref:1759534)   #5
Simd1978
Rookie

Hi David
Thanks for that keep me posted.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1759927)   #6
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The scanner will not help you in the slightest if you want to become a radio marshal.

Speak to someone in your club about going marshalling with them and learn how its done. ITs not complicated and can be entertaining. You also get to stay in your car when the weather is horrible
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1760203)   #7
Simd1978
Rookie

Hello again. thanks imull for your comment, i understand that the use of a scanner will not be of any use when becoming a Radio Marshall, its just i want to be able to hear the way in which the Radio operators communicate with each other during an event. This, i hope, will gain me some early knowledge for further progress in operating a radio vehicle.
All comments are greatly recieved and taken on. Regards Simon
Old 7 Nov 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1760279)   #8
Guffy
Racer

United Kingdom
Shap Cumbria
Guffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi & welcome to the forum

Don't waste your money on a scanner as a radio will cost in the region of £250, but you should get in touch & become a member of your local motor club, & do a bit of foot marshalling first so you know what information radio crews require from marshals when reporting an incident

Then in time sit in with a radio operator & just listen as to how it all works & what to do with the paper work before, during & after a rally

Then once you decide you want to become a radio operator, you'll need to get or get on an exsisting licence, then find an MSA approved radio dealer, Phone the MSA(Andrea Wren) who will send the dealer a code/PIN to progamme into the radio set, then pay your money & recieve your radio

It isn't just as simple as getting a radio & going on to a stage

Once you feel confident to go on your own & you have to report an incident, the main thing to do is STAY calm & don't panic when reporting an incident to the Rally radio contoller...!
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1760320)   #9
Simd1978
Rookie

Thanks Guffy,
Sounds like good advice and some that ill take and mull over. I think that ill still invest in the scanner just to have a go with one, but ill be looking into the MSA route you suggested in a little while. Thanks again and hope i can help you out with something in the near future.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1760365)   #10
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Guffy but I don't think a scanner is a waste of money. If it is used correctly a scanner can be a big help. I would not be without mine whether I am spectating or marshalling.
I will admit the missuse of scanners by some idiots has given them a bad name in the past. That is why some organisations frown on them.
I do agree that you need to go out and do some general marshalling before becoming a radio operator. It's more complicated than it looks.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1760616)   #11
lancaster
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
lancaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a useful site http://www.silkrallyradio.co.uk/
Old 8 Nov 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1761006)   #12
Simd1978
Rookie

Thanks alot Lancaster, its all useful
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1766150)   #13
amber
Rookie

Wales
S. Wales
amber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi and welcome to the forum. Wondering what area you are in, maybe I can introduce you to one of Radio Crews near to you. We are always looking for new operators as some of us are getting a bit long in the tooth

If I can be of help PM your e-mail address to me and I will get back to you.
Good luck for 2007.

Colin King.
MSA Radio Controller
Amber Rally Radio.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3287375)   #14
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone got any 2013 GRC frequencies ,Drivers or Track? Thanks.