Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1059151)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What is the best TOURING CAR racing today

What is the best toring car racing today in the world is it the v8supertaxi's or the DTM or the BTCC.

Open for discussion? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1059156)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie Racing Cars are the best. GTP is good also and could be a lot better.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1059157)   #3
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say the best touring car series in the world would have to be the Biante Historic Touring Car Series for sure

Out of the three you mentioned though, I would have to say V8Supercars. Purely because the BTCC has been and is pretty week of late, and the DTM don't even use road car body shells anymore, which to me, means they are no longer true touring cars
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1059162)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Fair point 00XR8 and I think that the Aussie Racing Cars are the best but are they touring cars. Even though the DTM do not use road shells they certainly pull the crowds in. And to me with three manufactors racing that is better than two. IMO
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1059166)   #5
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Sure three is better than two, but when all three are technically the same, is it really three or is it only one

I must say I really enjoy the mix in GTPerformance. Last time I checked the top 6 in the Championship read something like Subaru, Volkswagen, Mazda, Mitsubishi, HSV and then BMW. If only they could get the FPVs up the front, and maybe a 350Z or two, then all would be perfect

Maybe getting some "name" drivers in the series, and stepping away from Nations Cup's very week shadow may also improve it a bit. But with sponsors like Vodafone, Coopers and Mitsubishi Electric etc on board, they have to be doing something right
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1059173)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Again you point is a fair one 00XR8, but I must agree with you on the GTP series it did skip my mind, I was looking at the overall world picture though.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1059182)   #7
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Unfortunately we don't get a true perspective of touring car racing's "world picture" on TV here. Maybe I would like the DTM and BTCC more if we saw it on TV and there was more coverage of it in the motorsport mags.

With DTM though, I don't really mind if 6 million other people are watching or how many billion dollars Norbert Haug's motorhome costs, I want to see good racing. Some times I enjoy sitting in a fold-out chair on the spectator mound at Mallala watching a U2L Sports Sedan race so much more than say, the Clipsal 500.

I seem to be just rambling now, so I better stop! Its just that you keep agreeing with the stuff I type TSR, so I keep going! (and the fact I am just waisting time while I download a new version of Windows Media Player!)

Anyhow, what does TSR stand for exactly? I always read it quickly as having a O and an E in it somewhere
Old 7 Aug 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1059186)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teaser?
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1059267)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have many people here who have posted an opinion actually seen the DTM or ETCC races on TV or live?

I saw the DTM race at Hockenheim this year when i was in Europe, and the ETCC Valencia round and they were both pretty good. Although i felt ETCC seemed a bit artificial with the weight penalies, but i suppose if it is to sort out parity, then thats what they have to do.

All in all, i think seeing those races was not only interesting, with new faces and cars - but getting used to the rules and everything else was excitement in itself - so it is hard to judge.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1059722)   #10
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Touring Cars by a country mile.I'm off to Eastern Creek to have a look at some today,anyone else heading out?
Old 8 Aug 2004, 02:37 (Ref:1059781)   #11
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
Have many people here who have posted an opinion actually seen the DTM or ETCC races on TV or live?
twig you make a very valid point since there is little shown on Pay Tv here in regards to the DTM.

Out of the three choices that you mentioned I would say the best touring car/stock car series in the world would be Nascars after all it's still tin top racing, door to door racing.

Inside your three choices, I would put the V8 Supercars ahead mainly due to the exposure they get from all sources of the media as well as taken precedence over most other categories here. The BTCC cars are great to watch and whilst they only have a small amount of coverage here they do provide some good close racing.

It's hard to form an opinion on the DTM and ETCC races when we only see bits and pieces from Motor World of the coverage from either one of their series here, and as someone else said the DTM cars seem to have no resemblance to any of their road cars.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 05:44 (Ref:1059841)   #12
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Mr Keener should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys dont forget your Kiwi cousins.Our series is a bit like brutes on steroids.3 races a day lots of passing lots of carnage and lots of different winners,not to mention a good old fashioned Holden verses Ford battle.Not suggesting it is the best but certainly rates consideration when it comes to competitive racing and excitement.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1060006)   #13
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
I had the pleasure of seeing every NZV8 race on tape from last season and you are right Mr Keener, it is fantastic

They actually pass each other.......
Old 8 Aug 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1060051)   #14
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best touring car catergory is a toss up between nations cup and gt performance as they both provide good close racing with more than 2 different makes of cars. They have 5+ different make of cars
Old 8 Aug 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1060116)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nations Cup isn't a touring car class, but when you include v8 taxi's and DTM under the 'touring car banner' its just like throwing the trucks in aswell.

Anyway, world scale DTM by far I would say, how great is it going to be if they come to the Island. In Aus at the moment its Gt Performance.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 14:34 (Ref:1060143)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the true sense of the word none of the three originally mentioned (V8s, DTM or BTCC) are Touring Car classes.

00 XR8, you dismiss DTM because they don't use production bodyshells, but neither do V8s, they use kits supplied by the manufacturer. And in regards to GT-P not having any name drivers, why can't they promote the drivers they do haev, rather than relying on other categories leading drivers?
Old 8 Aug 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1060532)   #17
EMR39

Thanks Pete55 and TSR, it's great to hear that us Aussie Racers are supported by the crowds and are well recognised.

Old 9 Aug 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1060835)   #18
nova99
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
nova99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
v8 touring cars, historic touring cars, gtp

Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
Historic Touring Cars by a country mile.I'm off to Eastern Creek to have a look at some today,anyone else heading out?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1060960)   #19
Woody75
Racer

Woody75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Touring Cars are awesome, plus Sports Sedans with a full field are exciting
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1061187)   #20
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not long ago moved to London seeing as much motor racing as I can while here. We get all the DTM, BTCC races live. I think the DTM series is great. I saw the ETCC at Donington and was not impressed at all. They only ran 2 x 12 lap races which was a let down from a fans point of view and it was all single file stuff.

Heving been to Adelaide many times for the 500, I must say that it is the best event I have witnessed. Although it isnt a touring cars, the motoGP beats the lot!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1061588)   #21
Racer Dude
Rookie

Racer Dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching the Brickyard 400 last night, would have to say Nascar! 205mph into turn 1. Makes entering the chase at bathurst girls stuff!
Old 11 Aug 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1062825)   #22
nova99
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
nova99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch the three Tilley boys plus Stubber and Mason in the Biante historic touring cars on Sunday should be great.