Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1410301)   #1
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am completely shocked...this is a very sad day for the whole sport....

rest in peace Michael
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1410304)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael Park

Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin, has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB.

Initial reports said Martin's Peugeot crashed heavily into a tree on Park's side during the 17-mile Margam stage.

Condolances to Michael's family & friends
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1410309)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just read about this.
Not really a Rally boffin, but am shocked at this news.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1410310)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Rally GB Fatality

Taken from the BBC Website

Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin, has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB.
Initial reports said Martin's Peugeot crashed heavily into a tree on Park's side during the 17-mile Margam stage.

Organisers confirmed at 1045 BST that the 39-year-old from Gloucestershire, suffered fatal injuries.

The stage was halted immediately and will not be resumed. The second run through the Margam leg, scheduled to be the last stage, was also cancelled.

Police sealed off the stage, as is normal practice in such a situation, and began investigations.

A statement from the organisers said: "It is with deep regret that we confirm that Michael Park was fatally injured following an accident on special stage 15.

"The next of kin has been informed. The driver of car number eight, Markko Martin, is uninjured."

Park, nicknamed 'Beef', was a highly-experienced co-driver who had worked with former champions Richard Burns and Colin McRae.

He first began rallying on the world championship circuit in 1994 as Mark Higgins' co-driver.

Park teamed up with Martin in 2000 when the Estonian was rallying a privately-entered Toyota.

They stayed together at Subaru and Ford before moving to Peugeot this year.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1410311)   #5
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.i.p.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1410316)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocked and very sad... rest in peace Michael.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1410318)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport is always dangerous but when something like this happens it brings out the reality.

Condolences to the family .

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1410320)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1410323)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, good grief, no. Lovely man, what an awful shock. Totally lost for words here, but deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Relevant rally forum thread here .

Tributes forum thread here
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1410331)   #10
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read the news, total shock. Park had a successful future ahead of him, and i'm sure will be missed by many.

Today is a very sad day for WRC.

R.I.P Michael
My thoughts to his friends and family.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1410334)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just learnt of this too. Apparently all remaining stages have been cancelled.

This is just terrible news. Condolences too to everyone who knew Michael.

So young to be gone, so much of a life lived.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1410339)   #12
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard the news on Eurosport and I am shocked. I met both Marko and Michael in 2003 in Spain when they were part of a presentation as part of the trip
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1410343)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a very sad day. RIP Michael Park
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1410344)   #14
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad day. Rest in peace.

Alex
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1410347)   #15
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tragic news. My prayers go out to his family. We all understood that rallying is dangerous, but you never REALLY realize it until something like this happens
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1410351)   #16
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot Sport Press Release

Peugeot Sport Press Release

COMMUNIQUE

A serious accident has left the Peugeot Sport team in mourning this Sunday morning during the last leg of the Wales Rally GB.

Markko Martin left the route shortly after the start of the second stage of the day and hit a tree on the right hand side of the car, mortally wounding his co-driver Michael Park.

Peugeot Sport's Director, Jean-Pierre Nicolas, with the agreement of Mr. Frederic Saint-Geours, Managing Director of Peugeot, has decided, as a sign of mourning, to withdraw the car of Marcus Gronholm – Timo Rautiainen.

Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park, known affectionately as Beef.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1410354)   #17
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
currently i'm numb with shock, he was such a great bloke and i can't imagine what Markko and the team feel like right now
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1410356)   #18
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP Michael Park 22/06/1966-17/9/2005

As you people have heard, sadly, Markko Martin's co-driver, Michael "Beef" Park has died due to fatal injuries on stage 15 of Wales Rally, GB. Martian and Park's Peugeot 307 crashed heavily into a tree on Park's side during the 17-mile Margam stage (stage 15). He is survied by his 2 children and his wife. Park used to co-drive with rally greats, Richard Burns and Colin McRae. Well mate, hope you are in peace now and rest in peace.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1410357)   #19
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't beleive it, i'm in shock, i used to always watch the rallying when i knew it was on, are there anymore details on it yet?
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1410360)   #20
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not much, mate. Peugeot motorsport is pulling out it's other 307 out as a mark of mourning and respect.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1410369)   #21
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Terrible news. My sympathies go to his family and friends and my thoughts are also with the officials who dealt with what must have been a harrowing incident.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1410371)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
terrible news . just heard it during FIA GT coverage .
RIP Michael Park

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1410373)   #23
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Rest in peace mate, my prayers are with the family and rallying will NEVER be the same again with out 'Beef'
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1410375)   #24
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. All remaining stages have been cancelled.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1410376)   #25
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is terribly terribly sad news. I've heard of a few deaths recently, and it feels awful to add another to that list.

I remember his days with Richard Burns, and it is painful to hear about his passing.