Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 2021, 22:12 (Ref:4054290)   #2251
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Anybody know why the latest covid variant is called Delta?

PC at it's worst. Pathetic.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 04:14 (Ref:4054308)   #2252
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks again Grant and dw43scale for your links. Great job!
Old 2 Jun 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4054311)   #2253
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes of course Kent is a Greek character.
I heard on the radio yesterday that all of the variants had been assigned a Greek letter instead of referring to the area where they originated, hence the fourth variant becoming Delta. (It's about as effective as rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, but I suppose it gave someone in The World Health Organisation something to do...)
Old 2 Jun 2021, 07:10 (Ref:4054314)   #2254
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
For once I am keeping my head down.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 07:18 (Ref:4054315)   #2255
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 2 Jun 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4054325)   #2256
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
For some reason I immediately thought of Vietnam (Mekong delta) when I read this, not having seen any recent news stories about this week's latest variant.

Then I thought ... yeah, but there are many other deltas around the world ...

Nile, Mississippi, etc.

And then there it was in the news feed - Vietnam variant.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 11:09 (Ref:4054338)   #2257
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-zOsciwUc
Old 2 Jun 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4054383)   #2258
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eeee these young modern beat combos eh Bauble? The very best in up to date music

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Jun 2021, 21:58 (Ref:4054393)   #2259
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Eeee these young modern beat combos eh Bauble? The very best in up to date music

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
The father of Country and Western, and the first recording superstar of popular music. I have most of his records.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 08:25 (Ref:4054410)   #2260
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The father of Country and Western, and the first recording superstar of popular music. I have most of his records.
Typical! I suppose he loaned them to you and you just never let him have them back?
Old 3 Jun 2021, 12:34 (Ref:4054437)   #2261
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bugger! Just discovered a seized locking wheel nut on the jeep. We discussed these a while back so how do I remove it?
Old 3 Jun 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4054447)   #2262
bauble
Veteran

England
I have just received an email telling me I have been approved for something, i don't know what as I did not open the message, but how did they know I had changed my name to Lisa?
Old 3 Jun 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4054453)   #2263
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bugger! Just discovered a seized locking wheel nut on the jeep. We discussed these a while back so how do I remove it?
The McLaren guys seemed to use a Dremel tool of some sort on the Bottas front wheel.

Not sure if that helps you Peter ...
Old 3 Jun 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4054454)   #2264
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
McLaren were probably trying to lock it on place.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4054461)   #2265
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I've just received notification about this tool which looks pretty good Peter. It may seem expensive 'just' to remove one wheel nut but from experience it can be a time consuming exercise.

Other methods we have used in the past include hammering a tight fitting (A/F or Whitworth) 12 point socket over the recalcitrant locker, or if there's room, welding an hexagonal nut onto the end of it and using a normal socket.
Good luck...
Old 3 Jun 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4054469)   #2266
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, tried that the tyre guy had one.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4054471)   #2267
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hmm, tried that the tyre guy had one.
Your welcome to come over here Pete.We have ways.Would have to be next week. Off to Cadwell.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4054505)   #2268
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Back way, after I had had the Saab about 2 or 3 years, we ran into a stuck locking nut on an annual service at the selling dealer. Nice, family run firm.

As far as I can recall the wheels had not been off for a year since the last service but there was a chance that I may have had tyres fitted just after the previous annual service. So it may have been a tyre fitter thing.

Anyhow, the car's own lock nut remover broke. Their master lock nut remover broke. They had tried heat without a result. As I recall they also attempted t do something with a chisel. In the end they had to drill it off (several drill bits consumed) and, space being tight, could not avoid a little wheel gouging at the edge of the stuf hole.

Took them 4 hours labour cost. They charged me a part of that plus the cost of a new set of locking nuts. Which seemed unfortunate but reasonable in the circumstances.

Just realised I wrote McLaren previously when I was thinking of the Mercedes video. Apologies for any confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Sip2n7sAk

Also I was wondering whether the recent fad for dry ice cleaning means that there are possible local resources avaiable for attempting an alternating rapid cooling/rapid heating approach to the stuck nut or stud.

Last edited by grantp; 3 Jun 2021 at 20:10.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4054715)   #2269
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Been a bit quiet on here for the last few days - we were woken at 4am on Wednesday morning by two policemen to inform us that Blanche's youngest (57) son had been found dead beside his van at the unit he rented - so the last few days have been a bit of a blur. Waiting on an autopsy but probably a heart attack - he was due to go in for a stent in a couple of weeks.

He'd done a bit of racing in the HankOOK 924 championship back in the 80's while he was in the Army - he became a bomb disposal Officer in Ireland during the troubles, and saw service in Bosnia and Iraq, before joining one of the MI sections - a group who found the notion of "WMD" and 45 minute readiness a laughable political construct.....after leaving the Forces he, as many ex-servicemen, found the transition to civilian life difficult - learning that you couldn't just "task" one of the workforce to do something and assume that it would be done was a lesson he never really learnt, and a succession of business partners in the licenced trade ripped him off as a result - but he lived an interesting life and despite a few brushes with authority - he had an ongoing vendetta lately with the London Charging zone militia, who he regarded as money-grabbing parasites determined to prevent anyone making a living - he would always try to help anyone who needed it, particularly of course any ex-servicemen. The tributes to him, particularly from the succession of ladies he had had in tow (he made Boris look like a vestal virgin ), and those who had worked with him or who he had helped has been comforting to his mother and all the family. Its taking a while to unravel his complicated life, so I may be quiet for a while longer - for which you may all be thankful

Stay safe, guys.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4054717)   #2270
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Very sorry to read your news Lanky but as you say he led an interesting life. I hope that will be a comfort in the ensuing days. Condolences to Blanche and of course you.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4054750)   #2271
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

As Peter wrote, very sorry to read about that Richard.

A sudden death, especially one related to a life of the breadth and depth you have described, is quite likely to lead to complication over winding up an estate. It's not always that easy even when everything has been planned in advance and fully documented.

I would have loved to hear his views on the various Charging Zone schemes that appear to be encouraging people to flee cities and head for the "new towns" being built on green fields across the country.

The rationale for such policies seems to have about the same basis of being founded in reality as did WMD.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4054752)   #2272
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Condolences on your loss Richard
Old 6 Jun 2021, 05:40 (Ref:4054794)   #2273
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
So sorry for you sad news Richard . Please send my love to the Mrs . I’m at Cadwell this weekend with a couple of front engined FJ cars . Not a good weekend so far as I broke 1/4 shaft at the start on Lola MK2 and Duncan got puncture a couple of laps later . Hope for better fortunes today .
Old 6 Jun 2021, 06:17 (Ref:4054795)   #2274
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sending all my best wishes to you and your family Richard at this difficult time
Old 6 Jun 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4054804)   #2275
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In other sad news Barry Hinchliffe has died. He helped get a lot of motorsport on the box, most famously the BTCC onto BBC Grandstand. He will be sadly missed