Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 Sep 2020, 16:01 (Ref:4007626)   #5176
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
What happened with Austin?
From Robin Miller's column:

Quote:
Another track missing from 2021 will likely be COTA, which is going to host a NASCAR race next spring, but may also be up for sale and not financially willing or able to keep IndyCar.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 16:16 (Ref:4007632)   #5177
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
If oval fans showed up to the tracks as much as they post about the lack of oval racing on the internet, then they'd be the most profitable events in Indycar

Sadly fans of oval racing and indeed oval racing as a whole seems to be on the decline
Even NASCAR is adding more road racing to its schedule these days, after years of giving it 2 token dates per season, they're up to about 5 these days with reports of Road America and COTA being added to their schedule as well.

I can see a day when the Indy 500 is the only oval race on the Indycar schedule.
It'll be a sad day, but I'd rather a complete road+street indycar calender (+ the 500) than no Indycar at all
I can only speak for myself but getting to an oval race is logistically very difficult. Though having said that, I did go to the 100th running of the 500 but getting there and back wasn't exactly straightforward.

I don't follow NASCAR but I know they race at Watkins Glen and at Sonoma, otherwise I had no idea they were considering other road courses. I'd be tempted to watch a NASCAR race at Road America.

Hopefully, that day if it comes is a long way off and I think IndyCar will still be around. Though I would say even up to eight years ago, things still looked precarious.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 16:39 (Ref:4007637)   #5178
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, the only big ovals out there that aren’t NASCAR are closing or closed. TMS isn’t technically in the NASCAR group (ISC) but it’s Bruton Smith and SMI so close enough. They own Charlotte(nope), Atlanta(nope), Bristol(fun but carnage), Vegas(probably no), Loudon (nope) and Sonoma (left for Laguna so no), among others.

NASCAR is expanding their road course offerings as they have had growth in ratings that ovals can’t match. Next season with feature the Cup boys on Watkins, Sonoma, COTA, Charlotte roval and Road America. The Nationwide crew hits them as well and the trucks have gone to Mosport. Ever since NASCAR bought the Panoz holdings there have been constant rumors of a series coming to Road Atlanta, teams are not interested as they test there frequently and you cannot test at tracks in the series. I’m torn but feel like a Cup race would screw up the track too much, Nationwide event would be interesting but what support with them. If you’re local to Road Atlanta, some retired guy named Bill will be driving on the course in an old Cup car next weekend.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4007646)   #5179
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And NASCAR will be joining Indy will everyone running the road course at the Brickyard event in 2021, Indy, Cup and Nationwide on the road course no oval running
Old 30 Sep 2020, 17:33 (Ref:4007652)   #5180
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
And NASCAR will be joining Indy will everyone running the road course at the Brickyard event in 2021, Indy, Cup and Nationwide on the road course no oval running
No Brickyard 400?
Old 30 Sep 2020, 18:44 (Ref:4007665)   #5181
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No Brickyard 400?
It looks like it will be the Brickyard 400 road course. No naming announcement but schedule says road course not the oval.

They’re going old school as well if you’re NASCAR interested, Bristol will be a dirt track for the spring race. Yes, the high banked bowl of Bristol will be converted to a dirt track for the first Cup race on dirt since 1970.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 06:20 (Ref:4007738)   #5182
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're not going to get the cause of information unless he decides to talk. They can't say anything other that general comments about why they won't clear him, it's legally limited and I don't think they have the same deals with drivers the NFL and MLB have for HIPPA releases.

I understand the legal angle, but there is usually better information when a driver is sidelined.

It has been suggested that Askew's problem stems from a concussion sustained in the Indy 500 accident. Perhaps I missed it but I don't recall hearing about him having a concussion in the post race coverage.

If he did have a concussion, was it caused by deceleration or contact?
Old 1 Oct 2020, 16:55 (Ref:4007825)   #5183
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the 2019 IndyCar calendar is going to be the best schedule for years to come. The 2021 schhedule doesn't come close.

COTA will be missed. Why couldn't they have made it a double-header with NASCAR? The place is big enough to host both series.

Iowa will be missed even more. Instead of more short track racing, there is now even less.

But given the state of the economy and the uncertainty over big events regarding health-related restrictions, it was to be expected that this schedule was going to be somewhat less fancy. From that perspective, they have made the most of it.

A NASCAR/IndyCar doubleheader on the Daytona road course would have been amazing, but ISC must not even have considered it. I guess it could be quite spectacular, though.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4007827)   #5184
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
A NASCAR/IndyCar doubleheader on the Daytona road course would have been amazing, but ISC must not even have considered it. I guess it could be quite spectacular, though.
Simple answer: NASCAR isn’t in the business of promoting IndyCar. And NASCAR isn’t even running a regular race on the Daytona roval, just the season-opening, non-points Clash.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4007829)   #5185
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Looks like the 2019 IndyCar calendar is going to be the best schedule for years to come. The 2021 schhedule doesn't come close.

COTA will be missed. Why couldn't they have made it a double-header with NASCAR? The place is big enough to host both series.

Iowa will be missed even more. Instead of more short track racing, there is now even less.

But given the state of the economy and the uncertainty over big events regarding health-related restrictions, it was to be expected that this schedule was going to be somewhat less fancy. From that perspective, they have made the most of it.

I think you're right about health-related restrictions. Even if a vaccine is produced in time for winter, that won't necessarily get rid of Covid-19 just like that and it doesn't mean life will return to normal in spring next year.

Daytona is a nice idea but wouldn't the banking be prohibitive? It's 31° at the turns.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 18:24 (Ref:4007839)   #5186
TheMightyM
Veteran

And the official schedule, more thoughts later:

March 7, St. Petersburg, NBC
April 11, Barber Motorsports Park, NBCSN
April 18, Long Beach, NBC
May 1 + May 2, Texas Motor Speedway, NBCSN (both) — doubleheader
May 15, Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, NBC
May 22-23, Indy 500 qualifying
May 30, 105th running of the Indianapolis 500, NBC
June 12 + June 13, Belle Isle, NBC (both) — doubleheader
June 20, Road America, NBCSN
July 4, Mid-Ohio SportsCar Course, NBC
July 11, Toronto, NBCSN
August 8, Nashville, NBCSN
August 14, Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, NBCSN
August 21, World Wide Technology Raceway, NBCSN
September 12, Portland International Raceway, NBC
September 19, WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, NBC
Old 2 Oct 2020, 00:40 (Ref:4007866)   #5187
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Daytona is a non starter, it's not happening ever with Indy cars. And sorry but even if they did it's a garbage road course for them anyway. Hell it isn't a great road course for anyone but Indy cars? No thanks, there's just no character to it other than first race of the calendar.

COTA dropped from the schedule because no one cares. The attendance was bear enough to zero and the ratings weren't great. The race itself wasn't bad but wasn't worth the costs. Plus rumors are the track is up for sale and NASCAR is optimistic it will be there for 2021 race, or that could close the track. The state isn't paying any more so Liberty better pay big or the F1 race isn't coming back either.

Iowa just didn't make sense, Penske rented the track at a massive loss just to get another race on the schedule this year. And it doesn't appear to have mattered much, the track is likely to close and NASCAR to sell it off. So even if it was profitable it wasn't long for this series.

Richmond is a loss but similar to Iowa there just isn't the interest from management.

Attendance has been trending up at road courses and down at ovals for Indy and Nascar both. I think there will be a time the only oval left for Indy will be the 500, and it is not far off.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 08:13 (Ref:4007894)   #5188
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I can't ever imagine either series doing that?

Oval racing is an enormous part of both categories origins and history. What Indycar should do is add another couppe of superspeedways like Michigan, Fontana or Miami which used to offer intense race long action.

Getting rid ov ovals would be like suggesting Sportscar racing should no longer be about endurance racing!
Old 2 Oct 2020, 08:54 (Ref:4007908)   #5189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I can't ever imagine either series doing that?

Oval racing is an enormous part of both categories origins and history. What Indycar should do is add another couppe of superspeedways like Michigan, Fontana or Miami which used to offer intense race long action.

Getting rid ov ovals would be like suggesting Sportscar racing should no longer be about endurance racing!
Absolutely it is an enormous part of both categories origins and history. A return to pure oval racing, was one of the main reasons Tony George formed the IRL and caused the split from CART.

As for those particular tracks, Fontana, Miami and Michigan, they were previously owned by ISC, which was founded by Bill France of NASCAR fame and which itself was bought by NASCAR last year.

Fontana is being turned into a short oval and unless NASCAR does some sort of deal with IndyCar, like joint hosting, I don't think IndyCar will race again at Miami or Michigan. I actually think Joint hosting is the best option for both series.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4007925)   #5190
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
While oval racing isn't exactly flavour of the month with Indycar fans atm, apart from the Indy 500, it is a shame the only other oval next season apart from the 500 is Texas. They need to make sure they don't go too far from their routes and hopefully we can see 2 or 3 more ovals in 2022

That said the road courses they have chosen are quality ones and it'll be interesting to see how the Nashville street circuit goes
Old 2 Oct 2020, 09:41 (Ref:4007930)   #5191
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Actually just seen Technology Raceway is an oval too. So that's two other ovals, plus Texas is a double header too. Still not enough IMHO
Old 2 Oct 2020, 09:43 (Ref:4007931)   #5192
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
While oval racing isn't exactly flavour of the month with Indycar fans atm, apart from the Indy 500, it is a shame the only other oval next season apart from the 500 is Texas. They need to make sure they don't go too far from their routes and hopefully we can see 2 or 3 more ovals in 2022

That said the road courses they have chosen are quality ones and it'll be interesting to see how the Nashville street circuit goes
Three ovals, they are racing at World Wide Technology Raceway; Gateway,
Old 2 Oct 2020, 15:27 (Ref:4008033)   #5193
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yes but the numbers aren't there to support the racing. The old ovals of Indy are closing or are closed.

Pocono is a mess but fixable, but the track doesn't care as the attendance is meh and Cup sells well.

Any ISC owned track will be tough, Nascar is looking at every track to adjust their racing. Their changes to Phoenix screwed the Indy race. Michigan was a classic but there doesn't seem to be the interest now. Fontana was interesting but even drivers thought it was going to go poorly the last time around. But they did at Texas as well and still run there. Chicagoland lost its Cup race I believe so its days may be numbered as well. Richmond surprised me as it has usually been good racing but it's been a bit and this year was cancelled.

Privately owned ovals are closing or shadow owned by Nascar groups. Yes, ovals are Indy racing but that's becoming a was Indy racing.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 18:05 (Ref:4008068)   #5194
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Expect more engine news shortly for Indy to push back the KERS engine plan to 2023.

Also not Indy Lights but Penske Entertainment to fund a USF2000 team. Sounds like part of their Race for Equality and Change plan so I would expect it to be fully funded to give drivers a place if they run out of money but have the skills to move up and attempt to get the Lights drive.

Both from MP on Racer this afternoon
Old 2 Oct 2020, 18:35 (Ref:4008072)   #5195
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Expect more engine news shortly for Indy to push back the KERS engine plan to 2023.

Also not Indy Lights but Penske Entertainment to fund a USF2000 team. Sounds like part of their Race for Equality and Change plan so I would expect it to be fully funded to give drivers a place if they run out of money but have the skills to move up and attempt to get the Lights drive.

Both from MP on Racer this afternoon
I'm not surprised the new ICE hybrid engine is being pushed back to 2023, what with Covid-19. There's also been a change at the helm of Honda Performance Development, as David Salters will become the seventh president and succeeds Ted Klaus.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 01:45 (Ref:4008406)   #5196
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Interesting read about Winner's Circle race at St Pete. Sounds like ECR (Ed and Conor), Foyt #14 (TK and Kellet) and Andretti 98 (Marco) are battling for the million dollar Winner's Circle payout. With the 98 currently in 23rd 7 points back of the 14. Yup, Marco can't finish in the top 20 for the season in the 98? I knew he was struggling but last of the 23 full season cars?

https://racer.com/2020/10/03/1-milli...-owner-battle/
Old 4 Oct 2020, 21:35 (Ref:4008586)   #5197
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jimmie Johnson only running the streets and road courses, per MRN broadcast of dega, if anyone cares.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4008587)   #5198
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Jimmie Johnson only running the streets and road courses, per MRN broadcast of dega, if anyone cares.
Pretty much as we've always thought up until now. He's said he'll have a look at Indy and I'll take him at his word for that. Maybe 2022. Maybe not
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:11 (Ref:4008697)   #5199
S griffin
Veteran

Be good to see Jimmie give Indycars a good go, he seems like the kind of driver not afraid of a challenge
Old 5 Oct 2020, 18:18 (Ref:4008732)   #5200
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Even RM doesn’t sound too optimistic for oval future

https://racer.com/2020/10/05/miller-...penskes-fault/