Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 4 Apr 2021, 08:37 (Ref:4044547)   #1
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Extreme E 2021

https://www.extreme-e.com/

Desert X-Prix | AlUla, Saudi Arabia | 3-4 April
Ocean X-Prix | Lac Rose, Senegal | 29-30 May
Arctic X-Prix | Kangerlussuaq, Greenland | 28-29 August
Amazon X-Prix | Santarém, Brazil | 23-24 October
Glacier X-Prix | Ushuaia, Argentina | 11-12 December

Teams/Drivers
Veloce Racing (UK) - Jamie Chadwick and Stéphane Sarrazin
Rosberg X Racing - Molly Taylor and Johan Kristofferson
JBXE - Jenson Button and Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky
Andretti United Extreme E - Catie Munnings and Timmy Hansen
Hispano-Suiza Xite Energy - Oliver Bennet and Christine Giampaoli Zonca
Team X44 - Sebastien Loeb and Christina Gutierrez
Acciona Sainz XE Team - Carlos Sainz and Laia Sanz
Chip Ganassi Racing - Sara Price and Kyle LeDuc
ABT Cupra XE -| Mattias Ekström and Claudia Hürtgen

Today race live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXkRbjQw1w
Old 4 Apr 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4044584)   #2
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that was a lot of effort for races that were decided in the first 800 yards.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4044585)   #3
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, a lot of window dressing with very little content.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4044588)   #4
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much cringe in this series, so generic. But some interesting parts at least. The qualifying was okay to watch, the cars and chosen track were cool I think. The driver level leaves a lot to ask for outside the top three or four pairs.

One hour recap for a 11 min final where it's all about the start was very boring. They didn't expect as much dust but that will probably be an issue at other events too. It seems that they lack some basic understanding of what they're actually doing.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4044590)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I watched qualifying (I'll catch up on the races later) and thought it was quite good fun. Points I'd note:
  • As mentioned driver quality is variable.
  • The cars seem glitchy and look like they need more development.
  • With only 9 teams qualifying took ages - if they have more teams in future then it'll go on forever!
  • Racing in that dust was always going to be difficult - that's why they water the track in rallycross.

Qualifying was ok as the scenery was spectacular and the cars running through it was an impressive sight (much like the Dakar really). There were some good drives in there - the usual suspects Loeb, Sainz, Kristofferson, I was impressed with Taylor and Munnings too (particularly for hustling the car with the knackered tyre).
Old 4 Apr 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4044605)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to say it did not do much for me. Maybe after the hype I was expecting too much.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 18:53 (Ref:4044606)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually really enjoyed qualifying. But the race was poor.

I think it'd be better with staggered starts (Dakar/Rally/IoM style).
Old 4 Apr 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4044611)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It was boring, just like the E ice racing that's been on the box that finishes in the starting order
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Apr 2021, 22:07 (Ref:4044612)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The track was very boring, with barely any braking places. I'd prefer something a bit twistier.

In Reddit they said that the race aired in the Netherlands on RTL 7, a channel that has the slogan "more for men". Both announcers were old men.

I didn't catch my local broadcast on Fox Sports 3 (former Speed) because it was too early in the morning. Maybe I'll see a replay, but I'm pretty sure that they hired no female announcer.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 00:07 (Ref:4044619)   #10
chrisklein90
Rookie

United States
Florida
chrisklein90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why but I find it boring as well. My expectation is high and I find the event disappointing.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4044667)   #11
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My expectations were low and well they should have been lower. All the hype was about Hamilton and Rosberg where in reality they were nothing more than part of a big pr exercise.

The other hype was all about the environment so I assume the cars and personelle all arrived by flying carpet?

Not sure how the female drivers were chosen but im not convinced in all cases it was purely on driver ability.

Lastly the racing, there wasnt any to speak of and qualifying was drawn out and well dull after a short while.

Get rid of the hype, speed up the whole operation,have cars that look like cars, have heats and finals with more cars in and shorter tracks with mixed surface over 4 or 5 laps, and change the name to... hmmm let me think.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4044691)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
The other hype was all about the environment so I assume the cars and personelle all arrived by flying carpet?
How will logistics work without impacting the environment?
To reduce the carbon footprint of the series, all Extreme E freight and logistics will travel by sea.
The historic former Royal Mail Ship the St. Helena has undergone a multi-million-pound renovation, which included a full refurbishment of its mechanics and engines to ensure its efficiency and to minimise its emissions.
The 7,000-tonne vessel will be transformed into a ‘floating garage’ alongside being the operational base for the series. It is esti mated that travelling by sea will lower freight emissions by two thirds in comparison to air travel.

https://www.extreme-e.com/files/m239...-Extreme-E.pdf

Alejandro Agag, Founder and CEO at Extreme E commented: “Extreme E’s goal is to have a zero-net carbon footprint by the end of its first season, which means removing as many emissions as we produce. We plan to achieve this by following the United Nation’s framework which recommends reducing, measuring, and offsetting carbon emissions. The projects we will support will empower local communities to reduce emissions to help protect the planet, not just now but for the long-term.”
Old 5 Apr 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4044744)   #13
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How will logistics work without impacting the environment?
To reduce the carbon footprint of the series, all Extreme E freight and logistics will travel by sea.
The historic former Royal Mail Ship the St. Helena has undergone a multi-million-pound renovation, which included a full refurbishment of its mechanics and engines to ensure its efficiency and to minimise its emissions.
The 7,000-tonne vessel will be transformed into a ‘floating garage’ alongside being the operational base for the series. It is esti mated that travelling by sea will lower freight emissions by two thirds in comparison to air travel.

https://www.extreme-e.com/files/m239...-Extreme-E.pdf

Alejandro Agag, Founder and CEO at Extreme E commented: “Extreme E’s goal is to have a zero-net carbon footprint by the end of its first season, which means removing as many emissions as we produce. We plan to achieve this by following the United Nation’s framework which recommends reducing, measuring, and offsetting carbon emissions. The projects we will support will empower local communities to reduce emissions to help protect the planet, not just now but for the long-term.”
Thanks for the links, I knew of the boat but didnt know all the work that had been done on it or the money spent, sound like its straight out of a Bond movie!
What about from the port to the track? It was in the desert at least 3 or 4 hours from the nearest port I believe, some ingenious way of getting there?

Anyway maybe I shouldnt judge the whole thing after 1 round where the format had to be changed (dust in the desert, who would have thought?) With more actual racing it may improve but in a world where things have become very quick fire, stretching the thing out over 2 days may not be particually to the younger generation too popular.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 20:32 (Ref:4044749)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Thanks for the links, I knew of the boat but didnt know all the work that had been done on it or the money spent, sound like its straight out of a Bond movie!
What about from the port to the track? It was in the desert at least 3 or 4 hours from the nearest port I believe, some ingenious way of getting there?

Anyway maybe I shouldnt judge the whole thing after 1 round where the format had to be changed (dust in the desert, who would have thought?) With more actual racing it may improve but in a world where things have become very quick fire, stretching the thing out over 2 days may not be particually to the younger generation too popular.
Remember that if they're going carbon neutral (or carbon positive), then even if they use the most polluting means possible from port to track, they must make it up in other ways. So I think it's ok.

Similar to you, I;m trying not to judge it on 1 round. But I loved qualifying and then really disliked the race lol.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4044861)   #15
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were certainly good ideas. The cars looked nice and some of the course layout was pretty inspired. It was just the racing that made a mockery of it. And even if you're trying to do a carbon neutral series there's just something that feels instinctively wrong about racing on a glacier or in the Amazones. We've never raced there before and are those places really reasonable places to try and establish a new sporting event? It just seems like sensitive environments where it'd be hard to avoid a negative environmental impact.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4044669)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Coming from an "old farts" point of view I found it boring on the box, however it "might" be better if you were there ? Mind you MotoGP is brilliant and keeps me on the edge of my sofa more than F1, so certain motorsports do make good TV.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4044670)   #17
Joe Bernard
Rookie

Joe Bernard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it was weird. And also...bad.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4044671)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Coming from an "old farts" point of view I found it boring on the box, however it "might" be better if you were there ? Mind you MotoGP is brilliant and keeps me on the edge of my sofa more than F1, so certain motorsports do make good TV.
I imagine it'd be worse if you were there. The layout was large, so it wasn't like spectating would be good.

Pros
- Layout was cool. Like a mini dakar
- Lack of engine noise was not an issue. The fact these are electric made zero difference
- Coverage was high quality
- Qualifying was fun
- Good driving standards

Cons
- The dust made the actual race pointless. 30 second gaps were formed instantly
- The schedule was a mess. Finding actual start times was impossible, and they covered everything but the main race on YouTube?
- The driver change adds absolutely zero to the event

Honestly, I'd drop the wheel to wheel racing idea. Staggered starts like Dakar, Rally etc.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 18:06 (Ref:4044865)   #19
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The green message stuff is a load of poo really. The same with Formula E where there is a huge amount of work done with tricks and cranes to create the circuit.
WE shouldn't have to justify ourselves. Think of a PL soccer match, floodlights, coaches, spectator cars etc all using energy.
I found it incredibly boring.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4045294)   #20
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a big fan of rally raid I have to say it was really exciting!

It's an off road style series obviously but it was much more interesting than Formula E and a lot more challenging. For me it was a success and they gave a lesson to the Dakar which never showed a live in these years even for the classic short prologue.

I have watched qualifying first and it was a really good show! Cars are big and high with big wheels and a lot of wheel travel wich is just good on such a surface. The track was challenging: guys who race in Rally Raid like Sainz and Loeb had no problem at all; Kristofferson was just impressive, real talent! Guys with circuit background struggled like in the case of Button.

As for the races, yeah they were a bit disappointing with no real duels a part that for the first kilometer. I think the race format for the desert was wrong but I read that they were largely unlucky with no wind in contrast to the day before. So the sand could not be clean.

Anyway it's really more intriguing than FE, they have to sort some problems but it's a good start. It's less artificial than FE and I really appreciate that. Cars are mega, the only problem that has to be sorted is that related to the power steering.

I suspect that some pro girls are quicker than some male drivers like in the case of Sara Price, Cristina Gutierrez Molly Taylor and maybe Catie Munnings...
Old 9 Apr 2021, 20:25 (Ref:4045352)   #21
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it about 3 minutes, and gave up, just like FE it is nuanced garbage for people with an agenda, and the fact it's in Saudi, anyone who watched really ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4045675)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
I gave it about 3 minutes, and gave up,
Quote:
and the fact it's in Saudi, anyone who watched really ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Err. Ashamed of yourself?

I understand the reasons people think sport should boycott Saudi Arabia (and if I was organising the schedule Saudi would not be on it). I assume that, as ever, money talks. Slightly ironic that a championship with 50% female drivers (I'm assuming that's the highest ration outside of W Series) goes to a country with such a backwards view on women driving.

Quote:
just like FE it is nuanced garbage for people with an agenda,
Whilst I'd agree that all the environmental stuff they're pushing does seem a bit at odds with blasting cars around "fragile environments" it'll be interesting to see if they can point to any positive impact they've had - so in a years time for example what's changed as a result of Extreme E visiting a particular location. I'm assuming they'll have to be able to come up with some to jusitfy the continued existence of the series.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 10:34 (Ref:4045677)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Whilst I'd agree that all the environmental stuff they're pushing does seem a bit at odds with blasting cars around "fragile environments" it'll be interesting to see if they can point to any positive impact they've had - so in a years time for example what's changed as a result of Extreme E visiting a particular location. I'm assuming they'll have to be able to come up with some to justify the continued existence of the series.
They'll probably still produce oil to cope with the demand for more electricity
Old 12 Apr 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4045705)   #24
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I understand the reasons people think sport should boycott Saudi Arabia (and if I was organising the schedule Saudi would not be on it). I assume that, as ever, money talks. Slightly ironic that a championship with 50% female drivers (I'm assuming that's the highest ration outside of W Series) goes to a country with such a backwards view on women driving.
Though I agree that money talks is probably the main reason for competing there, and that it is questionable to race there because of those views on women, one can also flip this argument; since it is a nation with such a backward rhetoric, wouldn't that nation also be in dire need of changing its perception? And being so, isn't Extreme E actually doing something good in that regard?
Old 12 Apr 2021, 14:27 (Ref:4045706)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
since it is a nation with such a backward rhetoric, wouldn't that nation also be in dire need of changing its perception?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
And being so, isn't Extreme E actually doing something good in that regard?
That rather depends on if they're actualling highlighting that issue within Saudi Arabia or whether they're coming in, doing the event and leaving again without ever bringing it up with the powers that be.