Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1467698)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Motogp need Rossi?

Or do you think that it would be just as popular without him? I hope that this rather sudden spurt of popularity in MotoGP isn't all because of Rossi - if it is, then they are screwed once he's gone.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 22 Nov 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1467731)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think it would survive without him, but he's the most popular racer out there. The series would lack something without him.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1467849)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im with pink, the series would defintely survive without Rossi but at the moment I feel it would be the worse off without him. Rossi is a real charachter as well as being a excellent rider, hes caused so much conflict over the years, first with Biaggi and more recently with Gibernau and that has made for some interesting racing and press confrences.

If Rossi went the series would lack something, at least for a while. No doubt though that new rivalries would soon begin and we would have some more banter. The question is, who?
Old 22 Nov 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1467856)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it will survive . as the races are still gonna be good .. but .. even thinking about it .does raise a few question ..
it's like Alfa not being in 2006 WTCC . it does damage the championship . but will go on .

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1467872)   #5
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MGP needs sponsors the most. I read ver good artical signed by... <hmm> AFAIRem Julian Rider about sponsors in MotoGP, lack of sponsors.And now we can see this, what is happening. pons is without backing, Tech 3 needs to sign Rolfo to survive, who will d'Antin sign to survive Roberts is in dead end, without backing and looking for pay-riders too, not to mention WCM, who is dead, but... alive.

The riders will be there, In 2007 in will be new formula, I hope much, much cheapper to let privateers come in to the MGP and fight with big boys.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1467885)   #6
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCC is like Moto GP....Big in a small world. Ferrari know a Gold Nugget when they see one. Rossi spells G O L D for anyone who can read
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1467911)   #7
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP needs Rossi more than he needs it. MotoGP needs every entry it can get at the moment as thin grids are the start of a slippery slope.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1468260)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rossi leaving won't mean an entry being lost though, there are plenty of riders out there to replace him. Very interesting question and a good thread so far. He's brought a lot of new fans to the sport, but I think most would stay on, as he's introduced them to the excitement, surprise and voertaking these races offer compared to F1.

2006 was always going to be a relatively thin year - the last year before technical changes which are expensive in the short term (well, not for Honda) but cost-cutting in the long-term always is. 18-20 bikes would be pretty respectable.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1468285)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You always need a yardstick though and that is the thing with Vale, he isnt like Mick in that he doesnt bore you by winning with a 10 second margin, or Mladin. But imagine if he wasn't there, you would watch the last lap and know that Vale would have been a second up the road!
It would be more exciting like 2000 was when everyone was trying to win, but I like having someone for the underdgo to beat like Sete or Loris y'know.
and for all that Vale has brought to the sport with charisma and humour, he will be a huge loss on that side more than anything else.
There has not been a rider to combine so many endearing features for a very long time, he is a one off. Yes i sit there when he behind Sete and I know he is gonna pass him near the end and that annoys me, but at least he smiles and looks happy when he wins.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1468490)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'd miss the bizarre celebrations more than anything! Who else would run to a port-a-loo, ride with a chicken man on the back of his bike and get stopped for being too fast.....Biaggi, Ha!
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1468571)   #11
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
I'd miss the bizarre celebrations more than anything! Who else would run to a port-a-loo, ride with a chicken man on the back of his bike and get stopped for being too fast.....Biaggi, Ha!

Petter Solberg maybe? I can still remember him jumping over the fence into the arms of his fanclub when he clinched the 2003 WRC title - hell he makes Rossi look like Kimi Raikkonen

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 23 Nov 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1468725)   #12
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
there are plenty of riders out there to replace him.
True, plenty of riders would give their right arm for his seat (make riding tricky though). It is more important that the teams stop in MotoGP, NOT the riders. If they don't get bums on seats -and Rossi puts them there- then teams will start to question their involvement.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1468833)   #13
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Chunder Mladinator is completely from a different planet. I was watching him this year, if not clutch problems @ the end of the year he would win every single lap in the last two or three rounds.

He is 0.8 - 1.0 sec. faster than anyone else on the track, Ben Spies had only teoretical shot for title, with Mladin having technical problems... But Mladin is Mladin, he fought clutch & starting vows and crush everyone.

What a guy, what a racer
Old 24 Nov 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1469257)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have to say he is as dominant as Vale is in GP.
I saw a recent interview with Hodgson and thought he was tlaking up his title chances, you can't really see anyone getting anywhere near Mat, he si that much better, he, like Rossi, has them all beat before he gets out there.
It would be intersting to see how much of a gap he would have if they scored the points properly like they should!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1473637)   #15
supabob
Rookie

South Africa
Roodepoort, near Johannesburg
supabob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rossi is solid gold for motorsport and that is why he will probably go to Ferrari in 2007. It will be a severe blow for motoGP but motorcycle road racing at the highest level will carry on, just as it did after Duke, after Surtees, and after Hailwood.
I agree that the Japanese big three/four mustn't be allowed to bugger around with the rules anymore, because we need the small guys like Peter Clifford and the medium guys like Kenny Snr.
The future will belong to the well founded private teams if the F.I.M. leaves things alone. Imagine Peter Clifford with Telefonica sponsorship and a Honda 5 engine, just imagine it !
And while we're there, I believe that the manufacturers should be forced to field full two man, and sometimes three man, teams in every Gp - those grids are looking dangerously thin.
Forza Vale, Forza !! He's the best thing to have happened to motorcycle racing since Mike, and maybe the best thing in motorsport, ever !! Remember those Fiorano test times, wow !
Old 30 Nov 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1474055)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I personally think that the only reason he would go to F1 is for money. I think he would be mobbed even more by the press, especially if he drove for Ferrari. Anotehr reason is that he would not be the favourite and that brings with it pressure aswell, you could see at then end of 05 he was bvery weary and the sheer effort of having to try that hard to win every race was taking its toll. In F1 he would still be a huge star but he would not be the Schumacher or Kimi or Alonso as he is now and that might attract him.
I think though that the 800cc bikes might interest him, he must know what Yamaha's plans are already as they will be desperate for him to sign a lengthy contract. Or he might go somewhere else in GP. I would love to see him do 250 and GP but I think those days are gone unfortunately!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 05:25 (Ref:1474366)   #17
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I would love to see him do 250 and GP but I think those days are gone unfortunately!
I see that happening, but after he comes back to motogp after a dismal F1 effort.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1474754)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoong Montoya
Petter Solberg maybe? I can still remember him jumping over the fence into the arms of his fanclub when he clinched the 2003 WRC title - hell he makes Rossi look like Kimi Raikkonen
Yes!

I also remember his interview straight after clinching the title.....the most incomprehensible garbage I have heard in my entire life!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1475057)   #19
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Yes!

I also remember his interview straight after clinching the title.....the most incomprehensible garbage I have heard in my entire life!
Man, every moment with that guy is pure gold. You Rossi fans don't know what you're missing!

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 1 Dec 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1475238)   #20
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
too bad he's not as good as Loeb

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Dec 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1475918)   #21
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
too bad he's not as good as Loeb

Or that the Subaru isn't as good as the Citroen

Vyvyan - The Young Ones