Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 May 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1622224)   #1
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
New to Cadet Karting, fuel/fuel tank question

Hi All, I have bought a cadet kart for my son and have a few questions regarding fuel/fuel tank.1) How long can I leave the mixed fuel in the tank between usage,ive heard of some horror stories that dodgy fuel can knacker the engine.2) The fuel tank is so hard to remove,I have to actually dismantle some of the steering just to get the tank out,is this the norm,the chassis is wright where the fuel tank sits between both the uprights to the steering colum.Thanks in advance.
Paul
Old 29 May 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1622450)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, I leave mixed fuel in a Rotax Max with no problems so cant see how those little Cadet engines would be worse as they are virtually bulletproof. However you could drain it out with a length of pipe and some judicious sucking. Easier than removing the tank I would have thought.
Old 29 May 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1622451)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your normally ok leaving the fuel in for say a month between races. Some people say drain the fuel but i don't and to be honest its never made any difference (2/ Rotax Max) its still quicker than Super 1 spec engines.

As for the tank....hmmm, tricky, it sounds like its positioned right. Ours is attached between the two chassis rails leading up the the steering column by one bolt and is a "quick release" type. However it does take some banging and shifting etc to get the tank out and it can also only be pulled out to the right as we can't get it over the brake reservoir otherwise.

Hope that helps
Old 29 May 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1622452)   #4
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
....beat me to it
Old 29 May 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1622468)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy king
....beat me to it
Theres a first!
Old 30 May 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1622941)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What difference can it make though when it's kept in a container or even in the pumps at the petrol station for a while? Can't see how it's less fresh...I usually leave mine in the fuel tank and hasn't made a difference it's because I find I usually have to use a lot of fuel for my kart (Tal-ko S4 TKM 4 stroke) as it runs much better, so I'm topping up to 3/4s all the time so I'm usually leaving it in there...as I have to top up quite oftern...
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1625211)   #7
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we drain out our tank after everyday. (practise and racing)

We found that it gives a tiny little advantage having fresh fuel as there is still more oxygen in the petrol. (i know its small but when you do s1 every little helps ) This is on the TKM 4 stroke engine.

Also everysingle petrol tank is between the rails and the easiest way we found to do it was just to remove the floor try and take it out from below and therefore you leave the steering alone this is on a tal-ko Raider Ms4 2006